Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2011 Spire GT-3 RGB Racer
yellowcab

posted on 7/7/14 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Andy - nice of you to be following the live timings - its a cool little app that Yep - had a blast…

Videos are uploading as we speak

Cheers Sean - shame you didn't come and make yourself known and have a chat I enjoyed Rockingham, just the infield is incredibly tricky to get bang on, time after time, especially once you begin racing in the mirrors.

Carpmart - yeah, more sleep would have helped, I won't deny that… hopefully won't be slumming it quite as badly at Anglesey… but we'll see lol

yellowcab

posted on 8/7/14 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Race 1 video - enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjVaMN6ba7w

[Edited on 8/7/14 by yellowcab]

yellowcab

posted on 8/7/14 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Race 2 video… better start and better position for turns 1 and 2… shame about 3 lol hey ho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7snRYbzvdA

yellowcab

posted on 8/7/14 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Also to follow my antics - please click 'Like' on my Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/emileoracing

Andy D

posted on 8/7/14 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Watched your vids. You're going really well, just need to make fewer mistakes. Simple eh! A bit more seat time, and I'm sure you'll be up mixing with the big boys.

You had quite a nasty little moment on the banking in the second race? Back end loose at 110mph plus probably?

yellowcab

posted on 8/7/14 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Coorrrrr you've got some good eyes and observational skills. +10 points

Yes that lap Tim H's engine detonated leaving an oil slick on turn 1, when in Parc Ferme it seems we all thought we were all going to die on that lap, horrible experience, and yes, circa 115mph, I will look at the telemetry later!

You'll see my slipper clutch wasn't slipping orrrr too much rear brake bias locking up the rear axel and stalling the engine when down changing into the last chicane before I came back onto the main straight, and when down changing into turn 2 into the hairpin

loggyboy

posted on 8/7/14 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Your very good under brakes, expecailly into turn 1 - you seemed to loose out slightly throughout the lap and then gain a lot back there. Shame about the two (and half) mistakes in a row in to the last chicane, as you would have been right on for another place or 2.

Time for a rear facing camera and some telemetry too!

Mistral Motorsport

Andy D

posted on 8/7/14 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Coorrrrr you've got some good eyes and observational skills. +10 points

I also noticed your dash was on the blink, and your transponder wasn't working.. 10 more points?

yellowcab

posted on 8/7/14 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
The dash was always on, its actually the refresh rate on the LEDs on the dash, and the GoPro refresh rate that sometimes match which appear for the lights to not be on lol
40inches

posted on 8/7/14 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
You don't drive with your hand on the gear lever! Doesn't that slow you down?

loggyboy

posted on 8/7/14 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not just blip the throttle on down shifts to help counter the engine braking?

Mistral Motorsport

yellowcab

posted on 8/7/14 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Got out the habit of heal & toeing from selling the MK lol
Andy D

posted on 8/7/14 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
The dash was always on, its actually the refresh rate on the LEDs on the dash, and the GoPro refresh rate that sometimes match which appear for the lights to not be on lol

oops, 10 points away..

yellowcab

posted on 11/7/14 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Some lovely panning shots from Daniel Sayles from Rockingham, capture the speed very well in deed

yellowcab

posted on 15/7/14 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Our Rockingham race weekend will be televised on MotorsTV this Thursday 17th July @ 1825 and repeated on Friday 18th @ 10:35

Freeview ch240
Sky ch447
Virgin ch545

loggyboy

posted on 16/7/14 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Just spotted this on ABs facebook page - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hMSyMnYPbg
thought to myself 'I recognise that blue car on the right!'

Mistral Motorsport

yellowcab

posted on 16/7/14 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Ahhh yes the staller!
yellowcab

posted on 16/7/14 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Final instructions are out for Anglesey Coastal Circuit, our next race weekend is:

Testing: Friday 25th July 2014 - All day
Qualifying: Saturday 26th July @ 09:25
Race 1: Saturday 26th July 2014 @ 13:35
Race 2: Sunday 27th July 2014 @ 13:20

loggyboy

posted on 16/7/14 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
Ahhh yes the staller!

Just a hesitant getaway that time, it was the 2nd race.

Mistral Motorsport

yellowcab

posted on 22/7/14 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'll take 25degrees

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6296618

loggyboy

posted on 22/7/14 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
When (or) are you at brands or thruxton later in the year?

Mistral Motorsport

yellowcab

posted on 22/7/14 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Neither this year - Brands was replaced this year by Rockingham, and Pembrey was replaced by Anglesey…

Two Silverstones this year, instead of two Doningtons

Maybe next year - there is talk of Croft (instead of / maybe) Cadwell Park

yellowcab

posted on 28/7/14 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Post race weekend ramblings:

So where do I start the 3h 30min journey ended up taking around 4h 40mins which is always fun, groan...

Got parked up in the paddock next to the Mittels and got unloaded, then it was time to put up three tents before sunset… that wasn't fun, I despise camping at the best of times exactly because of that, so wasn't ideal but we made it.

The car had been to bits in between Rockingham and Anglesey for one reason or another, so it was nice to have it all back in one piece - felt much more prepared again this time - with the car being in bits, it was another reassurance that I knew what I was driving that little bit more.

The confidence I had gained in the car from Snetterton to Rockingham, probably doubled between Rockingham and Anglesey - still not actually driving the car between races due to strict budget, but just seeing how things work and understanding the car really helped a great deal.

We took testing a little more seriously this time around - at Rockingham you see - I changed nothing in between sessions, which wasn't a waste, I just used it as valuable seat-time to see where the car was at, and to see how I got used to it.

This time, we had an idea of what we wanted to do between all the sessions.

First test session out was a corker, and the car felt incredibly planted and actually went where I wanted it to, rather than feeling like a passenger… so we came in happy with our times… and made a few changes…

Went back out for second session, and no sooner than the first lap I came back into the pits where Mike & Chris managed to get front and back clams off, changed the bump, rebound on all four shocks, and adjusted the corner weights back to our 'Option A', and altered the ride height all within 3m 47s… all whilst I was sat in the drivers seat waiting to drive off again, very impressive… really well done, I actually got back out the rest of that session and pulled my fastest time of the day, with the 5 laps I had remaining, my best time during testing being 1:12.62s

The rest of the day we made smaller tweaks, but nothing seemed to get the lap times down, but having spoke to other guys around the paddock, we were all suffering from the same heat issue, the ambient and track temperatures were just too hot, tyres were getting too warm, our engines were down on power due to the warm ambient… but hey ho - it was what it was.

It wasn't until Friday night after testing that we had managed to speak to Tim Gray to ask his opinion on my setup - and he was pretty shocked at how it was arranged, and gave us some advice on how to get the car feeling and acting better… I was particularly nervous to change the car as the next time I would drive it - would due qualifying, but hey, in for a penny in for a pound.

We borrowed some corner weight scales (cheers chaps) and sat on the lovely flat floor of Anglesey pit garages to set it up again for a couple of hours again on the Friday night.

Saturday morning arrived, I was still feeling a little un-nerved that I had got used to the car, and its characteristics all day on the Friday.

Up for qualifying on Saturday, went out - and the car felt awesome, very nice indeed, however Mike had noticed a certain knocking whilst the engine was running which I was oblivious to, due to having my earplugs in, I couldn't recognise any unusual sounds from sat in the drivers seat.

I went out qualifying, and my two best times were:

1:13.32s which put me 9th on the grid for Race 1
1:13.40s which put me 7th on the grid for Race 2

Despite being happy with 9th and 7th respectively on the grid, I couldn't help but be slightly peeved that I had managed to lose the best part of a second overnight - hey ho… just the way it is, this would have moved me up to a few to 7th and 6th on the grid.

Race 1.
Got a good start, but so did everyone by the looks of things, managed to lose a couple of spaces from 9th back down to 11th to Adrian Moore and Colin Spicer with his after-burner starts off the grid… but clawed them back after a lap or so, then it was a hunt behind David Wale & Tony Gaunt who were in 6th & 7th respectively… I was in 8th at this point.

Managed to pass Tony Gaunt, who claimed back his space, a good tussle for several laps, and managed to get in front on the second to last lap which gave me a 7th place.

By far my best 'race' as it felt like I was 'racing' rather than just finding a place on the circuit, and being too slow to catch the people in front, but just quick enough to keep those behind me, behind me… so this was my first actual feeling of racing.

Having watched the videos back, we made a few more changes to the car to try and improve things further more for Race 2… famous last words...

Race 2.
Again, a good start, but it seemed everyone had one, the changes we made was to stiffen up the front damping to prevent the car from diving so much, but maybe dialled in far too much as it had horrid understeer, to which I'd use the throttle to prevent it, and it quickly changed to oversteer making the car awful to drive.

After 5 or 6 laps I had learnt how to tame the beast and learned how to 'deal with' the car, and managed to hold on for a finish in 6th, this wasn't so much of a race as such, as it was the same scenario as I was slower than the guys in front, but managed to get a good gap to the guys behind.

Very happy overall with finishing 7th and 6th - my best yet, and great for my 3rd race weekend… so the noise that Mike could hear developing was unfortunately the hard casing wearing off the primary gear of the crank - so engine is now out, and new crank/ engine needs to go in.

Telemetry and videos show that I was down on power both days - so makes me more happy with my results in hindsight.

Got awarded the 'Driver of the Day' again for Race 2 on the Sunday… maybe because of my 4-wheel power slides onto the start/finish straight trying to keep the car facing in the right direction lol

Happy chappy in EmiLeo Racing camp… next stop - Silverstone International on Bank Holiday Weekend, 23rd/24th August…

Huge thanks to Chris (Proby) and Mike (cosmick) for their support over this weekend, and patience - we did it chaps, we did ourselves proud as the newbies!

Now to rebuild the engine!

[Edited on 28/7/14 by yellowcab]

yellowcab

posted on 28/7/14 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Some cracking photos from Dan Sayles:

Andy D

posted on 28/7/14 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Well done matey. I'd seen the results and thought you'd done well. But, you're saying you could have done better. Spot on! With or without testing, you're heading in the right direction eh!

What's happened the engine?

<<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.