Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Another one bites the dust.
Triton

posted on 2/9/05 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Jon,
Did you have a large washer same size as bearing?....This can help stop it falling apart...won't stop it breaking though.
Unless it was in place of plybush type in a "U"bracket that is?

Either way i think you is one lucky bloke....3 people killed near Milton Keynes in a convertible recently!!! upside down not nice.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/9/05 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to see that car in a sad state...... Still its better to live to tell the tale.
Been there twice.

shortie

posted on 2/9/05 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I am gutted Jon, lovely car and just when you were back doing some races, very glad you are OK.

Rich.

James

posted on 3/9/05 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
Christ, that looks nasty.

So glad you're ok Jon.

Sorry to hear about the car. Saw it in action last year at Donny, very much hope it'll rise again!

All the best,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

ned

posted on 3/9/05 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
ditto everyone elses comments, looks nasty, but glad you are ok, the car can be fixed. probably time for some upgrades anyway?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 3/9/05 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
Evenin guys, feeling a bit sore now so downstairs for a while,

The joint, quality type as fitted too many a race car.

Washer no, but held in a "U" bracket, it wasn't till i tugged on it I could feel/see the problem, 99.9% sure this was the problem as its the only corner of the car with zero damage and impacted on nothing, i dont think it was damaged during the incident. I also gave all four corners the same "tug" that revealed the dodgy joint before i went out so it was defo ok before i left.

Helmet, no, think about it guys, i was very lucky on that one.

Looking back now if it wasn't for race spec cage, bloody good harness and a well fitted seat I'm pretty sure i wouldn't be typing this, Ive had my fair share of offs, this was by far the hardest, from start too finish it covers 200yds, i went thru a hedge upside down, missed a telegraph pole, it dont bare thinking about.

Look after yourselves, I can assure you in the short time it was happening i knew how vulnerable i was and had more than enough time too think, "this is gonna hurt" the look on the guys face i mentioned above if i can laugh was priceless, honest he really did think he was gonna see much worse.

Chris G, if you can glass this back together your in the wrong job, having just watched Christine I could do with her help.

Pete, just round corner from young vanish, finished directley opposite farm inbetween gareden center and bolsover, now do you want the "if only bit"??

was heading towards home from Mansfield, got too young Vanish pub (500yds from home) instead of carring on down hill and home turned off for a couple more miles (well weather was nice) the rest is history, would have been home safe n sound had i gone straight on, and the pre run tug/check would have highlighted the problem before the next run........ If only ??

[Edited on 3/9/05 by Jon Ison]

Simon

posted on 3/9/05 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
Jon,

As per all other sentiments, glad you're mostly ok.

Before I saw this post I'd been looking at my roll bar thinking it could do with being more substantial, this has convinced me that post SVA, but before general useage it'll be getting some serious beefing up!!

ATB

Simon

Rorty

posted on 3/9/05 at 05:19 AM Reply With Quote
Glad to hear you're in one piece Jon. I would like to echo Fozzie's comment; I've never seen a rod end (that was properly rated for the job) let go other than as the result of a shunt.
If you're using anything over a 1/2" known brand race spec rod end, then I'd bet my left bollock (or the right one - you choose) that the rod end came apart during your excursion into the field.
If the rod end was loose, you'd have picked it up during your pre-drive check and if it had mysteriously loosened during the drive, you'd have felt the car shimmying.
I have no explanation why you ended up in the field (I'd have a couple of guesses though ), but I'm sure it wasn't the rod end that put you there.
I hope the combined recovery is quick and thorough.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

Andy North

posted on 3/9/05 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear about off, but the main thing is that you are okay.

If you need anything let us know.

mookaloid

posted on 3/9/05 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Just seen the carnage

Obviously to echo everyone elses comments - bad luck, glad you are ok.

I'm impressed with the way the chassis has held together and provided protection.
I think all builders should look at their roll over protection and ask if their cars would stand up as well if a similar situation.

MSA rules basically say that the top of your head should be below a line drawn from the top of the roll over hoop to the top of the engine in a front engined car or similar solid bit at the front that the car would rest on if upside down.

Sound advice - I'm having some mods done on mine to make this the case with mine!

Good luck with the rebuild

Cheers

Mark

TimC

posted on 3/9/05 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ouch - bad luck! Delighted that you're ok!

Was driving down the M4 at 9000rpm in 6th earlier today and thought "what if something broke?"

Oh f***! Now I'm worried - closer inspection before every drive me thinks!

[Edited on 3/9/05 by TimC]

bob

posted on 3/9/05 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Jon,as everyone else has said glad your ok.

Just got back from my hols and seen the post and pics,i think you are now officially the GT1 crash text expert by a long long way.

hearnia

posted on 3/9/05 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Apart from the damage to the car, you are one lucky man I would say.

Such a shame to see crashes but when its in a car you've spent time building, it makes it a little different.

Anyway good luck with the next project.

Peteff

posted on 3/9/05 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I went for a look this afternoon. It'll fix with some new bits and a lot of gaffer tape The farmer should charge him rent for the field he brought home with it .

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Jon Ison

posted on 3/9/05 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Been onto Adrian Flux this morning, if it continues in the same vain its gonna bee sorted pretty quickly, they are sending an assessor too to view it in my garage and are talking of making a "payment in lieu"

Keep you all updated, thanks for the msgs, feeling very stiff today apart from that fine, Pete is write though, the bodywork and suspension took a pounding the rest, chassis, diff, wheels ect are fine.

Avoneer

posted on 3/9/05 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Sledgehammer

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

mk blade

posted on 4/9/05 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to here about the car jon, but good to here you are OK.

No more racing for a while I take it, what you having in it for next year.

Tony.

chrisg

posted on 4/9/05 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison

Chris G, if you can glass this back together your in the wrong job, having just watched Christine I could do with her help.

[Edited on 3/9/05 by Jon Ison]

That'll t- cut out, no bother mate

What's the plan Jon, no more GT1's being made are you looking for a second hand one or are you going to build something else?

Cheers

Chris

SteveO

posted on 5/9/05 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Jon, like what all the guys have said glad you are ok.
donut

posted on 5/9/05 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Strewth, you're one lucky chap!! Glad you are ok.

Think i'll put a 1098cc MG Midget engine in my car

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

woodster

posted on 5/9/05 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
only just read this thread ........... Glad your o.k Jon sorry about the car
marktigere1

posted on 5/9/05 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto all the above.

Glad your okay.

Cheers

Mark

If a bolt is stuck force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!!!
(My Dad 1991)

David Jenkins

posted on 5/9/05 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Only a few days ago I was thinking that no forum member has had a serious "off" this year (last year was really bad). You've spoiled it, Jon!

Really glad you're still fit and well after that immense crash.

David

evo3500

posted on 6/9/05 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Jon What can I say.Seems only five minutes since i saw you at Harrogate 2 gt1 on the same day,mine and yours a rare sight.
Im glad youre ok one thing is for sure mk build a strong chassis when my mk indy hit a tree at over fifty side ways on at le mans a few years ago,it held together.my friend was having a go in it and he walked away just a bruised foot but it bent the car in half ask the woodster he has some pics.
If your rebuilding and need any measurements etc or want to come over youre welcome as car is coming off road soon for paint so body will be off.

Good luck Simon

ChrisGamlin

posted on 6/9/05 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Ive only just seen this post for the first time tonight, bloody hell! Glad you're OK Jon.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.