New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: towing car recommendations
stevebubs

posted on 27/4/06 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by GEORGE80
but what ever you do don't get a crappy rover, there so called sporty zr thing is shit, the rest are sunday granny wagons, type r or like joelp says a legacy, japanese is the best anyday,

[Edited on 26/4/06 by GEORGE80]

Nobody had mentioned the ZR -- the ZT 260 is a different beast entirely, where the lack lustre ZR was 95% Japanese Honda in origin the ZT is essentially a FWD BMW.

Actually, I think you'll find the ZT260 and all the other v8-based Rover 75s are RWD

Messenjah

posted on 27/4/06 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
get a landrover ittl tow all day and with a few mods ittl sit at 100 on the motorway even towing a trailer and if you paint it green and get an ex army trailer the police wont do anything about speeding with a trailer lol

and then you can go offroading which is much more fun then driving really fast even though its all done at less then 10 mph lol (well proper off roading is)

Ian Pearson

posted on 27/4/06 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Toyota Landcruiser 4.2 TD. Like towing from your armchair!
MikeRJ

posted on 27/4/06 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Can't think of a much more unsuitable towing car than a Type R (maybe a locost...). Towing wants plenty of low down torque, not high BHP at 9000RPM. The K20 engined Civic has a not unreasonable 145lbft, but it peaks at nearly 6000RPM which is just silly for towing. Interesting that Honda don't even specify a maximum towing weight for it either.

I'm not saying it's a bad car, as clearly it isn't, but as a car purchased with the intention of towing it wouldn't make it onto my list of candidates.

wilkingj

posted on 27/4/06 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
ALL of you have missed out some VERY important points.

First tot up the weight you want to tow (all in ie trailer + Load).
This will dictate which vehicles are Unsiutable.
All vehicles will have a bit in the handbook and you are looking for "Maximum Braked Trailer Towing Limit" For most cars this will be around the same weight as the car itself. BUT Check the manual, and dont assume it is the same as the car's weight.

This is the Maximum load the car is designed to tow.
The AA / RAC etc etc reccomend you DO NOT exceed 85% of that limit or the vehicles weight. Towing at 100% is not very nice and gives rise to instability between the tow car and the trailer.

I have towed regularly for many years and know this to be good advice from the AA / RAC etc.

If you tow in the upper limits of the weights, then I would thoroughly reccomend using an Anti Snake bar to dampen down the sideways movements. they are very worthwhile.

Most 4x4's of the larger type have towing limits in excess of the vehicle weight. my LWB 110 Land Rover will tow up to 3.5Tonnes legally. Again check the Handbooks for the vehicle.

If you are overweight with your towing limits you will have a dangerous vehicle, and would be liable to prosecution.

As for a Land Rover towing at 100Mph ALL Day, I think you have not done your homework. Most Land Rovers wont do 100Mph even without a trailer!
Please bear in mind that the Maximum speed for a car / trailer is 60 mph in the UK, and LESS (50) on non motorway / dual carriageways., and 30 elsewhere.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.htm

Just remember that if you have a heavy trailer say .. weighing in a 500kgs and a Locost, a set of spare wheels, some tools and 4 people in the car, I would think carefully, as you are probably near the Gross Train weight.

Also for the younger people on here.
If you passed your car driving test after January 1997, you may now need to pass a separate test (licence category B + E) to tow a trailer or caravan weighing over 750kg M.A.M. (Maximum Authorised Mass).

http://www.learners.co.uk/towing/towing-txt0.htm

I am not trying to be a Killjoy... just trying to mention important things that people seem to have missed.

Think carefully before towing..

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 27/4/06 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Geoff,

Good post!

ATB

Simon

JoelP

posted on 27/4/06 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
indeed, but to be fair, id guess that the dude who started this thread is around 28 (how'd i guess that?!) and he's on about towing around 1000kgs, so he's ok with any of the recommendations
wilkingj

posted on 27/4/06 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I was just pointing out a few bits that a lot of people forget. 97-2006 thats about 9 years, so it encompasses a lot of young drivers. It also depends on when you took your test, and not so much on how old you are.

Also if his licence is Post '97 he cant tow 1000Kgs without the towing test. Also this is more or less 100% car to trailer ratio, and would be limited to 750kgs if he hasnt passed the test.
He would be better off with a heavier car like a granada type size of car for 1000kgs towed weight.

I'm not trying to make it an issue, but a lot of people dont realise the change in the laws re towing and the licence categories.

Oh.. Also ensure your car insurance covers you to tow. Also whether it insures the load and trailer is another matter to check up on. You wouldnt want to loose a kit car / track car in an accident especially when you were not driving it. Most car insurances only give 3rd party risks for the trailer and do not cover the load, only the 3rd party damage it causes. Also check the towed cars insurance, as it may not cover it whilst being trailered, ie only when driven on the roads.

I have been through all these types of scenarios when setting up to tow my caravan, and fetching land rovers on trailers etc. The Land Rover and trailer came to just over 3 tonnes not including the towing landy. Thats 5+ tonnes gross weight, and you know it when you are towing 3+ tonnes

Also... ANYONE changing their address / anything on the licence, can have problems, as the DVLA have sent out a lot of licences without the classes on that you had on an older licence, ie towing and Class D1 for minbusses This is OK, but I have been told thay shred your old licence after a few weeks, hence you cant then prove you had the old classes on your licence. Be Warned, to take care and check the licence as soon as it comes back to you.

Right that will do for tonight...

[Edited on 27/4/2006 by wilkingj]

Best Regards
Geoff

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 27/4/06 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
i was worried about that one recently, as i passed around 99 i think.However, i found out that i can tow up to a total weight of 3500kgs i believe it was. Gimme 2 mins to find the link

quote:

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) OR a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/dl_towing_trailers.htm

so not as bad as could be, i believe the law just prevent noobies towing massive loads, which is fair enough

iank

posted on 27/4/06 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Bowler Wildcat - 1.39.4

Simon

Now that would make a nice tow car

wilkingj

posted on 27/4/06 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Joel,
What you have there is what you are allowed to tow.
Read the paragraph above which states:

Drivers who passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997 are required to pass an additional driving test in order to gain entitlement to category B+E and all larger vehicles. In addition to the new driving tests, drivers of vehicles which fall within subcategories C1, C1+E, D1 and D1+E also have to meet higher medical standards.

B is the car licence, and the E is trailers over 750 kgs.

Your licence covers you for a car and a trailer UP to 750Kgs, provided the trailer weighs less than the car, and the total is less that 3500kgs.
Over that you need a towing test.

Its not very clear, and too complicated. its no wonder that people dont take any notice.

Its all OK, untill you do a Selby train Crash or simmilar.

Best Regards
Geoff

JoelP

posted on 27/4/06 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
ah well, bollox to it anyway. i drove past great heck today!
ned

posted on 27/4/06 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
i say bollox aswell.

i passed after the 97 date. its beaurocratic (sp?!) bollox as someone who passed the week before isn't going to be any better a driver being able to tow the weight.

i've driven a 3 or 4 ton lwb american cheve camper with full steel enclosed trailer with race car, spare wheels, spare engine (iron block 2ltr), tools etc in it, probably over 5 tonnes in total. The likelihood of being stopped is also very low, especially if its only a locost on a trailer behind an estate car.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

TimC

posted on 28/4/06 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
i say bollox aswell.

i passed after the 97 date. its beaurocratic (sp?!) bollox as someone who passed the week before isn't going to be any better a driver being able to tow the weight.

i've driven a 3 or 4 ton lwb american cheve camper with full steel enclosed trailer with race car, spare wheels, spare engine (iron block 2ltr), tools etc in it, probably over 5 tonnes in total. The likelihood of being stopped is also very low, especially if its only a locost on a trailer behind an estate car.

Ned.

Yeah me too - three months late! However, surely any insurance is void if you're not properly licensed?

Will be taking trailer test soon...

Dillinger1977

posted on 28/4/06 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
indeed, but to be fair, id guess that the dude who started this thread is around 28 (how'd i guess that?!) and he's on about towing around 1000kgs, so he's ok with any of the recommendations

either startlingly good guess, or got the DOB off my art site

-Rog

Ian Pearson

posted on 28/4/06 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote

Geoff's 100% correct. It may appear to be "bolloxs" , but have a crash and you'll end up having no insurance.

Syd Bridge

posted on 28/4/06 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
The chance of getting stopped is low.....but....

It is not unknown for DoT and police to sit outside motorsport venues, and even camping sites, and weigh the trailers going in or out. (Heck, they were outside our local tip recently. The Marigolds and blue rinse brigade were having fits. )

Quite a number were done outside Brands Hatch not too long ago.

The Cops have a liking for most motorsport venues and trackday tracks when cracking down on trailers.

You have now been warned.

'Towing capability' and 'every day car' don't live happily in the same sentence.

For towing, I'd go with a transit diesel. I've towed a trailer with car aboard at 70mph on motorway, and got 40+ mpg. You would go a long way to find something to beat that.

Cheers,
Syd.

JoelP

posted on 28/4/06 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dillinger1977

either startlingly good guess, or got the DOB off my art site

"Dillinger1977" gives a clue

Dillinger1977

posted on 28/4/06 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
hahah oh yes, forgot about that

-Rog

ChrisGamlin

posted on 29/4/06 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Id have to agree with Ned seeing as he owns my old Bora TDi, but Ive now got a Leon Cupra which is another great towcar, and you can pick early ones up for less than £5k now. Its more fun to drive than the Bora but can't quite match the 42mpg I got with the bora whilst towing to Spa a couple of years ago! In fact it cant even get close without the trailer, giving ~30mpg on its own and ~25mpg towing

Chris

[Edited on 29/4/06 by ChrisGamlin]

cossey
Contributor

Posts 430
Registered 5/12/05
Location Kent

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a pile of bits that will someday be a fisher fury

posted on 29/4/06 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Joel,
What you have there is what you are allowed to tow.
Read the paragraph above which states:

Drivers who passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997 are required to pass an additional driving test in order to gain entitlement to category B+E and all larger vehicles. In addition to the new driving tests, drivers of vehicles which fall within subcategories C1, C1+E, D1 and D1+E also have to meet higher medical standards.

B is the car licence, and the E is trailers over 750 kgs.

Your licence covers you for a car and a trailer UP to 750Kgs, provided the trailer weighs less than the car, and the total is less that 3500kgs.
Over that you need a towing test.

Its not very clear, and too complicated. its no wonder that people dont take any notice.

he quoted the section on catagory b so was correct.
with catergory b you can tow trailer over 750kg as long as it weighs less than the unlaiden towing vehicle and the combine mam of the 2 is less than 3.5 tonnes.

Lawnmower

posted on 30/4/06 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
I was just pointing out a few bits that a lot of people forget. 97-2006 thats about 9 years, so it encompasses a lot of young drivers. It also depends on when you took your test, and not so much on how old you are.

Also if his licence is Post '97 he cant tow 1000Kgs without the towing test. Also this is more or less 100% car to trailer ratio, and would be limited to 750kgs if he hasnt passed the test.
He would be better off with a heavier car like a granada type size of car for 1000kgs towed weight.

I'm not trying to make it an issue, but a lot of people dont realise the change in the laws re towing and the licence categories.

Oh.. Also ensure your car insurance covers you to tow. Also whether it insures the load and trailer is another matter to check up on. You wouldnt want to loose a kit car / track car in an accident especially when you were not driving it. Most car insurances only give 3rd party risks for the trailer and do not cover the load, only the 3rd party damage it causes. Also check the towed cars insurance, as it may not cover it whilst being trailered, ie only when driven on the roads.

I have been through all these types of scenarios when setting up to tow my caravan, and fetching land rovers on trailers etc. The Land Rover and trailer came to just over 3 tonnes not including the towing landy. Thats 5+ tonnes gross weight, and you know it when you are towing 3+ tonnes

Also... ANYONE changing their address / anything on the licence, can have problems, as the DVLA have sent out a lot of licences without the classes on that you had on an older licence, ie towing and Class D1 for minbusses This is OK, but I have been told thay shred your old licence after a few weeks, hence you cant then prove you had the old classes on your licence. Be Warned, to take care and check the licence as soon as it comes back to you.

Right that will do for tonight...

[Edited on 27/4/2006 by wilkingj]

Apparantly, if you move and they 'update' your licesne, you can then reapply to have the former classes reinstated, but you will probably have to take a medical.

Also the ultimate tow vehicle has got to be the Landrover 101, 3.5 V8! got to atch it as an fully laden ambulance bodied 101 will be pushing the 3.5 ton class B weight limit.

Also, i believe only Land Rover actually states on the VIN plate that their vehciles are rated to tow 3.5 tons...L200, navaras, toyotas etc all have lower, if at all stated towing limits.

also if you are towing for busines, then apparantly you need some sort of vehcile haulage license....

Krismc

posted on 3/5/06 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry just to reply to original thread, i had a audi A4 quattro (RS4 replica)and it could pull a tank 1,9tdi with a super chip up to nearly 200bhp, superb and the toe bars are clip off so you can store in ya boot

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

greggors84

posted on 3/5/06 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Surely the part below from Joels quote. As it clearly states that with category B you can tow above 750kg aslong as it isnt more than the car and the total is above 3500kg.

quote:

OR a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

[Edited on 3/5/2006 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

wildchild

posted on 3/5/06 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
yep, so in actual fact you are allowed a train weight of 4250kg if it's a 3500kg vehicle with a 750kg trailer.

however if the trailer is over 750kg, the train weight has to be less than 3500kg.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.