New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: towing car recommendations
NS Dev

posted on 4/5/06 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dillinger1977
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
indeed, but to be fair, id guess that the dude who started this thread is around 28 (how'd i guess that?!) and he's on about towing around 1000kgs, so he's ok with any of the recommendations

either startlingly good guess, or got the DOB off my art site

ahhh, a good year, 1977!!!! May 25th for me!!

What I'll say on the trailer theme is very brief, can anybody cite the actual bit in the regs where it says you can't legally tow more than the weight of the towing vehicle????

I thought the total just had to be lessd than 3500kg or the tow car's GTW, whichever is less.

I have towed a 1250kg saab 900 on my 475kg trailer on the back of my 1325 kg Sierra 4x4, which I am guessing is dodgy!!

However, if you can't tow more than the weight of the tow vehicle in total then for pretty much any saloon car the tow vehicle needs a kerb weight of at least 1500kg!!! That means most car trailers with saloon cars on seen towed on the back of cars are being towed illegally!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

wildchild

posted on 4/5/06 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
It's already been cited in this thread! (see below)

I don't know what the rules are if you have a pre 97 licence, but even if it is allowed, you wouldn't really want to do it.

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i was worried about that one recently, as i passed around 99 i think.However, i found out that i can tow up to a total weight of 3500kgs i believe it was. Gimme 2 mins to find the link

quote:

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) OR a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/dl_towing_trailers.htm

so not as bad as could be, i believe the law just prevent noobies towing massive loads, which is fair enough

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.