Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I'm leaving LocostBuilders
andyharding

posted on 1/11/06 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'm leaving LocostBuilders

Because these bloody donate pages are doing my nut in.

Thanks to all those who have helped me along the way.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

smart51

posted on 1/11/06 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
You'd rather go away than pay a fiver for such a useful service?

To be honest I wouldn't have joined if I had to pay and I probably wouldn't stick around If I had to pay a subscription. I don't mind contributing a bit but I agree the donate page is quite annoying. What if it was appeared less often? Once per login, after the 2nd or 3rd post wouldn't hurt. A more gentle request?

stevec

posted on 1/11/06 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Why not just bung a fiver in the pot, It has to be worth it.
All the best.
Steve.

RichardK

posted on 1/11/06 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Fiver for this amount of knowledge! Money well spent if you ask me and I'm as tight as arseholes, ask the misses

Regards

Rich

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 1/11/06 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
I post & read a lot of posts, don't see the pop up that often, click "here" n its gone.

DarrenW

posted on 1/11/06 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
ive paid, dont mind a one off fiver but for how long does it keep the contribute pop-ups at bay???

Shame to see you go Andy. You are one of the genuine guys who will be missed.

Mansfield

posted on 1/11/06 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Whilst I have paid my fiver, there is no way I would have paid if I was new to the site. The contribution message will surely put off newcomers which is bad enough, but it is very bad news if you (any members with the same opinion) do not return to this site.

Five quid probably works out at 1p per site visit for me and is a great source of pleasure and knowledge. I dont know if I could be without it.

I cant decide whether I resent paying the money or not, but I dont see the message any more and I am not getting 'too many connections' errors etc.

I would hate this site to end up a closed shop, we all had to start some where ( I am still a build virgin).

Humbug

posted on 1/11/06 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to see you are going.

I personally don't begrudge the fiver (though I would think the nag screen should have gone by 10 days after paying up...)

Werner Van Loock

posted on 1/11/06 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
I must agree with Andy, these "adverts" are getting anoying. And the wordt is that I don't understand why. My guess is that there's about 300 active members on here? If they all pay a fiver then it makes a massive 1500.

I also run a website (
clubstylus ) and don't charge anybody anything, just because my whole cost is about 18£ a year including 1GB webspace with php and mysql database, no transfer limit and a .uk (for me a.be) domain. (one.com)

I also run a forum and the nice thing about a forum is that it maintains itself. Especially when you make other people moderator for some sections.

So to be honest, this site is only a forum, so why do people need to donate.

Is the hosting that expensive? Is it ran by a professional? I don't know, but I never ran into a forum before that has such a popup.

That there's a possibility (like the paypal link on top) that's ok. Put the message of the popup on top or start a topic for it, but for me the popup is over the top.

But to be honest it doesn't stop me from staying around.

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 1/11/06 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
I paid up waaaay before any of this because I thought ChrisW deserved a bit for the help this site has given me.

Stop moaning and pay up you stingy barsteward

stevec

posted on 1/11/06 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
If I were ChrisW I would be wondering why I bother,
Whats a fiver?
Steve.

JoelP

posted on 1/11/06 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, i think it more reflect the fact that this site is very entertaining, rather than specifically how much it costs to run. Coke dont just charge the cost of making a tasty drink, they make a profit too

Chris is just another guy trying to make end meet. I wouldnt begrudge him a fiver. Which reminds me, must donate again sometime!

Jon Ison

posted on 1/11/06 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Stop. dont want this thread too turn into who this n who that. Locostbuilders is better n bigger than that.

Uphill Racer

posted on 1/11/06 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Pop ups...........? what pop ups, never had 1..................is big brother intersepting them?...........
lexi

posted on 1/11/06 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyharding
Because these bloody donate pages are doing my nut in.

Thanks to all those who have helped me along the way.

Nobodys allowed to leave . You know what happened to Patrick McGoogan in his Seven
Alex

TangoMan

posted on 1/11/06 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
I don't begrudge a fiver as it is money well spent for the time and advice gained on here.
I think Chris deserves to be rewarded for his time and effort.
Having paid up some time ago though, I do get a bit hot under the collar when the donate screen comes up.

Summer's here!!!!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 1/11/06 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
paid my fiver younks ago, and not getting much value from it lately.

no one has ever left this forum - there isnt a button for it!

atb

steve

phelpsa

posted on 1/11/06 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
paid my fiver younks ago, and not getting much value from it lately.

no one has ever left this forum - there isnt a button for it!

atb

steve

You tried because you thought you had too many posts.... now look at Joel! Nearly 10,000

ChrisW

posted on 2/11/06 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TangoManHaving paid up some time ago though, I do get a bit hot under the collar when the donate screen comes up.

Drop me a u2u with the email address you sent payment from and I'll fix it. There are still 20-odd payments that I can't match up the email addresses to members, and the person hasn't given their username in the 'notes' section. I try my best, but I'm not a mind reader!!

As for the 'why should I donate' issue... I think it's been covered many times before.

I will turn the frequency of the popups down at some point tho... probably when I log on to the server in a few minutes to do a few more account upgrades.

Cheers, Chris

Simon

posted on 2/11/06 at 12:47 AM Reply With Quote
Fiver?????

I chucked 40 quid in the pot!!! That's less than a pound a month.

Ok, so I was a bit slow in coughing up to start with, but hey, better late than never

Look forward to my "Contributor" status

ATB

Simon

Danozeman

posted on 2/11/06 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
This site is well worth a fiver. I donated ages ago and again last week.

For the help,advice and banter thats goes on here its well worth it. Not to mention the top blokes you meet up with in the process.
Think of how many times youv asked or read something thats helped out. Well worth it.

As said you have to cover the cost of your time to look after it.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Micael

posted on 2/11/06 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
I'm a hardcore locoster, i don't like to pay for anything that has to do with my car. But this site is well worth the money.

There are two things a locoster don't do
1. Pay for car parts
2. Fry bacon without a shirt

Micael Moose Åman

Petrolhead and all around nice guy

"Don't leave the duck there. It's totally irresponsible. Put it on the swing, it'll have much more fun." //Sleep Talkin Man Dec 23 2009

wilkingj

posted on 2/11/06 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
I ran an Amateur Radio bulletin board for 10 years, back in the early 80's. All run over Radio connections using internet protocols and transmitted over radio.

There is always a cost in running something like this, even if its just the electricity and the time to housekeep.

a Fiver for access to this info its well worth it.

I have completed my build. However, I have made some very good friends on here, and still read through the posts. The build is never really finished, as I am thinking of converting to EFI and megasquirt.

If you add a fiver to the build cost of your car... will you really notice the difference, or abandon the project because you are £5 over budget.

I dont begrudge the money at all.

The Nag screens are a pain... and hopfully Chris has matched my used ID to my contribution

However, at the end of the day, its your choice...

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

02GF74

posted on 2/11/06 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
It is up to you.

It is my principle that I don't pay for using forums - in reality, I should be paid for contributing - I stated something along those lines when the contribution message first appeared.

... but then ChrisW pointed out how much he has paid to keep the site running as well as it is, and frankly it is a hell of a lot more than I expected ... so I rpise my wallet open ad sent a fiver; not much but every bit will help. (No doubt we'll be seeing photos posted of Chris' new Lamboughini!).

This is one of the friendliest sites I frquent, I find there is a lot of useful info on here plus I use it as a sounding board for different ideas; I certaihnly wouldn't like to see the site disappear.

Taz Surfleet

posted on 2/11/06 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
just out of curiosity how many of the moaners pay the £4 for each of the mags every month? and theyre shite (well they were when they were bickering at each other!)
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.