Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I'm leaving LocostBuilders
Werner Van Loock

posted on 2/11/06 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

... but then ChrisW pointed out how much he has paid to keep the site running as well as it is, and frankly it is a hell of a lot more than I expected ... so I rpise my wallet open ad sent a fiver; not much but every bit will help. (No doubt we'll be seeing photos posted of Chris' new Lamboughini!).

How much is it then? Must of missed something, but that's not too difficult, if I would read every topic on here it would be a full-time job.

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pdlewis

posted on 2/11/06 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
No offence Werner Van Loock but working with databse of this size demand huge resouces. Fair enough if you want to run a small forum it can be done very cheaply using cheap hosting service. The complexity of this site requires huge storage area (as we are allowed to upload unlimited pictures) and high bandwidth. Not to mention time investment by people to tune indexes which allow posts to appear to your screen as you hit the button!! (this is a bit of a black art as DBMS never quite do what you would expect

Cheers ChrisW

Just had a look at you site and the total volume of posts dont add up to a fraction of one topic on this site

[Edited on 2/11/06 by Pdlewis]

marc n

posted on 2/11/06 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
perhaps if more manufacturers / traders supported the site better then the user donation may be redundant,
without going into specifics, i have paid to be a trader and have a small banner then also contibuted what i think is a fair contribution for the benifits of being affiliated to this site maybe others could follow suit ???

just my 2p worth

[Edited on 2/11/06 by marc n]

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad dad

posted on 2/11/06 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
I have no problem paying but as per an earlier post i am not going to do it through paypal but as i have no other option i continue to be classed as "non contributor" and i was not alone re the payment method.....great site and i've found everyone really helpful and friendly......

Fred W B

posted on 2/11/06 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Text of email and U2U I sent chriss on 17th Oct, still waiting on reply and getting IRRITATED with the pop up

Cheers

Fred W B

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:14 AM
To: 'webmaster@locostbuilders.co.uk'
Subject: Payment from South Africa

Hi Chris

Thanks again for all you do for the locust/stratch builders etc community. I want to make my contribution, but Pay Pal does not work for South Africa. Do you have a bank account I can have my sister, who is resident in London, make a payment into?

Cheers

Fred

Werner Van Loock

posted on 2/11/06 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
no offence taken. And I do know that a board of this size takes time to maintain. I guess it started as a hobby and a one man job, but can ssume it's no one man job anymore is it? Because if it is, then i would call you crazy.

All I wanted to say is that the popup is a bit over the edge.

I know that my board is small, but it just started and only 43 members atm. Mainly because it's focussed on the Stylus.

http://www.clubstylus.be

ch1ll1

posted on 2/11/06 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
im not one for spending money on web sites,
but saying that i have paid, and will also pay in the future

as will my wife as shes fed up with paypal bit as well !
she signing up and going to donate(just to get rid of it)
as the site give her loads of laughs and shes not even building !

she loves this site ( as do i )
she loves the mad house section
she loves the silly post we all do from time to time,
the site is a very good site full of useful info,
how much would all this info be worth if you had to buy it in a book ?
so we all know £5 is not alot but its helped pay for all our builds

[Edited on 2/11/06 by ch1ll1]

NS Dev

posted on 2/11/06 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
£5 is nothing, this site means a LOT!

Another site I frequent requires you to be a full club member before you can access the interesting bits, you pay £25 a year to join the club and you get 4 thin magazines a year for the privelige plus a website, which is nowhere near as good as this one.

I think we all trust that Chris is doing an excellent job, and likewise, I feel that if he needs to put a donation request up, its for good reason so I will donate.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

martyn_16v

posted on 2/11/06 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
FWIW I run http://www.clubgti.com, and I know that it does take a lot of time (and funds) just to keep things ticking over. We pay in the region of 100 quid a month just for hosting, and that's not bad as we just renegotiated with our host for a new dedicated server. While data transfer and storage space is cheap as chips these days, it's the database usage that's the killer. Once you start getting more than a few dozen users on a forum at once the cheap shared hosting just doesn't cut it, if you're lucky the forum will just grind to a halt (along with everyone else's site on the server), if not the host will stop your database access for you.

A fiver is nothing, as soon as I get my internet access back so I can be here more than once a fortnight I shall be happily paying out

splitrivet

posted on 2/11/06 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ya tight fisted git Andy, I wouldnt mind but your the richest bloke on here .

I donated yonks ago but never got made to be contributor for some reason but the pop ups arent that bad.In saying that I dont use the site as much as others. It seems like some posters need advice on how to go to the bog.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 2/11/06 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

MikeRJ

posted on 2/11/06 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
£5 is nothing, this site means a LOT!

Absolutely, in terms of value for money it's outstanding. Unless you are on the breadline than a fiver really isn't a lot to ask.

JoelP

posted on 2/11/06 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
one more point to make, through this site i met one chap through whom i found a new fitting contract, must've had about 4.5k of work out of it, and another chap i again met on here, i work for him sometimes on a good day rate, it actually counts as money for nothing as i use him to fill gaps between other jobs.

And thats without even going into the car related info!

quote:
Originally posted by marc n
just my 2p worth

you only donated 2p?!

[Edited on 2/11/06 by JoelP]

greggors84

posted on 2/11/06 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Dont you run a web hosting business Andy? Sorry if im wrong.

Surely you must understand that it cost Chris money to keep this going.

In the past ive paid £10 - £20 a year for different owners club forums, and none were as active as LocostBuilders, nore did any provide as much information.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Peteff

posted on 2/11/06 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Shut the door after you,

Bye.

edit:- I've contributed but I don't want my name changing, I'll live with the nag screen thanks.

[Edited on 2/11/06 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

marc n

posted on 2/11/06 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

you only donated 2p?!

still got some calipers here with your name on them joel

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
darrenga

posted on 2/11/06 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
wouldnt be so bad if the messages would stop i contributed over 2 weeks ago now and am still getting the pop ups,i have email chris w to no avail
splitrivet

posted on 2/11/06 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Bye.

edit:- I've contributed but I don't my name changing, I'll live with the nag screen thanks.

[Edited on 2/11/06 by Peteff]

I dont think an old jumper, a bag of balloons and a handfull of clothes pegs counts Pete.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Peteff

posted on 2/11/06 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
I decided to keep the jumper as it's getting cold now, they weren't balloons BTW, but only two of them were used

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 2/11/06 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc n

still got some calipers here with your name on them joel

thats nice to know! I thought id left it so long that i would've been forgotten. I tried ringing on sunday but didnt get through, didnt want to leave a message incase i confused people! I'll be working all weekend, so maybe an evening sometime? Cheers!

ch1ll1

posted on 2/11/06 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
that's it, now Chrisw has gone and done it !
shes ( swmbo ) has only gone and joined and donated ! just to get rid of the pay-pal page !
nothing is secret anymore !

[Edited on 2/11/06 by ch1ll1]

marc laptop

posted on 2/11/06 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
yep no worries, you could even pick them up from my house ( south side of harrogate ) if its easier or can send them to you just let me know which is best via email

best regards

marc

ch1ll1

posted on 2/11/06 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
thought that was a secret

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.