Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Civic Based Midi
itsu-san

posted on 22/5/11 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
ENGINE IN DAY!

All the tig welding done by a mate. He's super talented with that torch! Slight problem with the engine fitment but other wise stoaked to bits!

itsu-san

posted on 7/6/11 at 01:21 AM Reply With Quote
Quick update,
There's been alot of progress lately. The engine has been in the fame and the engine mount have been fabricated and painted. The engine sits in the frame really nice.

Started the wishbones.

Thanks
Grant

itsu-san

posted on 4/7/11 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote

Hope to be rolling in 7 days!

ceebmoj

posted on 4/7/11 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
interesting update. What beings are you planning on using in the rockers?
coyoteboy

posted on 5/7/11 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
Rod ends in bending?
itsu-san

posted on 5/7/11 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Thats all just sitting there at the moment. Waiting untill i get the rockers back from being coated to press in the bearings. The rod ends are not loaded in bending. Thanks
coyoteboy

posted on 5/7/11 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Looks to me like they are in any sort of braking or acceleration?
itsu-san

posted on 6/7/11 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
The very nature of a rod end means it can't react a bending load. I can see what you're saying though. The rod ends will be in shear but thats fine. Thanks
v8kid

posted on 6/7/11 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
To be pedantic rod end shanks are in bending and will fail (eventually - if they are loaded enough) where the locknut mates with the wishbone.

Can be a bit more than pedantic in the case of high loads for example in the bottom outer bearing but I see you have that sorted. Aurora have an excellent article on bending loads in rod end shanks including worked examples. Looking at the sizes used I'd be very surprised if it was a problem though

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 6/7/11 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
I think you're missing what I mean. In your upper A arm the two inner joints hold the arm rigid front to rear, the top rod end (when loaded by braking torque) will be trying to move forward, resisted by the triangle. At which point your outer rod end is loaded in bending. Diagram time.

Your inner two are in shear primarily in he same situation (again, not ideal for a threaded part but possibly more acceptable), but there is a bending component to that loading due to the misaligned load paths. I'll try to do a better diagram later.

Rod ends are designed to be loaded purely axially.

EDIT > I don't have to, an expert already did it for me:
http://www.formulastudent.de/academy/pats-corner/advice-details/article/pats-column-rod-ends-in-bending/

[Edited on 6/7/11 by coyoteboy]

itsu-san

posted on 6/7/11 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Ah yep im following you now. Thanks for the diagrams. You are right the outer rod end will be in bending. I think it will be ok but ill do some worst case calculations tomorrow and post them up. Sometimes you have to compromise pure loading for other important atributes such as easy camber adjustment and more economical construction. I better be able to justify myself on this point!

HA thats an excellent article and one i wish i had read before spending two weeks building these arms! Not exactly helpful when the only advice is to 'Build some non adjustable arms"

[Edited on 6/7/11 by itsu-san]

coyoteboy

posted on 6/7/11 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Oooh an I just threw together an FE example to show you the inners in bending too (forgive the rather crude box section steel lol):
Inners free to rotate but not translate, load applied at the outer rod end vertically:

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/10257533/1/FEA?h=43392e

[Edited on 6/7/11 by coyoteboy]

v8kid

posted on 6/7/11 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
For those who prefer to use the old ways

BTW watch out it's big!!!

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
itsu-san

posted on 6/7/11 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Hey thanks for that. FEA can be a good visualisation tool. Do you mind explaining you BC's and solver method? What was your load/magnification factor? Cool seeing the compression buckling! Do you not think the inboard bending is in the arm rather than the rod end though? Have you seen any top a-arm designs that utilizes pure tension and compression loading while still having independent camber adjustment?

Cheers
Grant

itsu-san

posted on 6/7/11 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks v8kid! Interesting article. I have some thinking to do.
kb58

posted on 6/7/11 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
That's why it's so important to use check-nuts and that the seating surface is square to the shank. Tightened down, it moves the points of highest stress away from the threads and onto the check-nut mating surface. And of course, also keeps the part from backing out!

[Edited on 7/6/11 by kb58]

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

coyoteboy

posted on 6/7/11 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by itsu-san
Hey thanks for that. FEA can be a good visualisation tool. Do you mind explaining you BC's and solver method? What was your load/magnification factor? Cool seeing the compression buckling! Do you not think the inboard bending is in the arm rather than the rod end though? Have you seen any top a-arm designs that utilizes pure tension and compression loading while still having independent camber adjustment?

Cheers
Grant

Ignore the values, they were only put in to help aid visualisation of the problem as you say, and show bending in the rod end shank holding sections. It was done in Solidworks using the static solver (FFEPlus) It used an unrealistic 5000N force at the outboard end with the force in the forward direction as if under hard braking (not following the arm deflection, though that may be more accurate thinking about it, but the difference is minimal). The inner joints were allowed to rotate freely in horizontal plane but constrained in location. Another in there now with narrowings for the shanks of the rods, just highlights the bending in those spots.

The main bending moment is carried by your welded joint and the arm outboard of it, but there is still a bending moment in the rod shaft/arm joint location (though fairly small). I don't have time to go through a full model (if you have the dims I can do it in about 2 weeks time but I've a few things on my plate at the mo)

I've not seen any adjustable arms using pure tension/compression no, but I've no been looking tbh, I just spotted yours and thought you should be aware of the possible issue in case it causes a safety issue. Most of the time we use adjustments at the upright instead, or just re-make the arms with new geometry. It'll probably be fine for testing as you've covered the main lower arm outer joint problem, but I'd not be using it on the road, personally.

v8kid

posted on 6/7/11 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kb58
That's why it's so important to use check-nuts and that the seating surface is square to the shank. Tightened down, it moves the points of highest stress away from the threads and onto the check-nut mating surface. And of course, also keeps the part from backing out!

[Edited on 7/6/11 by kb58]

Interesting I never considered that. To maintain the stress distribution wouldn't the lock nut have to be tightened up to the UTS? If not as deflection commences one side of the lock nut will loose contact with the shoulder on the wishbone I would think.

Tightening the lock nut up that tight would really worsen the bending stress though - possibly -I need to do a force diagram of it but can't be bothered just now. I'll try googling it

Cheers!

PS I may be wrong here it depends on how the lock nut deforms it could be a bit of both scenarios leading to an overall gain - just as KB says. Phew - it takes a while for my brain to get into gear but at least I can put it down to incipient alzheimer's at my age.

coyoteboy

posted on 6/7/11 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Anim of the bending...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bucklevision/5908375291/in/photostream

Regardless of check nuts, you still have the shank in bending (unless you're making no use of the check nut and have it right out at the bearing end, minimising shank extension.

Doug68

posted on 6/7/11 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
This is not that an uncommon thing to do, the picture below is from the RCR cars website and their vehicles seem pretty well respected.

I think that the only answer is to know the specs on the parts involved and do the math to see if you're going to get anywhere near causing a part failure.

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

itsu-san

posted on 7/7/11 at 04:57 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting doug.

I managed to get some specifications for the rod ends today. The rod ends i have are for motorsport use and are of two piece design with a special ball retantion chamfer which apparently makes them able to take a significant axial load! They are made from cro-moly and the shank strength is similar to grade 8.8 bolts.

Just trying to find time to run the numbers now.

Got the rockers back from the platers and pressed the bearings in.

Thanks
G

[Edited on 7/7/11 by itsu-san]

coyoteboy

posted on 7/7/11 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Doug - those bones are tiny, making the leverage a lot lower, but I still don't think it excuses it - it's poor (sorry!) design for the sake of easy manufacture. It's the number one, first and primary no-no in most modern suspension design instruction. If you can justify it by calculating max loadings, proving cyclic stress on a threaded, notched part is within limits then fine, but it's so much better to do it the right way.

Those rockers look beautiful!

[Edited on 7/7/11 by coyoteboy]

itsu-san

posted on 7/7/11 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Yes you are right and im very glad and thankful you have taken the time to explain this rod end in bending business. This is the problem with trying to build a race car with no formal motorsport experience! I have done some preliminary calculations today and believe i can get away with this design safely if i increase the outer top ball joint from a 14mm to a 5/8" rod end. It's not a nice design and if it was feasible to change it without starting the whole car again i would but i need to continue with this design (as long as i can prove its not going to fail) and use it's inherent adjustment to learn what geometry works for future projects.

Here's all the components laid out ready to go. I need to spend about a day making a few more spacers then we should be able to get it rolling in a day!

Ill get a peer to critique my load calculations and then i will post them up.

Thanks
Grant

coyoteboy

posted on 7/7/11 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
TBH I'm pretty damn impressed with the lot, while the arm issue could be a problem (we'll see with your maths) it isn't terminal - you could re-create the bones later with smaller offsets and a more suitable bearing/bushing style if it did pose a problem.

Keep up the good work.

v8kid

posted on 7/7/11 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Guys I really don't think there is a problem - race cars use 3/8" rod ends in the bottom lower outer wishbone and get away with it for a while - but they do fail in that location.

Remember that by the time you get to the inner rod ends most of the forces have been divided by 2 or siphoned away by the springs.

Cheers!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.