Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: F1 goes to Sky
blakep82

posted on 29/7/11 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
and i guarantee you it won't be on sky sports 1 OR 2.
most likely it'll be on 3 or 4, for which you have to have 1 AND 2 to get.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

lewis

posted on 29/7/11 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Am a avid f1 fan and watch all the races but refuse to pay sky's Extra tax for sports so will also not be watching anymore! Not good for anyone
GeorgeM

posted on 29/7/11 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
never had sky, as I refuse to give money to murdoch
freesat & freeview give almost everything that sky do and it's FREE
also got the same recording facilities that sky+ has FREE
there are still a lot of people that think different, but there is no need
to give them anything if you only have the basic package.

I wont go to premiership footie anymore either, sky have fuelled the
wages & I'm not giving money to the likes of rooney & co to buy
yet another car/house/etc. I watch league 1.

I'll watch the F1 when it's on the beeb, the others I'll have to see the highlights....

My conscience is clear - I drive a GREEN car
MNR Racing
essexkitcarclub.com

franky

posted on 29/7/11 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
Shit news, as an F1 employee I'm going to have to fork out for shitty sky to to see just a couple of races.

What is really sad is that for the forst time in over a decade (since the Brundle/Walker team) we actually have a really good comentary team with MB and DC.

I bet Sky bring in some screeching reatrd like James Allen..... or even worse.... James Allen himself.

If you're an F1 employee you should be able to see it for free as coverage is provided by F1 to thrid parties etc. I know for sure that everyone F1 related gets a free feed if they're working on the races/main factories. Not too sure about 3rd parties though.

As someone who contracts to sky I think its a good move as there might be a few fly away's in it for us

matt_gsxr

posted on 29/7/11 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Such a shame.

I used to watch Rugby, but now don't know what is going on.
I have enjoyed F1 with my eldest son, but I guess this will stop too.

Sadly it will hit the UK teams as their merchandise sales are needed to bolster their finances.

At least we can get some of the money back as Income Tax from Bernie's profits, and the savings for the BBC will be reflected in a lower license fee. NOT.

The answer is to forget F1 and go and watch local motorsport events. Much more involving and dirt cheap.

Matt

Neville Jones

posted on 29/7/11 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
as an F1 employee

AS AN F1 EMPLOYEE, you can see it for free at the factory on the live feed all teams get, and it's from SKY.

My young fella does.

So why will you have to pay?

Cheers,
Nev.

[Edited on 29/7/11 by Neville Jones]

BenB

posted on 29/7/11 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
That sucks. No way I'm paying Murdoch for F1. What happened to the Concorde Agreement saying that F1 had to remain free to air?

My understanding was that FOTA was very keen that it remained free to air.

tony-devon

posted on 29/7/11 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Im just another of those thats already posted, I dont have sky, refuse to pay for a load of rubbish I wont watch, Im now seriously considering just ditching the TV license, we did this for 6 months or so a while back, just watched DVD's and played games etc

didnt even miss it to be honest, its all repeats, and now with the loss of the only sport I like to watch, this might be the final nudge

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JacksAvon

posted on 29/7/11 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
sick sick sick.

Murdoch = reptile

Bernie = reptile

Fans treated like scum...........again.

Save whatever money you would give these cretins and support your local motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 29/7/11 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
It's simple economics - the contract goes to whoever places the highest bid. BSkyB has money, the BBC are trying to cut their expenditure left, right and centre.

And maybe Bernie won't mourn the loss of many British fans, as there are plenty of other countries with fans prepared to pay.

The economics may swing it back though, as when (not if) the viewing figures plummit the sponsors that pump millions more into F1 than Sky (will) do, will be knocking on Bernies door asking why their target audience arent watching anymore.

blakep82

posted on 29/7/11 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
It's simple economics - the contract goes to whoever places the highest bid. BSkyB has money, the BBC are trying to cut their expenditure left, right and centre.

And maybe Bernie won't mourn the loss of many British fans, as there are plenty of other countries with fans prepared to pay.

The economics may swing it back though, as when (not if) the viewing figures plummit the sponsors that pump millions more into F1 than Sky (will) do, will be knocking on Bernies door asking why their target audience arent watching anymore.

i'm not convinced. this only really affects us in the UK surely? perhaps a small knock on effect for some other countries. the sponsors are mainly global, so its not going to affect viewing figures in germany, france, australia, usa, france spain etc etc we're just a drop in the ocean really. don't know, just the first thing that sprang to mind

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MikeR

posted on 29/7/11 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
As I already pay the sky tax (misses insists we have it). Sky sports is justified as the additional cost = about what it would cost me to watch 'live' the few Wigan Athletic matches they screen so therefore I'll get this 'free'.

Still miffed. In principle it should be free to air & the team the BBC have got is excellent.

I just hope something is done somewhere to make sure it stays free.......... on the slightly brighter side, BBC will have highlights of every race - has anyone defined how long a highlight is?

(well that would be my attempted approach if i was a BBC mgr)

mikeb

posted on 29/7/11 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I know it highly unlikely but no where does it mention sky will charge, I guess we are all assuming they will as skysports is generally pay for view but surely thats an assumption? Just thought I'd throw that in
Daddylonglegs

posted on 29/7/11 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Good point Mike, but I very much doubt this is done without some HUGE financial benefits to someone (more than likely B.E.)

Maybe we should launch our own 'Locost' coverage?

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

loggyboy

posted on 29/7/11 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i'm not convinced. this only really affects us in the UK surely? perhaps a small knock on effect for some other countries. the sponsors are mainly global, so its not going to affect viewing figures in germany, france, australia, usa, france spain etc etc we're just a drop in the ocean really. don't know, just the first thing that sprang to mind

Yes, but I would expect the UK makes up a reasonable percentage of the viewers, and top sponsors like Vodafone (largely uk based), RBS, Santander (still a newish name to the UK and wanting to impress since renaming the well known Abbey brand) will value the UK exposure alot. Not to mention most of the teams are UK based, even if they arent UK owned.

Viewing figures are largely effected by the nationality of drivers/teams, so the UK, germany, italy etc are well represented. I doubt the US, french based sponsors have that much interest in F1.

loggyboy

posted on 29/7/11 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikeb
I know it highly unlikely but no where does it mention sky will charge, I guess we are all assuming they will as skysports is generally pay for view but surely thats an assumption? Just thought I'd throw that in

It wont be pay per view, but will be subscription based, the title gives it away http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12433_7066182,00.html

They wont un-encrypt skysports for one event.

[Edited on 29/7/11 by loggyboy]

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 29/7/11 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
quote:
as an F1 employee

AS AN F1 EMPLOYEE, you can see it for free at the factory on the live feed all teams get, and it's from SKY.

My young fella does.

So why will you have to pay?

Cheers,
Nev.

Ah its captain know it all.... who knows bleep all.

You are wrong, I can't see it for free at work. Just because I work in F1 doesn't mean I work for a 'team'.

Maybe when Sky get the contract they may change this.

Seeing as you are unable to read properly I will reiterate that my main annoyance is that we may not have the great comentary team of Brundle/DC for all of the races, F1 has suffered from a lack of a decent comentary team since Murray left but now we are finally back to a great team again and we may lose that.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Alan B

posted on 29/7/11 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
DDD,

Why single out Nev for an uncalled for verbal bashing? He wasn't the only one to point out something you may not have known.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skydivepaul

posted on 29/7/11 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
As I already pay the sky tax (misses insists we have it). Sky sports is justified as the additional cost = about what it would cost me to watch 'live' the few Wigan Athletic matches they screen so therefore I'll get this 'free'.

Still miffed. In principle it should be free to air & the team the BBC have got is excellent.

I just hope something is done somewhere to make sure it stays free.......... on the slightly brighter side, BBC will have highlights of every race - has anyone defined how long a highlight is?

(well that would be my attempted approach if i was a BBC mgr)

good point mike
After my initial rage on the subject I had a look at the bbc f1 website to try get some more details.
they quote
half of the races they will broadcast live including silverstone & monaco
the rest they will show highlights -
they will also show live qualifying and practice on the friday & saturday

so we are gaining the practice sessions for what they are worth.

just trying to see some good in the situation!!

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

Neville Jones

posted on 29/7/11 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I can't see it for free at work. Just because I work in F1 doesn't mean I work for a 'team'.

And there was me thinking, like a great number on this forum, from what you've said on this forum, that you actually worked for an F1 team! ( Well, I didn't actually, I'm old enough now, and worked in enough areas, to smell bovine manure at a hundred paces. )

On that basis, I could say I work IN F1 as well, but life is just far to short for that sort of bullshite.

And I don't 'know it all', I've forgotten most of it! Just remember the bits that count.

My take on the move to Sky is that it is all about money, obviously. The teams get a share of the advertising and TV rights revenues. So, the teams won't be too upset.
F1 has Bernie negotiating rights, and his company(?) he's negotiating with. You work it out??? They just want far too much for BBC to afford it, and so BBC has had to let it go, and quite rightly so, as a corporate decision. It's just got far too expensive for an entity such as BBC to buy in. Thems the breaks. Us poor viewers just have to suffer and be grateful for the crumbs they hand out.

Does Bernie still own the company that owns the tv rights?

NASCAR used to be good to watch, but Rupert Murdoch got that as well! Plick.

Cheers,
Nev.

dlatch

posted on 29/7/11 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
another kick in the balls for the F1 fans
all the F1 teams want is max coverage and thats means the best home for the sport is on free to view.
i think the viewing figures will take a huge hit as there is no way i will pay sky to watch the races.
ultimately this is bad for F1 in the long run too less coverage means teams will leave the sport and advertise else where.
Sad day for the sport imo

Kwik

posted on 29/7/11 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
is there any other english speaking country with F1 coverage we can stream so we dont listen to the sky presenters?

and anyone want to know who they are? brace yourself...

keith huewen, jonny mowlem and jon mickel and in the studio back in london, guest "expert" john watson

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/07/29/keeping-f1-freetoair/

also that link gives some hope... maybe?

ChrisW

posted on 29/7/11 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Don't panic guys. I'm sure if we all club together we can get around this problem...

Chris

David Jenkins

posted on 29/7/11 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Having read some of the proposed changes due for F1 I shall have even less interest than I have at the moment.

I'd rather watch general club racing...

will121

posted on 29/7/11 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Having read some of the proposed changes due for F1 I shall have even less interest than I have at the moment.

I'd rather watch general club racing...

I agree, while i watch every race at the moment i very rarely watch them live as its still 90mins of limited excitement, rather end up watching the highlights which BBC will still have so i wont be spending out on Sky any time soon

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.