<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: F1 goes to Sky
DRC INDY 7

posted on 29/7/11 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I watch friday free practice on bbc i player
Kwik

posted on 29/7/11 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
for me, F1 is the only motorsport i have properly got into, i dont want to start all over again with BTCC or something again....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 29/7/11 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
DDD,

Why single out Nev for an uncalled for verbal bashing? He wasn't the only one to point out something you may not have known.

"nev" tends to single himself out.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

morcus

posted on 29/7/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Terrible news.
Like alot of the above I don't like watching anyother sports, and at the moment I have to record most of the races anyway so I really don't see the point in paying the extra.

I found this news a real surprise given whats happening at the moment and what Bernie said LAST WEEK about F1 never going off free to air tv. This leads me to believe that Bernie did at least fight this and that he's probably the one who managed to secure us half the season on BBC.

I too think the current BBC team and set up and graphics are brilliant and I know they won't be replicated by sky. We'll get excitable Idiots shouting about things they don't understand. A Friend in Canada told me they get both BBC and US broadcasts of races and said the US ones are unwatchable because of the bad commentry teams and Ad breaks. At least BTCC has gaps to put the ads in.

I doubt it would make any difference but as this is going to be unpopular with alot of people, maybe we should petition FOTA or the FIA or whoever.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Mark Allanson

posted on 29/7/11 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
If ITV and BBC had any balls, they just wouldn't report the races, it would all go quiet and F1 would fall into obscurity.

Are we sure it isn't just another Bernie blinder, like the GB race moving to Donnington from Silverstone?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

PSpirine

posted on 29/7/11 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
I'm really upset about this.

I've not watched F1 properly for several years as it had got absolutely boring - tried to get back into it last season..

Then this year comes along and provides an exciting race, every single race, regardless of whether Vettel wins or not, with absolutely amazing pre-race coverage by the BBC and excellent race commentary. Even my gf (to whom F1 is the most pointless boring thing ever) got interested and watched a few races with me!!!

If we lose all the great commentary, production and coverage, it's going to revert to just being a show for die-hard F1 committed fans, many of whom I reckon will get put off by not being able to (or willing to) watch it on a free channel.

On a slightly side note, I wish people would stop complaining about the license fee. It's much better value for money than any SKyTV package as the BBC is probably the only channel I know of (in several countries) that puts together truly good shows and has no commercials!
Of course if we start losing a lot of this content to sell-outs, then it may become a more valid point

loggyboy

posted on 29/7/11 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
This leads me to believe that Bernie did at least fight this and that he's probably the one who managed to secure us half the season on BBC.

I really doubt that, bernie IS F1, if he didnt want something it wouldnt happen.

MikeFellows

posted on 29/7/11 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
ive been following this for a few months, not just todays headlines.

my understanding is we should be glad the BBC has any F1 at all. there was talk at one point of them dropping F1 altogether at the end of this season. with ITV ruling themselves out nobody else can afford it.

personally my only concern is the same as a previous post, the presenters and commentators have upped the game on the BBC, it would be a real shame to lose that or to have a mish mash of presenters (in which case since SKY will be showing them all I wont watch it on BBC)

D Beddows

posted on 30/7/11 at 01:57 AM Reply With Quote
[Edited on 30/7/11 by D Beddows]
Mark Allanson

posted on 30/7/11 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
[Edited on 30/7/11 by D Beddows]

Completely!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Neville Jones

posted on 30/7/11 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Having read some of the proposed changes due for F1 I shall have even less interest than I have at the moment.

I'd rather watch general club racing...

Probably the best comment yet.

Go watch 750mc club events. £10~£12 on the gate, you can get up close with the cars and even speak to the drivers, and the Locost racing is among some of the closest you will see.

Cheers,
Nev.

karlak

posted on 30/7/11 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
I reckon the current commentary team will be very quiet on the Subject.

They don't want to upset Sky at the moment as they are likely to be "poached" over to Sky for commentary.

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

scootz

posted on 30/7/11 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
TBH, I think both Brundle and DC are wealthy / vain enough to refuse SKY's offer to broadcast to no-one and stay with the Beeb for half the races and actually have an audience!

I really think SKY has misjudged this one. F1 is ingrained into the UK viewing culture because it's a premium sport that's always been available to everyone FOR FREE. A lot of folk simply switch the F1 on because they've always done it and over time they have assumed a passing interest in what goes on in the sport. Only the absolute diehards (who are very much in the minority IMHO) will pay to keep watching!

It's Evolution Baby!

onenastyviper

posted on 30/7/11 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Why are so many people angry?
Can you not still watch F1 for free?
Can you watch F1 live if you can afford it?
Will life continue if you don't watch it?

Before people get royally pi$$ed think of this:
Would the teams and drivers race even if there was no-one to watch?

morcus

posted on 31/7/11 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
No, because they'd have no money.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

escary

posted on 31/7/11 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
bbc could save by giving up motogp

why not?

Maybe i'm biased having watched motogp on eurosport for years, whilst the series is poor at the moment ( and has been since the numbers started dropping away, loosing teams like wcm and kenny roberts were genuine low points )

Eurosport lost live coverage of the motoGP and for a year split up a team that hasn't reformed, still miss Mamolas input

all because the owners / operators of MotoGP demanded that it had to be free to air,

Maybe i'm the only one that feels that the BBC MotoGP coverage is lousy, the commentators need to go, a free to air sport that requires digital input to see all three races, qualifying et.c. not everyone buys into it , or can

My message would have been. Stop the bad coverage of MotoGP, spend the money either on F1 directly or alternatively on programmes that can be created, evolved, improved and sold for maximum profit to other countries that then create enough revenue to allow the continued free to air quality of the current F1 coverage.

The UK

creates F1, has the 1st race, is built on UK principles, has been operated by UK teams for its greater precentage of teams since it's conception, F1 DNA is from the UK.

either there genuinely isn't enough interest in the UK for the BBC to retain / invest , or the sport is happy to turn it's back on its creators, they are only famous because we the paying public let them be.

The more i write the more i think that we should ignore the lot of them and build sportscars

dan8400

posted on 3/8/11 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not the biggest Bernie fan by a long shot but I don't see why so many people are bashing him for this? If the BBC cannot afford F1 that isn't his fault.

I am a diehard F1 fan and subscribe to sky for football etc etc so I will not miss any races. I love the BBC coverage and the commentary team. I also love what they (The BBC) have done with the graphics and features like: the forum, build up show, behind the scenes (like in the merc factory with MS for example) and the free practice on the red button.

The only way I will be 100% happy with the Sky coverage is if they retain all of the above (free practice etc etc) and get at least DC and MB on board and maybe Jake H. Eddie I can take or leave as he rarely offers the insight his CV suggests he could. Oh....and if there are no adverts during the race.

I read about a guy in Brazil who says they have 10 - 15mins of adverts before and after so they see the whole race without a break.

Not an ideal situation and I genuinely feel for those who cannot stretch to sky and are die hard fans. Or to those who do not watch sky but want to see F1, it is a bad move by the Beeb.

+1 for dropping moto gp. This season is pants. I kind of got into it last year but its dire now

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

Kwik

posted on 4/8/11 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/57

everyone sign, we can at least try every means possible, whether you think they will care or not...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
franky

posted on 4/8/11 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe the BBC should just give up paying for football rights to the carling cup etc. They pay far more for football crap than F1. They pay hardly anything for MotoGP, next season going back to 1000cc engines should be much more fun to watch.
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.