Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tuition fees
phoenix70

posted on 20/9/11 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
if you want to blame anyone for this debacle, blame the UK government, instead of wasting money on Wars, Aircraft Carriers, MP Expenses, Foreign Aid, Nuclear weapon systems, etc, etc, etc, they might have enough money to give the kids free tuition.
britishtrident

posted on 20/9/11 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phoenix70
if you want to blame anyone for this debacle, blame the UK government, instead of wasting money on Wars, Aircraft Carriers, MP Expenses, Foreign Aid, Nuclear weapon systems, etc, etc, etc, they might have enough money to give the kids free tuition.

That Foreign Aid has increased makes my blood boil it isn't even tied to British companies getting any contracts that result. The aid money or at least 95% of it all ends up ion the hands of local dictators and gangsters anyway.

Trident why the F do we need it anymore except to make who ever is at number 10 feel one of the big boys, we can deliver nukes to any likely target by much simpler means that don't depend on giving vast sums to the US.

Aircraft carriers we actually might need but they scrapped the bloody (freshly rebuilt) aircraft and have wasted a huge ammount of money on developing a special version of US aircraft that dosen't deliver instead we forced to order a non stol/Vtol version that we could have had much cheaper. The hulls will be rusted through and the aircraft obsolete before a single sortie is flown

Lack of aircraft carriers might be less of a problem if we hadn't scrapped the rebuilt Nimrods that we had already given BAE billions for -- rant over !

[Edited on 20/9/11 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

fesycresy

posted on 20/9/11 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

You forgot immigrants, lazy sick spongers and dole lay-abouts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

cliftyhanger

posted on 20/9/11 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy
quote:

You forgot immigrants, lazy sick spongers and dole lay-abouts.

oh dear, I am probably in there somewhere then.
Besides, my opinion is firmly that over half the university population really shouldn't be there. If average and above get into uni, it tends to devalue a degree rather.
And many uni's are selling courses that have no useful purpose. As in no employers takes the resulting degree seriously.
No, I am not being a snob, trying to down the students or anything else. What this country really needs are far more people learning to do real jobs that are worthwhile. They used to be called apprenticeships, but have all but disappeared

On the other hand, having seen the way loans etc will be paid back, it doesn't seem unreasonable

scootz

posted on 20/9/11 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with a lot of what you say... there are FAR too many university students and too many 'nothing' degrees.

It's Evolution Baby!

Ninehigh

posted on 20/9/11 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
True, it would appear the English are being the victim of discrimitation...

mcerd1

posted on 20/9/11 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I agree with a lot of what you say... there are FAR too many university students and too many 'nothing' degrees.
Another part of that problem is that the useful degrees (e.g. engineering, science, medicine, etc....) are generally the really expensive ones to teach

when I did my engineering degree a few years back we must have had an average of 20 hours of lectures a week over the whole 4 years (first year was something like 35 hours a week) and we had a massive workshop full of expensive toys - compare that to an arts degree with a couple of hours a week teaching time and minimal facilities

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Lack of aircraft carriers might be less of a problem if we hadn't scrapped the rebuilt Nimrods that we had already given BAE billions for -- rant over !
what do you expect form the same MOD who ordered the 'wrong kind' of chinooks

[Edited on 20/9/2011 by mcerd1]

-

morcus

posted on 20/9/11 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
You can blame the last government for the number of extra people at uni who shouldn't be there and the whole thing cause a huge number of problems, e.g. there are a huge number of jobs you have to have a degree to have a chance of getting that really don't need a qualification like that. Devolution is a massive waste of money in itself, do people really need there area to be represented by about 4 different representatives who are all getting a salary much higher than the average working wage? 4 people who though representing the same people could quite easilly be working against each other and in cases have no say whatsoever over what happens in their own constituency? When I lived in Glasgow I voted to send soemone else to city council, then someone to Hollyrood to over rule him, then someone else to westminster who was also over ruled by the last man, then someone else to Brussels to sit on comittees that could Veto anything any of the other three did.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Kwik

posted on 21/9/11 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
as i will be a student (as of next saturday) i want my education to be free. my year is the last of the "cheap" uni fees paing "only" £3500...

my opinion is dont go to war, stop spending money on foreign aid and paying benefits to those who dont contribute to society (i personally know of a few) and start making this country more educated in things that matter. scrap music degrees and dance degrees etc, you are far more succesfull if you go to a dedicated dance or music collage than you will ever be with a degree, and make higher A levels harder.

on the student room forum there was a post comparing English 6th form with the American equivalent. he said how an A grade here is only a C grade over there. we should stop dumbing down and start setting standards higher.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.