Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A time based closed auction lots for sale
omega 24 v6

posted on 24/7/08 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
A time based closed auction lots for sale

OK this has been discused a couple of times on here. When items have been put up for sale/grabs then all the common users (on all day like whippy) get the bargains. I myself have had a few, but also missed many.
So I propose to sell my items as follows.

All the items listed are to be bid on by U2U by midnight on sunday the 27th july.

The highest bid U2U wins. I will post a list of the winners (but not the price paid) after the bidding has finished.
All bids should take into account the total price you are willing to pay INCLUDING postage. Be sensible some of the items are heavy so take this into account.
To be fair the as new unused items will be sold (at what it cost me originally) to the highest bidder. i.e. if it cost me £20 and he/she bids £30 then they win it at £20 plus postage. Does that sound fair??
Now some of the items are quantities(sp) so the highest bidder on a single unit gets the pick of how many they want at the single unit priceXquantity.
Anything left will be relisted.
Cheques need to clear first as usual and postage insurance WILL NOT BE INCLUDED. I will post recorded to the buyer at his request, as long as he pays the difference. How does this sound??
No refunds will be given. You bid, you pay, I post and that's it.
We have seen the way ebay is going and for us a group then perhaps this may be a way of maximizing your possible sale value with no ebay/paypal worries (as long as we can trust each other I reckon number of posts is as good as feedback on here)
Now lets discuss it before I list the items tommorrow.
Also Fozzie or chrisw could you make a statement on your feelings to this method please.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

mookaloid

posted on 24/7/08 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
A cunning plan methinks

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

se7ensport

posted on 24/7/08 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like a sensible idea.

I'd rather buy or sell to/from a locostbuilder than an ebayer.

chris_smith

posted on 24/7/08 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
sounds good to me
Mr G

posted on 24/7/08 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
U2U sent with bid price for the fork handles
tegwin

posted on 24/7/08 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good in theory.....although could get bloody confusing in practice.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

omega 24 v6

posted on 24/7/08 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I should add that unfortuneatly it will only apply (in my case at least) to our Uk members. Sorry but it's my personal decision. You could buy by proxy through a close friend on the forum though and he could then forward it to you. Also apologies to all you lovely ladies out there. My post is full of (he's) but of course the fairer sex is also welcome to bid.

donut

posted on 24/7/08 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr G
fork handles

Sorry, just had to:

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 24/7/08 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds OK to me. Should be up to you how you sell your stuff. Basically sealed bids. Might as well get the groundrules sorted up front.

Do you have to make sure your profile is set correctly ref tome zone etc.

omega 24 v6

posted on 24/7/08 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Do you have to make sure your profile is set correctly ref tome zone etc.

Good point and possibly a first stumbling block. I don,t know is the honest answer. Is there a way of cheating/fixing your post/U2U times??

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/7/08 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
The highest bid U2U wins
quote:

yuck e-bay mkII so no more bargans then

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
D Beddows

posted on 25/7/08 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
So we have to guess what value you place on whatever you're offering for sale then? - and how do we know if we're winning the bidding?

The thing that would worry me is that if you're offering a super rare bolt (just as a stupid example) and I really need one so I bid £10 million just to be sure I get it, but I at the same time have to assume you only want a sensible £5ish for it because I don't actually have £10 million to give you - I win the biding and discover you actually want an unreasonable £1000 for it (which I don't have either) ....... what then?

OK an extreme and unlikely scenario I know but..........

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/7/08 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
I quite like the idea really as I don’t have to bother even thinking of a price for things which I hate doing BTW cause I never can tell how much something is worth. So now I just sit back and watch you lot have a bidding war and who ever has the most cash to throw around gets it, win win for me then

Indeed to make sure I get as much money as pos I’ll strip every assembly down to it’s component parts and you can bid for each little bit, after all the more bids the better, for me anyway. Can I flash messages like ‘WARNING HE HAS JUST OUT BID YOU!!’ just to ramp up the fever? Hell I’m just in it for the money…

Fozzie

posted on 25/7/08 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
I read this late last night, quite liked the idea, and had a board meeting with ChrisW in the early hours.

I think it needs clarifing that NOT all sales in the 'For Sale' section will be 'up for auction', it is entirely up to the seller how he sells his stuff.
So, in the main, it's 'business as usual'!

I can see that a new section would be advantageous, but at this point in time, with work going on in the background, it is not possible.

I think the seller who wants to 'auction' their stuff, has to make it clear in the heading that it is an auction and it would be a good idea if they put a 'starting' price up to kick it off.

It may be an idea, that 24 hours before the 'auction' closes, the seller puts in his original post/thread, what the highest bid so far is, this would enable previous bidders to 'up' their bid, or not, as the case may be.

I think the Postage & Packing thing could be a bit more of a grey area, so therefore it may be an idea for the seller to put a 'rough weight' (or the postage/packing cost) in the auction post to enable the prospective buyer to gauge the approximate costs plus a bit on top for packing, before they bid.

The 'contract' is between buyer and seller, so therefore LocostBuilders.co.uk wont get involved with any disputes between the parties involved.

The sites 'Trading' rules will still apply as before........so be warned!

Fozzie (Admin)

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/7/08 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
that sounds a bit more fair, fine

D Beddows

posted on 25/7/08 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Still think it should be a proper auction though if you're going to do it - ie the winning bidder pays the price they won the item for not what the seller wanted to sell it for as Mr Omega originally proposed - otherwise it's just going to end up with people putting in stupidly large bids and it will get very silly
Hellfire

posted on 25/7/08 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think the auction should be closed. It should be open for all to see so that everyone knows the target.

Say for example you auctioned an item which you bought for £20. Somebody puts a bid in of £20 and another person puts a bid in of £40. Who do you sell it to?

Phil

scootz

posted on 25/7/08 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds a bit of a nonsense to me, but I respect that it's up to each individual 'how' they want to sell any bits that they have.

What's wrong with the old "say what it is and how much you want for it" method... it's easy!

mr henderson

posted on 25/7/08 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
A problem that I can see is let's suppose someone offers a newly rebuilt Zetec worth say £2000.

Person A bids £5

Person B doesn't bid because he thinks his £1500 bid might get laughed at.

Nobody else bids

Is person A going to win the auction and get the bargain?
probably not

So, in effect, the person holding the auction can look at the bids received and either sell or not sell depending on how he feels about the bid. Which is pretty much the same as 'open to offers'

I think people selling stuff should say how much they want for it, then everybody would know where they are

John

[Edited on 25/7/08 by mr henderson]

Jon Ison

posted on 25/7/08 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^ what he said, all a bit ott for me, personally I would rather bid on ebay or if its still available pay or negotiate the asking price posted on here.

big_wasa

posted on 25/7/08 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Ive asked for offer's on bits, and found it not to work.

If doing it auction style, I would keep it simple. And keep postage seperate.

Just my 2 bob

omega 24 v6

posted on 25/7/08 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Ok I'm going to think about this a bit more but the WHOLE point of this is to enable people on here to see and possibly have a chance of getting a bargain. As it stand just now first come first served is the way and it would not be the first time that someone has had a bargain off of here and then flogged it on ebay for much much more. I intended for this only to help people out on the site with items which are only for the purpose of building locost type vehicles.
I take on board what you're saying about offering a million quid but your taking it to extremes we all know roughly what the items I'm gonna sell are worth and I did say in the original post BE SENSIBLE. I suppose I could post a list of what the bids are a day before finish but why should the person with the highest bid at that time be gazumped by someone who suddenly decides that he will be prepared to up his bid. I want people to decide what they're limit is and place a one off U2U end of story. Thats it, no more chance to beat someone at the last post and everyone gets a chance at the item not just first on line at the time.
I will however have to work out postage costs before listing them so the price paid will be you're bid plus what I say the postage costs are in my listings.
I'm not going to hide the fact that i hope to gain a higher price by this method I DO. But I do also want to give everyone a chance at said items and not just the few. At the end of the day I expect some people will be stupid and offer ridiculous prices just to be smart. They'll be ignored or possible copied and pasted into the sale post for all to see. Cmon guys I'm trying to be fair and make a bit of cash for my own locost completion surely we can BE SENSIBLE about all of this. At the end of the day the item is worth what it is worth to YOU. Make your bid send a U2U and hope for the best.
Now I'm gonna have to delay untill I work out postage costs as advised in fozzies post.
Also I have to advise you that ChrisW and this site will have no part in any disputes. The deal is i offer the item you bid on it and when I post it it's yours end of deal. I will be honest with my description and there will be pictures and thats it. We are all on here for one reason TO BUILD CARS and I am a reasonable person. As such I expect you all to be reasonable too.
Now I'm gonna do a poll to see who thinks I should go ahead or not.

omega 24 v6

posted on 25/7/08 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Say for example you auctioned an item which you bought for £20. Somebody puts a bid in of £20 and another person puts a bid in of £40. Who do you sell it to?

As said in the original post the HIGHEST bidder within reason will get the item at the cost it was to me. This is only on NEW items I have by the way and you can all do research to find out average costs of the item.
Or maybe I should list the new items as first come first served at the price they owe me plus postage.

dhutch

posted on 25/7/08 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good to me.
- I've not really needed/wanted/hadreason to buy stuff off here. But ive certainly missed some good stuff on my own forum simply because i cant access it from work, and stuff comes and goes before i even see it.

Daniel

Mix

posted on 25/7/08 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I appologise if I've missed the point.
You are addressing the first come first served ethos that has been the norm on here since I've used the site with what I consider to be an improvement for all, (except the winner under the current regime).
Why not adopt the same principal as used in house purchase here in Scotland where the seller requests 'offers over' the minimum selling price.

The other flaw I noted in your system, (from a personal point of view), was that it did not seem to allow for collection instead of postage.

Regards Mick

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.