Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My car is no more
Delinquent

posted on 9/9/08 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
mate that must be devastating.

In my other hobby we have a phrase for things like this happening to help keep the chin up - "unscheduled upgrade opportunity". Hopefully the insurance will come good, and instead of looking at what you've lost, start thinking about how much better then next incarnation is going to be.

Obviously you'll have to call it Phoenix as well

I think I'd definitely be going for a plumbed extinguisher next time too.

Hammerhead

posted on 9/9/08 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
really sorry to see that pic. Glad your ok as is everyone else.

I think the only sensible thing for all of us to do is to plumb in a fire extinguisher. I dread to think what would happen if someone was trapped in the car due to an accident and fire took hold. With a plumbed in extinguisher as long as you can move your arms you should be able to pull the toggle to set it off (or someone else may reach in and do it).
I got one for my elise and it cost £200 which ain't cheap but it's peanuts compared to what could happen. You can also get smaller ones that would be cheaper maybe £150?

I'm deffo going to fit one to the MK after seeing that.

Steve.

iank

posted on 9/9/08 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Just seen this - must have been very scary.Though I doubt there's enough left to identify the reason with any certainty.
As above glad all are ok.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Fencewrecker

posted on 9/9/08 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
OMG, at least you both are OK, but as some have said, look at the upgrades you can do!!

Dave

Buzz Billsberry

posted on 9/9/08 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Just seen this on the Westfield site, I absolutely gutted for you but at least you're ok.

Buzz

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Richard Quinn

posted on 9/9/08 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't Andy Bates mention the possibility of a group buy on extinguishers at some point? Did anything ever cover of it?
I just find it slightly ironic that you would be likely to have some challenges getting a plumbed in system through SVA due to radii etc on T handles. Perhaps we could just print out the photo on the first page as justification.

Fozzie

posted on 9/9/08 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
Didn't Andy Bates mention the possibility of a group buy on extinguishers at some point? Did anything ever cover of it?
I just find it slightly ironic that you would be likely to have some challenges getting a plumbed in system through SVA due to radii etc on T handles. Perhaps we could just print out the photo on the first page as justification.

No....I got mine through SVA no problem, I incorporated the 'plumbed in' with my build.....first time pass too .... 4 years ago!

The handles were removed for SVA, (secure the cables first), and 'sticky back' round pads of felt, just over the size of the hole was applied........ my car was built for road and race so also had a full cage in situ for SVA...... examiner said the pads were a good idea.....

The pads (beige) are of the type you buy at your local DIY store to put on the bottom of appliance/furniture legs....

HTH Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

paublo999

posted on 9/9/08 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
bad luck m8..

[Edited on 10/9/08 by paublo999]

Johneturbo

posted on 9/9/08 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
hey guys/girls thanks again for the comments, it does ease the pain a bit.
the kit car community is almost as good as the biking one

trying to stay positive with it all, and if i do build again maybe make her a bit better but the same spec.
but i must say that the thought of going through the build and sva again is also a scary one.

got a call today, the car is being picked up from the depot,to be taken away for engineers inspection. so hopefuly i'll hear some news next week from my insurance.
if i get any news i'll let you know

[Edited on 9/9/08 by Johneturbo]

Gergely

posted on 10/9/08 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
OMG! I am gutted for you!
I hope your insurance gets sorted and I hope you do build another one soon!
As they say around here (on the topic of houses, but its kind of the same...):
The first one you build for your enemy, the second one for a friend and the third one will be good enough for yourself!
In other words: Your next car can only be better than the first!
Cheer up!
Gergely

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 10/9/08 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Ugh! That's not good at all. An engineers inspection? Should be exciting... "Yup, it's definetely got hot."

I hope the insurance Co pay up swiftly!

Delinquent

posted on 10/9/08 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Ugh! That's not good at all. An engineers inspection? Should be exciting... "Yup, it's definetely got hot."

I hope the insurance Co pay up swiftly!

I can just see it now - the official report.

"I found a wheel or two. At least I'm pretty sure they are wheels - oooh and look, I think that was a headlight. Oh no, my mistake it's my lunchbox".

finlay

posted on 10/9/08 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
geees, just read this, gutted for you
marc n

posted on 12/9/08 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
total nightmare, havent seen one of these types of cars on fire but seen a normal tin top, if you cant put it out in the first minute then they burn so quick its scary, there are just so many flammable materials

gutted for you john

i reckon once the insurance is sorted and we have our new building up we could have an mnr / locostbuilders build weekend, wher anyone wanting to help buid etc could come up to the workshop and help

what do we reckon ???

best regards

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Agriv8

posted on 12/9/08 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
As long as the coffee machine is on I recon easilly do-able in 2 days if all the parts are preped and ready to go.

I am up for it - possible get one of the kit car mags involleved as it would publicise the MNR build bays ( when planning pull there thumb out from where the sun does not shine )

REgards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Johneturbo

posted on 13/9/08 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Haha i do like that idea, maybe call record breakers
Lisa said she'll make the sarnies, and prolly supervise too, as long as she can play with bob!

i'm trying not to think about it too much untill i do get a cheque thou.

richardh

posted on 13/9/08 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
really gutted for you
glad you are both ok
let us all know if you get to know what happened to cause that..............
hope your insurance co don't muck you about

Krismc

posted on 13/9/08 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
...Yea mate any help you require, let us know.

plus is gives us a chance to get out for a Blat!

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Chris B

posted on 25/9/08 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Count me in but I warn you, I drink alot of coffee
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.