Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Build your own single-seater on a budget
DIY Si

posted on 27/1/09 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Good to see it's not the normal Lotus size then! Should I find it too short/narrow/whatever, how much scope is there for the chassis to be altered?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

smart51

posted on 27/1/09 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
can normal folk fit? I ask as I'm 6'3" and 15 st.

Normal, mathematically, is the centre of a normal distribution. For men in the UK that is 5' 9" and 12st 8lbs (1.755m and 79.75kg for the under 40s). At 6'3" you're way outside of "normal"

iank

posted on 27/1/09 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Good to see it's not the normal Lotus size then! Should I find it too short/narrow/whatever, how much scope is there for the chassis to be altered?

As it's mid engined the big problem will probably be the grp. Everything else should be straightforward.

Sounds like I'll fit OK as is. (5'11" and *cough* 98kg)

Though how to tell the wife I want to build another before finishing the one I've got in the garage? (solution don't make that schoolboy error )

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Triton

posted on 27/1/09 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Meant to ask sooner, what size person will fit in the car? Is it a classic Lotus size, or can normal folk fit? I ask as I'm 6'3" and 15 st. And I really would like to fit in it!

As Mr G fits then you will have no problem as I can vouch for him being what he said...

Cheers,
Mark

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 27/1/09 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like I'd need to cut a big chunk out the middle seeing how 'tall' I am

looks a fun car.

Chris - are you going to give details of conversion of the Sierra diff to use with a chain drive? like dimensions of the oil/grease cover (I would just fab it out of steel pipe and plate, sealed with o-rings. Or are you just going to say buy one of the super expensive diffs...

Also are the drive shafts shortened? If so how are you showing that being done??

[Edited on 27/1/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 27/1/09 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, the details of the diff conversion will be in the book, hopefully there will be a FWD diff in as well for all the old ladies who complain that there aren't any Sierra bits left.

There should be a supplier that can do the both diff conversions by the time the book comes out for those who don't fancy it, priced at about £500

Cheers

Chris

EDIT: The driveshafts will be unequal lengths, I'm not sure if we're going to cut and sleeve the Sierra shafts or provide drawings for new ones - maybe both.

C

[Edited on 27/1/09 by chrisg]

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

DIY Si

posted on 27/1/09 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:
can normal folk fit? I ask as I'm 6'3" and 15 st.

Normal, mathematically, is the centre of a normal distribution. For men in the UK that is 5' 9" and 12st 8lbs (1.755m and 79.75kg for the under 40s). At 6'3" you're way outside of "normal"

I've not ever really been a normal size, but in my group of friends I'm tall, but not overly so. Didn't realise normal folk where so small either! The only people I know that are 5'9" are girls!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/1/09 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg

EDIT: The driveshafts will be unequal lengths, I'm not sure if we're going to cut and sleeve the Sierra shafts or provide drawings for new ones - maybe both.

did you notice that the front driver side sierra 4x4 drive shaft is already very short?

I know the drive shafts are normally different lengths due to the way the diff is made for the Sierra. But when converted to use a chain drive, having different lengths becomes completely pointless as the engine can be located so the chain would naturally be offset.

Also IIRC the drive shafts have splines on the ends for the CV joint spiders (retained by external circlips), so unless people have access to a milling machine…brand new DIY shafts are not an option.

From what I can tell, really the front end just needs to be the same as the Hanes Roadster, using the same wishbones and uprights rather than some fancy fabricated uprights like I think you originally suggested. The only difference is the width of the chassis nothing else.

The rear can be just like Lotus used in the above pictures, made from simple tie rods and even use the same uprights as the IRS car too, no need to reinvent the wheel as most of the two cars could/should be interchangeable to keep the costs down.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

chrisg

posted on 27/1/09 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the suggestions, most of the parts are already made but there will be some tweaking.

With the engine in, the sprocket is very close to the nearside and obviously the diff sprocket needs to line up with it, if you had the diff sprocket central the engine would be outside the chassis by 250mm on the offside.

I'd agree that the shafts wouldn't be a diy proposition but providing a drawing gives you something to take to the machine shop.

The front suspension is different to the Roadster - it's top rocking arm with inboard dampers. At the rear the upright is similar but there isn't the height to mount the shock on top of the upright so it acts on the lower wishbone instead.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

iank

posted on 27/1/09 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg

did you notice that the front driver side sierra 4x4 drive shaft is already very short?

I know the drive shafts are normally different lengths due to the way the diff is made for the Sierra. But when converted to use a chain drive, having different lengths becomes completely pointless as the engine can be located so the chain would naturally be offset.

Also IIRC the drive shafts have splines on the ends for the CV joint spiders (retained by external circlips), so unless people have access to a milling machine…brand new DIY shafts are not an option.

From what I can tell, really the front end just needs to be the same as the Hanes Roadster, using the same wishbones and uprights rather than some fancy fabricated uprights like I think you originally suggested. The only difference is the width of the chassis nothing else.

The rear can be just like Lotus used in the above pictures, made from simple tie rods and even use the same uprights as the IRS car too, no need to reinvent the wheel as most of the two cars could/should be interchangeable to keep the costs down.

Milling machine won't help, driveshaft splines are rolled on for a good reason.

Cut and shut for DIY or fabricated ones - which someone would/should be able to start getting produced in volumes to bring down the price. Seems a reasonable compromise to me.

I don't agree that it should try to share parts with the roadster. Since it's going to be a far more track/hill oriented beast (for most people) it should try and be optimal for that usage without artificial constraints - i.e. if the wishbones need to be 1.5 inches longer then they should be. Cost savings of using roadster parts would seem to be fairly minimal.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

CrispyFries

posted on 29/1/09 at 02:29 AM Reply With Quote
This is awesome, can't wait for the book!
Pretty sure there's no chance of this being road legal in australia though
An alternative to the sierra diff would definitely be useful, pretty sure we didn't get any of those down here.

Triton

posted on 29/1/09 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Chain driven diff's are available at a price from folk like Quaiffe..

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

iank

posted on 29/1/09 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrispyFries
This is awesome, can't wait for the book!
Pretty sure there's no chance of this being road legal in australia though
An alternative to the sierra diff would definitely be useful, pretty sure we didn't get any of those down here.

Don't think you can register cars with bike engines down in Australia from what I've read.
As for the rest of it, I have no idea, should be stiff enough being a single seater, but you'll need an engineer to sign that off iirc.

--
Anonymous

CrispyFries

posted on 2/2/09 at 03:16 AM Reply With Quote
BECs have been done in Australia, so maybe it won't be just a track car
Just need the book

[Edited on 2/2/09 by CrispyFries]

Rod Ends

posted on 2/2/09 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
If you can't wait - £3995 with trailer

chrisg

posted on 3/2/09 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
I'd forgotten how "spindley" the suspension is on those!

That'd make a great hillclimber

**smashes piggy bank and starts counting copper**

Cheers

Chris

Triton

posted on 5/2/09 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Bit modern though, now if someone was to make a 1960's style hill climber then tickety boo......

Cheers,
Mark

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

DIY Si

posted on 5/2/09 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Any sneaky pics yet? There must be a little teaser you can let us have?

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

chrisg

posted on 5/2/09 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've only got the one that's on Amazon, the bodyworks not finished. (is it Mark?)

Cheers

Chris

Triton

posted on 5/2/09 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Almost....just being fussy.

Cheers,
Mark

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

DIY Si

posted on 6/2/09 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
No chassis pics then either?

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Benzine

posted on 6/2/09 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
pics or it didn't happen

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

Triton

posted on 6/2/09 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
It better happen because I have spent a fortune in time and money making the plugs, I'm at the "just being fussy before making the moulds" stage.....

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

iank

posted on 6/2/09 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
It better happen because I have spent a fortune in time and money making the plugs, I'm at the "just being fussy before making the moulds" stage.....

--
Anonymous

handyandy

posted on 6/2/09 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
it better happen cos i,m waiting for it!
andy

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.