Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ultre fast build update!
skinned knuckles

posted on 15/4/10 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
ultre fast build update!

following on from my post yesterday asking for interest in being part of the build crew for a fast build of a westy, i phoned PPC mag up today to see if they would have any interest in running a story of the build.

the bloke was interested and i am due to give the guy a call on monday when we have more time to have a proper chat about it.

I am hoping to get a few companies involved with a certain level of sponsorship for the build in return for labeling up the car and having banners up around the build area.

I am also thinking about filming the build and utubing it. do you think that if i can get enough publicity westy would do me a cracking deal on a megabusa? I know that it has been done before but i think the fact that it will be done by a team of relative strangers that happen to be enthusiasts will put a slightly different angle on it?

any ideas about which companies to approach for a bit of sponsorship? I was thinking tool hire shops and maybe race circuit?

i am also thinking of ways this could be used for raising a bit of cash for Help for Heroes any thoughts?

[Edited on 15/4/10 by skinned knuckles]

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

James

posted on 15/4/10 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe Rally Design,
Comma for oils etc.
Screwfix
DeWalt
Avon

No idea if they'd help with either materials or money direct for the charity but they all sponsor various motorsport things so might be interested.

Good luck!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Daddylonglegs

posted on 15/4/10 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Wish I lived nearer sounds like it could be a hoot!

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

geeksandlies

posted on 15/4/10 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skinned knuckles
following on from my post yesterday asking for interest in being part of the build crew for a fast build of a westy, i phoned PPC mag up today to see if they would have any interest in running a story of the build.

the bloke was interested and i am due to give the guy a call on monday when we have more time to have a proper chat about it.

I am hoping to get a few companies involved with a certain level of sponsorship for the build in return for labeling up the car and having banners up around the build area.

I am also thinking about filming the build and utubing it. do you think that if i can get enough publicity westy would do me a cracking deal on a megabusa? I know that it has been done before but i think the fact that it will be done by a team of relative strangers that happen to be enthusiasts will put a slightly different angle on it?

any ideas about which companies to approach for a bit of sponsorship? I was thonking too hire shops and maybe race circuit?

i am also thinking of ways this could be used for raising a bit of cash for Help for Heroes any thoughts?

Ok i have read the other thread and although i am new i am a big PPC fan and support HFH in anyway i can. I am a techie by trade (IT that is) and would be more than willing to help with the AV side of things! I also do a bit of writing on the side so would be happy to do help do some material to send out. You can give the sun a call they are the UK's biggest HFH team!!

The one who dies with the most toys wins!

stevebubs

posted on 15/4/10 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
who was the production company that did the old "kit car crisis" and "beetle crisis" programmes?
geeksandlies

posted on 15/4/10 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
There was aprogram on Discovery channel not so long ago called a racecar is born. It was kit car build based will see if i can find the production comnpany

skinned knuckles

posted on 15/4/10 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Having read my post, i want to clear one thing up before people think i'm taking the P.

I will strictly be keeping the build cost and any money raised for HTH complately seperate!! i am a herd faced git but dont intend on funding a new car for me with charity money

so in the short term I'll be focusing on the build, then looking at how it could used for fundraising. all ideas welcome

geeksandlies

posted on 15/4/10 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by geeksandlies
There was aprogram on Discovery channel not so long ago called a racecar is born. It was kit car build based will see if i can find the production comnpany

Found it
http://www.i2itelevision.com/index.php

geeksandlies

posted on 15/4/10 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Having read my post, i want to clear one thing up before people think i'm taking the P.

I will strictly be keeping the build cost and any money raised for HTH complately seperate!! i am a herd faced git but dont intend on funding a new car for me with charity money

so in the short term I'll be focusing on the build, then looking at how it could used for fundraising. all ideas welcome

I dont think anyone would blame you for that. Can still be a noble cause without costing you anything, raising money for the build and for a charity is hardly an evil act

55ant

posted on 15/4/10 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
maybe Dave, (tv channel, not some bloke) also red bull seem to sponser anything! also you could go for the 'we need to be alert to build it, and relentless say red bull is for girls'

sounds like excellent fun.

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

skinned knuckles

posted on 15/4/10 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Found it
http://www.i2itelevision.com/index.php

just had a quick look at what they do and it does seem to be Mark Evans production Ltd. i would doubt thay have any interest seeing it is just a variation on a theme of what he has done before.

what i am proposing to do is more of an experiment than a documentry though so it is a bit different.

once i've had a proper chat PPC mag i'll give them a bell and see what they think.

skinned knuckles

posted on 15/4/10 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 55ant
maybe Dave, (tv channel, not some bloke) also red bull seem to sponser anything! also you could go for the 'we need to be alert to build it, and relentless say red bull is for girls'

now i like the idea of red bull. their logo will look excellent on the side of a westy

geeksandlies

posted on 15/4/10 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 55ant

now i like the idea of red bull. their logo will look excellent on the side of a westy

You could make the bonnet look like a can of RB now thats a cool idea! Polished ally and blue with the full can design, i might just do that on mine now anyways

TimC

posted on 15/4/10 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
I'm scoring you 10/10 for ambition. This is quite a plan, if by some miracle you could pull it off. I was thinking just last night that Kit Car Crisis 2 would be interesting (for us geeks at least.)

skinned knuckles

posted on 15/4/10 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
I'm scoring you 10/10 for ambition. This is quite a plan, if by some miracle you could pull it off. I was thinking just last night that Kit Car Crisis 2 would be interesting (for us geeks at least.)

but without the middle aged, mid life crisis bloke making a hash of the chassis and failing to meet the targets. also i plan on not needing a crane to get my car out of the shed

no offense intended to anyone having a midlife crisis, i believe we all have the right to have one

Hellfire

posted on 15/4/10 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Is it only me thats sceptical about the motives behind this project?

Forgive me if I'm wrong but it sounds to me as though you're coming into a few quid and want to own and drive a quality kit with as little outlay as possible and as quickly as possible.

When all the builders have left and you've had your discounted kit from Westfield and your ten minutes of fame, you'll be driving around in a Megabusa that's cost you two grand and took two days to build.

Like I said, maybe it's just me. Maybe I've mis-interpreted the posts and the motives behind them...........

Phil

skinned knuckles

posted on 15/4/10 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire

Forgive me if I'm wrong but it sounds to me as though you're coming into a few quid and want to own and drive a quality kit with as little outlay as possible and as quickly as possible.

When all the builders have left and you've had your discounted kit from Westfield and your ten minutes of fame, you'll be driving around in a Megabusa that's cost you two grand and took two days to build.

Like I said, maybe it's just me. Maybe I've mis-interpreted the posts and the motives behind them...........

Phil

I have from the start said what my aims are. and they do include owning a car that has been built quickly and for the minimum of cost, this is afer all locostbuilders.co.uk. if you are sceptical, please feel free not to be involved. the reason i put the offer out there for others to get involved is that i would have willingly given up my time to work for free with Mark Evans on any of the "is born" builds and thought that others may feel the same and judging from the response they do and many are happy to help. the idea to get sponsorship has come from this site and the idea has snowballed and i willingly consider all suggestions to save money just as others ask for cheaper ways to do things on this site. just as the bloke earlier was asking for a cheaper way to remap his MS because the garage wanted to charge him £1400. i believe his motive was to not pay the full amount asked, or am i wrong?

people on this site are always offering to pop round to help with specific things or even asking for help. admittedly what i'm propising to do is on a much larger scale but what is wrong with a little ambition. if i manage to pull this off, and at this stage it is a massive if, i believe that everyone involved will walk away satisfied, some of us may even make good friends during the build. we may all learn a hell of a lot and share a lot of info. this is after all what locost building is about?

Hellfire

posted on 15/4/10 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
And you'll have a car worth £15K........

If you had made your motive clear from the start and if it had been based around raising money for HTH first and formost, then I would have genuinely been interested.

I can only see one motive behind this whole idea at present and for that reason, as Duncan Bannatyne would say, 'I'm out'..........

I completely understand the ethos of the Locostbuilders forum. There are lots of helpful members on here with lots of valuable skills and knowledge to impart. If some of them are able and wish to assist you in your project, then good luck. I just think your motive for doing it is spurious.....

Phil

[Edited on 15-4-10 by Hellfire]

Dangle_kt

posted on 15/4/10 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
sounds good idea, but what happens if someone is

a) hurt

b)damages someone elses property

IF it was just all mates together, or even just a gang of locosters it probably wouldn't matter (unless you were an ass, or american).

BUT you want to get sponsors involved, TV company etc. so these things would need to be considered, and probably mitigated by an insurance policy of some sort.

skinned knuckles

posted on 15/4/10 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
And you'll have a car worth £15K........

If you had made your motive clear from the start and if it had been based around raising money for HTH first and formost, then I would have genuinely been interested.

I can only see one motive behind this whole idea at present and for that reason, as Duncan Bannatyne would say, 'I'm out'..........

I completely understand the ethos of the Locostbuilders forum. There are lots of helpful members on here with lots of valuable skills and knowledge to impart. If some of them are able and wish to assist you in your project, then good luck. I just think your motive for doing it is spurious.....

Phil

[Edited on 15-4-10 by Hellfire]

The HTH thing was an after though when i realised what i could be gaining from all this. it would be nice to give something back. I have stated that the build and the fund raising are to be kept seperate and as soon as i had posted the two things in the same thread i realised how it sounded and posted again to explain.

i value your opinion and apreciate your input. i do have a habbit of rushing into things head on and someone playing devils advocate is always handy.

skinned knuckles

posted on 15/4/10 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
sounds good idea, but what happens if someone is

a) hurt

b)damages someone elses property

IF it was just all mates together, or even just a gang of locosters it probably wouldn't matter (unless you were an ass, or american).

BUT you want to get sponsors involved, TV company etc. so these things would need to be considered, and probably mitigated by an insurance policy of some sort.

i'm sure that any sponsor (if i am lucky enough to get one, even one that would lend a decent set of air tools as mine are fairly average) will give a set of criteria i would need to meet before they would commit. liability insurance would certainly be one.

cheers for your input

richard thomas

posted on 15/4/10 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Phil

Trying to understand how the build could cost two grand?

I did suggest in the earlier thread the potential for negotiating a discount with a manufacturer on the basis of publicity...that's one hell of a discount!!

skinned knuckles

posted on 15/4/10 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas
quote:

Phil

Trying to understand how the build could cost two grand?

I did suggest in the earlier thread the potential for negotiating a discount with a manufacturer on the basis of publicity...that's one hell of a discount!!

i was wondering about that figure myself but thought that maybe it was the standard figure westy quote to people who may be able to get them a bit of publicity the thing is, i'll be ever so disappointed now if i have to pay more than this so please wonderful westfield sports cars can i have a magabusa for 2 grand please

[Edited on 15/4/10 by skinned knuckles]

Steve Hignett

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
I assume you're not being sarcastic above, and say - I think Phil was saying two grand as purely an arbritrary, cheap amount of money. He could have said £3k, £4k, £8k etc all of which would be a long way away from what Westfield will give you a Megabusa in kit form for...

richard thomas

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, I kind of understood what Phil was getting at...

At the outset of the original thread I suggested that a discount on a kit might be possible given the publicity that might be brought off the back of the build if it was featured in a mag or something...that discount (if possible) might be menial or considerable - who knows? If I was a betting man I would say that somebody like westfield would be unlikely to give a major discount - they don't need to...sell enough anyway.

However I do feel that Phil's suggestion that this fella's going to get a 15 grand car for 2 grand, as opposed to suggesting that he might get it for (say) 14.5 grand is slightly inflammatory?

Rich.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.