Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ultre fast build update!
skinned knuckles

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
I assume you're not being sarcastic above, and say - I think Phil was saying two grand as purely an arbritrary, cheap amount of money. He could have said £3k, £4k, £8k etc all of which would be a long way away from what Westfield will give you a Megabusa in kit form for...

i actually don't think westy would offer a discount at all, that suggestion came from another locoster, i really dont think anyone would have any interest in sponsoring this build in any way. i dont think a film crew would have any interest in filming me build a car with with a bunch of semi skilled blokes drinking tea, eating burgers, having a laugh and taking the p155. I am fully aware that i am not the most charismatic bloke on the planet, i dont have a great deal of mechanical knowledge and have a stutter that when i am nervous or a camera is pointed at me make me pretty much incoherent so there is one seroius limitation with the whole filming thing.

however if any of the above were to come to fruition, i would be happy as a dog with the proverbial 2 doodahs. failing that i have to keep my fingers crossed that my possible nestegg comes through and i can have a bit of fun with some like minded car enthusiasts that wish to share this experience with me.

now will people lighten up please, this is meant to be fun!

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

eddie99

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I agree on what everyone has said. Yes in some ways it might seem like hes trying to get a car for cheaper than westfield can build it for. But i think as a fun perspective. It could be a good weekend!!! So cheer up fellow Locostbuilders!!!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Steve Hignett

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add (not that it seems necessary), but my comment was in regard to MY interpretation of just one thing that Phil Hellfire commented on - The amount...

It's up to you to get a discount, but (as you've already stated) the only thing I would say is; If you are going to get a discount AND raise money for charity, then keep them VERY seperate!

skinned knuckles

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Just to add (not that it seems necessary), but my comment was in regard to MY interpretation of just one thing that Phil Hellfire commented on - The amount...

It's up to you to get a discount, but (as you've already stated) the only thing I would say is; If you are going to get a discount AND raise money for charity, then keep them VERY seperate!

The whole fund faising for charity thing was going to start once i had secured the kit from westy. the start was going to be the sale of all the bits i have amassed so far for the build of the haynes i'm currently doing. but in order to keep the 2 things completely seperate please let this be the last mention of the charity side of this. it was a mistake to mention it at this stage. sorry for muddying the waters

Bluemoon

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I agree, otherwise your good intentions could be more trouble than would first seem..

Still If I was living nearby I would'nt mind joining in. Not sure I would want the car though as the quality would be out of my hands (I think I'm probably a control freak, so that might just be me!)...

Dan

skinned knuckles

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
quote:

I agree, otherwise your good intentions could be more trouble than would first seem..

Still If I was living nearby I would'nt mind joining in. Not sure I would want the car though as the quality would be out of my hands (I think I'm probably a control freak, so that might just be me!)...

Dan

have you seen some of the blokes that work in car factorys? i think i feel safer driving something that a few locosters have chucked together. besides i am hoping that someone that knows what they are doing is going to offer help and supervise/oversee the bits that couls kill me if they go wrong

richard thomas

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skinned knuckles
quote:

The whole fund faising for charity thing was going to start once i had secured the kit from westy. the start was going to be the sale of all the bits i have amassed so far for the build of the haynes i'm currently doing. but in order to keep the 2 things completely seperate please let this be the last mention of the charity side of this. it was a mistake to mention it at this stage. sorry for muddying the waters

Now that's cleared up my suggestion would be to get the maximum amount of discount/sponsorship/donations you can get away with short of selling your body. Pretty sure that Mark Evans ended up with a couple of cars (and a plane) that he didn't lay out for, plus a wage to boot...go for it!

Wish I'd bloody thought of it for my build....

Hellfire

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas
Steve, I kind of understood what Phil was getting at...

At the outset of the original thread I suggested that a discount on a kit might be possible given the publicity that might be brought off the back of the build if it was featured in a mag or something...that discount (if possible) might be menial or considerable - who knows? If I was a betting man I would say that somebody like westfield would be unlikely to give a major discount - they don't need to...sell enough anyway.

However I do feel that Phil's suggestion that this fella's going to get a 15 grand car for 2 grand, as opposed to suggesting that he might get it for (say) 14.5 grand is slightly inflammatory?

Rich.

As Steve said, £2K was just an arbitrary figure to go with the two day build.

Like I said previously, maybe it's just how I've interpreted the posts but it sounds to me as though the whole idea (now) is to get publicity, then sponsorship from various companies (to offset the build cost) and also a discount on the kit from Westfield and to build it in as short a timescale as possible.

I've no idea how much the kit would cost but I'd hazard a guess at about £11K. After discount and possible sponsorship deals, lets say £8K. It takes two days to build and would probably be worth twice what it cost, thanks to the efforts and time of eight Locostbuilders members.

If it were to cost £14.5K and be worth only £15K when completed, then I don't think the project would have ever been considered.......

Phil

kevmcdo

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck with the project mate, I hope it comes together for you.

A few friends and I did a similar exercise a few years ago with a two damaged reparable bikes.
The bikes were wrecks on the Friday and by Sunday night they were ready for use again come Monday morning.

The main thing was we all had a great time doing it and still have a laugh at each others expense when it comes to comparing our mechanical abilities !!!

skinned knuckles

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas
Steve, I kind of understood what Phil was getting at...

At the outset of the original thread I suggested that a discount on a kit might be possible given the publicity that might be brought off the back of the build if it was featured in a mag or something...that discount (if possible) might be menial or considerable - who knows? If I was a betting man I would say that somebody like westfield would be unlikely to give a major discount - they don't need to...sell enough anyway.

However I do feel that Phil's suggestion that this fella's going to get a 15 grand car for 2 grand, as opposed to suggesting that he might get it for (say) 14.5 grand is slightly inflammatory?

Rich.

As Steve said, £2K was just an arbitrary figure to go with the two day build.

Like I said previously, maybe it's just how I've interpreted the posts but it sounds to me as though the whole idea (now) is to get publicity, then sponsorship from various companies (to offset the build cost) and also a discount on the kit from Westfield and to build it in as short a timescale as possible.

I've no idea how much the kit would cost but I'd hazard a guess at about £11K. After discount and possible sponsorship deals, lets say £8K. It takes two days to build and would probably be worth twice what it cost, thanks to the efforts and time of eight Locostbuilders members.

If it were to cost £14.5K and be worth only £15K when completed, then I don't think the project would have ever been considered.......

Phil

please don't presume to tell me what i would or wouldn't have considered as a project. if i could refer you back to my original post it stated that i could be coming into a few quid and wanted to buy a kit but see how quick i could build it with help of other locosters. discount, sponsorship etc wasn't even mentioned.

am i to assume that you have never paid less than RRP for anything?

[Edited on 15/4/10 by skinned knuckles]

skinned knuckles

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kevmcdo
Good luck with the project mate, I hope it comes together for you.

A few friends and I did a similar exercise a few years ago with a two damaged reparable bikes.
The bikes were wrecks on the Friday and by Sunday night they were ready for use again come Monday morning.

The main thing was we all had a great time doing it and still have a laugh at each others expense when it comes to comparing our mechanical abilities !!!

cheers mate

Hellfire

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
I like to save money as much as the next Locostbuilder but I think that getting others to help you build your kit, on the pretence that it'll be a laugh to see if you can build it quicker than Mark Evans, is a bit lame. Afterall, time is money...........

Anyway, regardless of what I think, good luck with the project, I sincerely hope you manage to achieve your goal.

Phil

iDENTITi

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Good idea to be honest. Seems a little bit of a paperwork headache though..
skinned knuckles

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I like to save money as much as the next Locostbuilder but I think that getting others to help you build your kit, on the pretence that it'll be a laugh to see if you can build it quicker than Mark Evans, is a bit lame. Afterall, time is money...........

Anyway, regardless of what I think, good luck with the project, I sincerely hope you manage to achieve your goal.

Phil

thanks for your good wishes Phil, are you sure you dont want to join us if it ever takes off? a bloke with your track record in building bec's would be more than welcome..... come on i'd buy you a pint when its finished

Hellfire

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Let me know if it ever takes off and I'll consider it. I'm sure it would be fun and I wouldn't mind seeing how a Megabusa Westy goes together........

Phil

skinned knuckles

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Let me know if it ever takes off and I'll consider it. I'm sure it would be fun and I wouldn't mind seeing how a Megabusa Westy goes together........

Phil

i'll take that as a yes then. your on the list don't worry your in pencil, you can remove yourself at any time

Tipster69

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
And regardless of anything that has been said in this thread, I'm still more than willing to offer up my time to make you all as many cups of tea as required
skinned knuckles

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tipster69
And regardless of anything that has been said in this thread, I'm still more than willing to offer up my time to make you all as many cups of tea as required

you are already on the list mate, and your in biro!

just so you know, 2 sugars and a splash of semi skimmed

Benzine

posted on 16/4/10 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
I'd try and get it all funded and then auction the car off after it's done for HTH

HTH!

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.