Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Connected cars
DW100

posted on 9/12/14 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

A lot of people whinged when ABS was introduced "It is taking away our control of braking my car how I want" etc.

Now every car has it, it has drastically reduced road deaths due to the massive decrease in braking distance and the extra controllability when braking hard on a less than straight stretch of road.

We already fly around in aircraft that take off, fly and land using a computer whilst the pilot sits and watches, and that again has made flying safer.

Get with the times people

I see this attitude all the time......until they get a quote for over £2000 to fix their ABS or air bag or radio aerial!!!

Things in the motor trade are changing, maybe for the good, maybe not. Manufacturers are trying to restrict access to information to repair cars under the pretence of security or safety. It still surprises me that you can start a garage with no qualifications or experience what so ever, and manufacturers are using this to say that people outside their network are not competent to carry out repairs and it is in the interest of the general public that all cars are serviced and repaired by an authorised dealer. As an enthusiast that means you would not be allowed to work on your on car.

Some form of Technician licencing (along the lines of Corgi / Gas safe) is seen by most in the trade trying to do good job as a good thing. Car are getting more complex, with a huge increase in safety critical systems. Is it right that anyone, without any qualifications or knowledge is repairing these systems?

Of course the need for better qualified staff and licencing will increase the cost of running a garage and that cost will be passed on to the customer. But hey get with the times people!!

adithorp

posted on 9/12/14 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DW100

I see this attitude all the time......until they get a quote for over £2000 to fix their ABS or air bag or radio aerial!!!

Things in the motor trade are changing, maybe for the good, maybe not. Manufacturers are trying to restrict access to information to repair cars under the pretence of security or safety. It still surprises me that you can start a garage with no qualifications or experience what so ever, and manufacturers are using this to say that people outside their network are not competent to carry out repairs and it is in the interest of the general public that all cars are serviced and repaired by an authorised dealer. As an enthusiast that means you would not be allowed to work on your on car.

Some form of Technician licencing (along the lines of Corgi / Gas safe) is seen by most in the trade trying to do good job as a good thing. Car are getting more complex, with a huge increase in safety critical systems. Is it right that anyone, without any qualifications or knowledge is repairing these systems?

Of course the need for better qualified staff and licencing will increase the cost of running a garage and that cost will be passed on to the customer. But hey get with the times people!!

Amen to that.

I'm still not convinced about the tech licencing though. On paper yes, but I suspect unless it's strickly enforced (and by who?), we'll just get stuck in the middle between the dealers who'll still try and say we can't fix their cars and the cowboys who'll keep operating without the licence and costs who'll be undercutting us. How many are there out there undercutting us now with no overheads for training, equipment, third party insurance, etc?

Back on topic... I had an interesting conversation with a customer who works in computer security for big companies. He'd done some consultancy work with a government/police department responsible for diplomatic/royal protection. He said they were having all the "connectivity" removed from the cars as they could be hacked and remotely hi-jacked. When they had a meeting with one of the car manufacturers they were told it couldn't be done, so they said look out the window..... and they drove one of the directors cars around the car park with their phone

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

DW100

posted on 9/12/14 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Don't get me wrong, I love electronics and gadgets but not sure that I'd trust them to be 100% reliable.

Through my enthusiasm for electronics I've been playing with Arduino and Raspberry Pi. The hackers love them. For less than £20 you can build a device that creates a WiFi hotspot and server and will sit inside a coffee cup. They go to a pub or cafe and host fake web pages that look like social media login pages and as people try to log in they steal login details.

I can already sit in my office and connect to my diagnostic gear via Bluetooth and operate cars 10m away.

Self parking cars mean they are capable of driving themselves. If you have WiFi on your phone connected via Bluetooth then it should be possible to hack your way in and send malicious softwarefrom anywhere in the world.............your imagination can fill in the rest.

The reality is that the independent motor trade is very resourceful. Over the years there has been a huge amount of scaremongering ever time something new is introduced but we cope. I remember being told that when they brought in emmisions testing for the first time that no cars would get through without a new carburettor and distributor. The reality is I think I sold 1!

[Edited on 9/12/14 by DW100]

DW100

posted on 23/12/14 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
New in car data telematics may be a game changer and reduce consumer choice over vehicle repair. FIGIEFA “Connected Car” video released!

http://www.figiefa.eu/figiefa-connected-car-video-released/

[Edited on 23/12/14 by DW100]

coozer

posted on 23/12/14 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Trucks have all this tracking built in, many company's use league tables in the transport office with points for all sorts of stuff, cruise control, harsh braking, mpg etc.

Not seen any comment on excessive acceleration mind you

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.