Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: jsut picked up my new engine :D
mackie

posted on 10/9/04 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Cool
Is it a complete engine?
We payed rather a lot for ours but it was (more or less) complete with full efi gubbins and it also came with a non-shagged LT77.
I think we may need a new water pump so i'll keep and eye out for bargains.

PS. This link: http://www.rpiv8.com/electrics-1.htm has useful info about distributors.

[Edited on 10/9/04 by mackie]

Graceland

posted on 10/9/04 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
i've got a spare SD1 short nose waterpump if you are interested -from the efi engine lol

no play in bearings, turns freely

binraker

posted on 10/9/04 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
when i unsiezed a very rusty 1920's ajustable spanner that had been pulled out a river in the 50's and left outside till about 1998. just required lots of wd40 mixed with engin oil and left for a month at a time and then clobbered with a hammer, reapply and leve. then wire brush and a power drill to make it all shiney. the wd40 penitrates and the engine oil follows and then the light oil evaporated leving the high compression oil behind so when thumped it oly had to move a teeney wee bit to get fully lubricated (thats what i was told. its aparently an old army/REME trick. i learnt it of my grandfather). im also told that the idea is not to just heat a sized bearing but to cause thermal shock to the sheer plane. so you have to cool either the bearing or the axle very fast but keep the other bit hot. my grandfather demonstarted this on the nuts that held the poceline insulator onto a telegraph pole when he got one to tunr into garden stakes. worked amazingly well.

worth a shot on the next siezed block

what is it about me that makes me look like i know what im doing????

mackie

posted on 11/9/04 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Graceland
i've got a spare SD1 short nose waterpump if you are interested -from the efi engine lol

no play in bearings, turns freely

I might take you up on that but I can't remember for sure if it was that that was leaking or one of the little pipes near it.

If it's cheap I'll have it anyway since ours has a pretty long nose to it and will only just clear the front of the chassis unless chopped.

Graceland

posted on 12/9/04 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
i'll take a picture of it from front, side and rear mackie - i think there were about 8 differant flavours of water pump for the SD1

however, i've cleaned it up with a nice wire brush and given it a coating of anti-corrosion primer and anticorrosion black paint too looks smart

sgraber

posted on 12/9/04 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Graceland,

I'm compiling a list of engine weights and their accessories. It's something that has bothered me for a long time that everyone simply guesses at their engine weights. Nobody ever takes the effort to put the damn thing on a scale! Since you have your engine apart I think that its a great time to take some measurements!

Do you mind giving weighing everything and giving me a list? I would like to set up some sort of standard to make it more accurate, so I think I'll start a new thread about this. Please be on the lookout for that.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Graceland

posted on 12/9/04 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
if i had some scales i would weigh things, lol

dont even have any bathroom scales to use

twinturbo

posted on 12/9/04 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
I will not bother saying I told you so ...

ooopsss...

Ahhwell at least you knwo how they come appart without forking a good un..

TT

Graceland

posted on 12/9/04 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
always a pecemist......

mackie

posted on 12/9/04 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Graceland
i'll take a picture of it from front, side and rear mackie - i think there were about 8 differant flavours of water pump for the SD1

however, i've cleaned it up with a nice wire brush and given it a coating of anti-corrosion primer and anticorrosion black paint too looks smart

Cool it's appreciated.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.