Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fascism - not in my name
Ninehigh

posted on 13/6/09 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I always thought whoever got the most votes wins, or have I missed something in this whole democracy thing?

Steve G

posted on 13/6/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
I always thought whoever got the most votes wins, or have I missed something in this whole democracy thing?

Depends on the system - with the first past the post sytem as used in the general election then yes its the one with the most votes wins. I prefer the proportional representation system myself though as it gives as per the name a representation of the overall votes, so if 10% vote for the Green Party for example, they get something like 10% of the MEP's.

Its perfectly feasable for one party to win say 30% of the votes in all 650 seats in the UK election winning each by only 1 vote to the next highest party. They'd then be able to govern the country completely unopposed on every single point for the next 5 years. Ok so its never going to happen but the potential is there - you only have to look at the percentages vs seats won to see how close some elections actually are on votes, but the winners can have a huge seats majority.

Its irrelevant to my preferred system whether i believe in someone's politics or not - if the electorate want them to have a say then so be it. The majority of elected MP's / MEP's still have the final say on policy through their votes so 2 BNP MEPs arent about to dictate policy

[Edited on 13/6/09 by Steve G]

woodster

posted on 13/6/09 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
my 10p for what its worth ...... the BNP did have a helping hand from 12 years of labours open door policy .............................. come to england we have free medical care and houses ... o and if you have 3 wives bring them too
JoelP

posted on 13/6/09 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
weak government has fostered many radical views, but i do find racism a sickeningly ignorant thing. Im all for name calling where appropriate, but judging a book by its cover is just foolish.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Simon

posted on 14/6/09 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
What you call proportional representation I call giving too much power to minority groups

Which strangely enough is what Brown wants to introduce, as presumeably his party is now just that.

ATB

Simon

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.