Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1.8 K series thrown cam belt. Damage likely or not??
britishtrident

posted on 2/9/10 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
Check the bottom sprocket is a snug fit on the crank, if the bottom pulley has been slack it is likely to have wear. Cure is to Loctite it on to the crank with Red Loctite bearing fit.

Also check the condition of the cam sprocket roll pins --- known for them to crack if the valves tangle.

[Edited on 2/9/10 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

FFTS

posted on 2/9/10 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
What would normally keep the bottom pulley on? Surely there should be a bolt/clip/nut or something but there's nothing there now? or is it just a taper fit and smack the B*******rd on hehe.

Not sure the year of the engine but it has a separate coil and a distributor cap on then end of one cam. What head should I be looking for?

This sounds good but don't know if it's suitable.

Ebay Linky

[Edited on 2/9/10 by FFTS]

Chris.

britishtrident

posted on 2/9/10 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
To keep it simple any K16 head from 1994 to 1999 will fit straight on with no mods. Specs are the same from 1.4 to 1.8 turbo.

You are highly unlikely to come across the very early small port sand cast head as these were really just a limited production run in very early 90s --- easy to spot as these engines used an alloy manifold later used on the VVC.

If you used the later (post 1999) coil pack head you would need to use the latter type cam belt tensioner and swap over the distributer drive.

We reasembling the pip on the bottom sprocket should be in the 3 o'clock position --- this gives exactly 1/2 stroke BUT you should do a sanity check by measuring down the bores all the pistons should be the same distance from the head face.

After putting the belt turn the engine two full turns by hand line up the timing marks on the cam sprockets and bottom pulley/sprocket and check the crank position again by measuring down the plug holes with a long plastic or wooden dowl------- I usuall cut a bit from from a plastic coat hanger.

Once the engine is running and the bottom end is proved OK you can think about changing the cams over --- it is a real fiddle of a job because getting the cam carrier to head joint needs time care and attention to detailed cleaning.
I have seen heads ruined because too much gasket sealer was used on reassembly.

[Edited on 2/9/10 by britishtrident]

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 2/9/10 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
The bottom pulley is held on by a long bolt and special springy washer ---- no locking tab -- use locktite.

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 2/9/10 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
ebay item 170511163451

[/I]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.