Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Loco's CB500T Cafe Racer build diary
locoR1

posted on 8/11/11 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
All done myself, already had a big compresor so invested in a blasting cabinet a couple of weeks ago so i can do bits as i need to, will just be the frame that i cant do.

A quick google for "honda disc drilling pattern" tuned up with a load of pdf's for various honda disc's "LINK"

I converted it so my vinyl cutter could read it and made a vinyl template to stick on the disk,
As for drilling the disc you want top quality drill bits and take it nice and slow with lots of coolant/cutting fluid.

Dave.

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

MikeRJ

posted on 8/11/11 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
What diameter are the fork tubes? It's well worth fitting cartridge emulators to the forks, it gives a serious improvement over the crappy damper rods. Not quite up to cartridge fork performance, but as close as you are going to get for the money.

The genuine Racetech Goldvalve emulators are quite expensive however, but a company called Debrix makes a very similar item designed for Hardley Ablesons. I've fitted these to three SV650s and also to my GPZ500. They drop straight into the older SV650, and the damper rods need a simple bush turning on the later bikes. Because the GPZ has smaller (37mm) diameter forks, I had to machine down the outside of the valve slightly to get it to fit. If your CB has the same size or larger forks you should be able to use them.

One of the SV's belongs to a colleague at work, and he was blown away by the improvement. Because they have a proper blow off valve instead of a fixed orifice the forks soak up bumps without throwing you out of the seat and also reduce dive under braking.

Note the postage from Debrix is as much as the valves themselves, but it's still an awful lot less than the Racetech items. If you can find someone else who wants a pair and can split the postage then even better.

[Edited on 8/11/11 by MikeRJ]

locoR1

posted on 8/11/11 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
That looks interesting, thanks for posting that up not something I had thought about been years since I've ridden or worked on a bike will have a look into that tonight,
The cb500 forks are 35mm I have a lathe so turning them down is no problem but will they go that small?

[Edited on 8/11/11 by locoR1]

Description
Description

locoR1

posted on 18/11/11 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Bit more done over the last couple of weeks managed to get a seat of the ebay seller i mentioned previously bad news is it was rubbish good job i got it cheep out of ebay,

Decided to widen the rear hump so it was more in proportion to the tank but ended up making a new seat base as that was all out of shape as well, Will probably cut the back about a bit when i find a rear light i like.

Ebay seat unit

Ended up just using the hump cut down the middle and widened, the grey bits are from the original seat.

Made a start on the rear of the tank tonight to make it blend in to the seat unit better ive filled in the rear section of the tank also Found a TZ fuel tank strap on ebay...thought it would look quite good and solve the problem of not being able to use the original rear tank mount.

Description
Description

steve m

posted on 18/11/11 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
I am very tempted to raid my parent loft,

Please dont ell the wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RK

posted on 19/11/11 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
Don't worry, we won't. Still trying to figure out how to do this myself without getting stopped in my tracks.
slingshot2000

posted on 19/11/11 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
Still trying to figure out how to do this myself without getting stopped in my tracks.

Me too, and I have had no fancy for a bike since i was a teenager. Really enjoying this thread.

Regards
Jon

T66

posted on 19/11/11 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Great thread, and great work.

My wife thinks I'm joking about a Moto Guzzi cafe racer project when I retire.

Just enough room next to the fiat in my garage.

RK

posted on 19/11/11 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure she is really going to allow it, and not just humouring you. They can be evil that way. I had a nice RD400 when I met her. Should never have told her about my off on it the year before...
locoR1

posted on 19/11/11 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Bit of advice needed for those in the know with bike MOT's, fancy using a 7"Angel Eye Headlight trouble is they all seem to be car lights with the car beam pattern, will this pass a bike MOT?

"LINK to ebay light" This is the type of headlamp i would like to use.

Description
Description

locoR1

posted on 21/11/11 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Had some shiny cnc levers arrive this morning couldn't resist fitting them to see how they look and feel

The master cylinder and clutch lever bracket are 98 fireblade worked out way cheaper than replacing the cb500 cylinder looks allot better to.

Description
Description

gulf zxr

posted on 23/11/11 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Slow down Dave, you'll be leaving me behind!!!

Got my seat today, looks very well made, can't wait to pop it on for a look now.....

locoR1

posted on 23/11/11 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gulf zxr
Slow down Dave, you'll be leaving me behind!!!

Got my seat today, looks very well made, can't wait to pop it on for a look now.....

Best pull your finger out then! seriously its going to slow down for me with Christmas coming, would love to order my rear-sets but cant this side of Christmas maybe Santa will bring me some

Seat sounds good..get some pics up when you trial fit it!

Description
Description

gulf zxr

posted on 23/11/11 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Did you make a template to drill your front disc? If so any chance of a copy so I can do mine?

If you did use a template did you print it on vinyl and stick it on?

[Edited on 23/11/11 by gulf zxr]

locoR1

posted on 24/11/11 at 03:17 AM Reply With Quote
Yup cut with a vinyl cutter and stuck on the disk.

If you look back to page 6 i posted a link to load of pdf's for various Honda discs then cut one with my vinyl cutter, have a look see what pattern you like.

If you want one the same as mine I have the file saved so will only take a few min to cut one for you and sick it in the post, if you like a different one it will take a bit longer but still no problem, doesn’t matter what size disc its from as I can resize the image.

Description
Description

gulf zxr

posted on 24/11/11 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Was going to send you a U2U but it won't let me!! I'd be happy Dave with the same one as you have if it not much trouble.

I wanted to U2U my address but it doesn't seem to want to work!!

[Edited on 24/11/11 by gulf zxr]

locoR1

posted on 24/11/11 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Will sort one for you at the weekend, Just sent you a u2u with my email, that's if you get it.

[Edited on 24/11/11 by locoR1]

Description
Description

gulf zxr

posted on 24/11/11 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoR1
Will sort one for you at the weekend, Just sent you a u2u with my email, that's if you get it.

[Edited on 24/11/11 by locoR1]

Got a new U2U from you but can't open it!! When I click on it I get the hour glass for a second or so then nothing????

gulf zxr

posted on 24/11/11 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
got it Dave you can remove, cheers Jason

[Edited on 24/11/11 by gulf zxr]

locoR1

posted on 4/12/11 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Bit of an update, managed to spend a few evenings and most of the weekend on it so made a reasonable amount of progress much to the wife's dislike..still couldn't of been that bad picked up a bike lift i won on eBay tonight and she volunteered to pay for it as an early Christmas present Result!

Didn't fancy using the original clocks so picked up an Acewell digital dash and mounted in an MZ 125 headlamp, love the look of the deep headlamp bowl, leaves loads of room for the wiring also considering mounting the horn inside the headlamp poking through a hole in the under side instead of having it cluttering up the bike.

The Tarozzi rearsets i ordered turned up this week so got them fitted and the gear and brake linkage all made up and finished, seems to work well and feels quite comfortably apart from the amount of weight on your wrists with the ace bars but guess that's unavoidable with this style of bike.

Also made a start on the rear frame hoop and rear light mounting, next weekend will be sorting the mounting of the seat unit, if i get time this week ill get the marine ply im using to strengthen the seat base glassed in so its ready for the weekend.

One final picture, couldn't resist sticking it on the bike lift as soon as i got it home, think its going to make things allot easier on my back shame i didn't have it Saturday when doing the rearsets!

Description
Description

T66

posted on 6/12/11 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Your bike is really coming along - Ive just come across this thread about mounting a seat, may be of interest to you.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/dccdiatribe/2011/12/dcc-tech-tip-installing-a-cafe-racer-seat-no-welding/

locoR1

posted on 6/12/11 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks already seen that thread on one of my many Google's

I have a plan for mounting the seat, will be welding some flat bars across the frame and coach bolts secured through the seat base so its simply a case of four nuts holding it on from underneath.

Description
Description

gulf zxr

posted on 6/12/11 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Headlamp looks fantastic Dave.
locoR1

posted on 6/12/11 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

glad you like it! That's the one bit im most chuffed with...Seems to make the bike look longer and more racey looking.

Description
Description

gulf zxr

posted on 6/12/11 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoR1
quote:

glad you like it! That's the one bit im most chuffed with...Seems to make the bike look longer and more racey looking.

Yep, that's exactly what I thought as soon as I saw it

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.