Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Loco's CB500T Cafe Racer build diary
MikeRJ

posted on 6/12/11 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
Your bike is really coming along - Ive just come across this thread about mounting a seat, may be of interest to you.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/dccdiatribe/2011/12/dcc-tech-tip-installing-a-cafe-racer-seat-no-welding/

Looks a bit rough and ready to me (self tappers! ). Considering the frame in that link looks well overdue for re-painting or powder coating I think welding some small brackets onto the frame and holding the seat on with e.g. Dzus or other quick release fasteners would be a much nicer solution than the scabby plastic blocks.

locoR1

posted on 31/12/11 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Last update of the year so Happy New Year to everyone!

Bit more done decided to have a go at making the tank look a bit better what do you think?

Also got the exhaust finished today so that's another job ticked of the list, the complete system is 304 stainless steel.

Think its probably going to be a bit loud so will have to look at making a decibel killer come mot time!

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

gulf zxr

posted on 31/12/11 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Dave, looking good

Happy New Year to you too...

MikeRJ

posted on 31/12/11 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Cracking job on the tank and exhaust! The bracket on the tank looks like it could be potentially damaging to your anatomy however
ceebmoj

posted on 9/1/12 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoR1
Yup cut with a vinyl cutter and stuck on the disk.

If you look back to page 6 i posted a link to load of pdf's for various Honda discs then cut one with my vinyl cutter, have a look see what pattern you like.

If you want one the same as mine I have the file saved so will only take a few min to cut one for you and sick it in the post, if you like a different one it will take a bit longer but still no problem, doesn’t matter what size disc its from as I can resize the image.

can car disks be drilled like this?

locoR1

posted on 9/1/12 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Suppose you could but i wouldn't risk it not drilled to this extent anyway.

The disc on the old CB Honda's are stainless steel and well over engineered you wouldn't believe the weight of the thing and its been done by people for years so i should be safe with this.

Description
Description

jonno

posted on 9/1/12 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if anyone's noticed.. but there's a new series of cafe racer on discovery turbo

Oh nice build as well

having fun on a budget

locoR1

posted on 10/1/12 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks

Yup all set to record the series

Description
Description

MikeCapon

posted on 10/1/12 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Your work on the tank is fabulous.

Design, execution and result. All

Well done. The original tank on the 500T was always a pretty ugly affair. You have transfomed it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoR1

posted on 10/1/12 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks im well chuffed with it, was looking at some very expensive fiberglass tanks so figured i had nothing to loose chopping it about.

Pulled the engine out over the weekend and stripped it ready for blasting painting and polishing,
Was suprised how good it is for 34 years old, the only worrying thing i found was the kickstart return stop worn away on the bottom crank case that explaines why it felt a bit strange was expected to find the return spring broken but nope a lump of casing missing! All sorted now though see pictures good job i have a tig welder

Also some before the engine rebuild pics think it needs a bit of a polish

Lots of bits

kickstart stop repair now sorted

Description
Description

Dangle_kt

posted on 10/1/12 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
I wish I had a tenth of your fabricating skills

Keep up the good work!

locoR1

posted on 28/1/12 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Engines starting to come together after many hours of sanding and polishing, love the way it looks very

Head just dropped on for now as im waiting for an inlet valve and cam chain guide to come from america, One mounting and the metal case of the chain guide was cracked so that would explain the very lose cam chain and bent inlet valve.

Also been playing with zinc plating works really well for a home made setup some good information
HERE if you fancy a go.

Description
Description

T66

posted on 28/1/12 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
That engine is looking mint ! Whats the technique/products used ?

locoR1

posted on 28/1/12 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Main crank cases were blasted then painted with VHT silver engine paint allowed to dry then in the oven at 100 deg for an hour.

Barrels and head again blasted and painted with VHT black crinkle paint this time weird stuff you paint it on 3 coats from different directions 5 min apart then leave for 24 hours looks all glossy for hours then starts to crinkle but doest look great till its been in the oven for an hour.

As for the now shiny engine casing hours of work they were that bad i had to start with 60 grade paper to get most of the corrosion out, work through the grades of paper down to 1200 then its on to the bench polisher still need going over by hand will do that once the bikes built up.

Description
Description

clanger

posted on 28/1/12 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
loving it i
T66

posted on 28/1/12 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Some hard graft going on there with the polishing, and I like the diy zinc coating setup - saved for future reference.

Top notch

locoR1

posted on 5/2/12 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
The Cam chain guide arrived but still waiting for the inlet valve so no progress with the engine so decided to moved on to cleaning up the frame.

Was never happy with the seat unit i modified so order a quality one from Vonzeti with the seat pad already trimmed,
For anyone else looking for a cafe type seat Bert is a really helpful guy i cant recommend him enough, i had the trimming of the seat pad modified with a cut out for the tank strap only charged me an extra £10 to me that's very reasonable.

Had to cut the rear frame loop i had already made off and start again! all done with mountings for the seat, battery tray and indicator brackets and just about ready for paint.

Description
Description

locoR1

posted on 19/2/12 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Really got stuck into it over the last couple of weeks, Last weekend was all about painting! Made up a temporarily spray booth with plastic sheeting then painted the frame and swinging arm first with etch prime then 2k gloss black, 2k paint is nasty stuff but i find i can get a great finish with it, and yes i do have a full face respirator wouldn't use it without one.

Not the most elegant solution but keeps the garage relatively over spray free and the diy extractor fan worked great!

The inlet valve and a few other engine bits i was waiting for turned up last Monday so got that all finished during the week and back in its home

In the next few pics its came together quite quickly due to allot of the bits already being finished.

The last picture is were i am now doing the dreaded wiring, needs quite allot changing as im moving the ignition switch onto the frame under the tank most of the electrics need extending and hidden under the seat unit, new dash to wire and have an electronic ignition kit on order.

Its looking good though well chuffed how it looks now its starting to come together

Description
Description

coozer

posted on 20/2/12 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Looks really good, keep up the good work!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Fizzer

posted on 20/2/12 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Bloody Marvelous
clanger

posted on 20/2/12 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
STOP.................

I'm trying to resist doing one

Awesome work

ragindave

posted on 20/2/12 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
CB500

That is bloody good work!

Keep it up!

locoR1

posted on 20/2/12 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clanger
STOP.................

I'm trying to resist doing one

Awesome work

Ha Ha you know you want to!

Thanks for the positive comments, cant wait to here it run again its going to be a bit loud judging by the thud thud it makes kicking it over

Description
Description

franky

posted on 20/2/12 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Only just found this thread again. You've done amazing there.

I'd love to do a cl450 street scrambler but the bank says no

locoR1

posted on 20/2/12 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks the cl450 is a nice looking bike love the high level exhausts and drum front brake really give it a distinctive look would be very cafed
Dont think they ever made them here.

Description
Description

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.