Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  4    5    6    7    8    9    10  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A New Project, GT6 aluminium body
John Bonnett

posted on 23/8/14 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
I had my 40 year crisis and got a big bike, now enjoying my early 50's spent the last few weeks building my project shed for hopefully a good few years of tinkering 10 tons of concrete and two pallets of bricks later and I am awaiting my oak frame to arrive

Also purchased my sprinting clothes today, I have finally reached the point that I can start spending on myself.

Good on yer Mark, like me you've discovered life is for living because by eck you're a long time dead!

John Bonnett

posted on 27/8/14 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
A bit more progress today. One leg of the tailgate panel is now tacked and ready to be fully welded. The complete panel is getting a bit difficult to handle now.
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

John Bonnett

posted on 28/8/14 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Seems like my misgivings about the panel never fitting again were unfounded, much to my great relief. Once the tailgate panel was welded onto the roof it is quite surprising how stiff the assembly is. There's quite a bit of planishing needed to finish the job but it is encouraging to know that the panel is going to be okay. This was one of the parts of the job I was dreading.

A few pictures bringing this up to date.
[img]http://[/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

rdodger

posted on 28/8/14 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Looks fantastic!

How is the front looking?

John Bonnett

posted on 28/8/14 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
Looks fantastic!

How is the front looking?

Ah, the front, funny you should mention that! I've tried to restrain myself from doing anything with the bonnet. Trev's colleague has made a wonderful job and it is now waiting for me to work out how to fit it. I did give in to temptation and offered it up a week or so ago and I think once the surplus has been trimmed off and it sits several inches further back towards the scuttle it's going to be fine.
[img][/img]

John Bonnett

posted on 1/9/14 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
I've spent ages on the tailgate fit and panel gap and it's now just about as good as i can get it.

rdodger

posted on 1/9/14 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Looks great John!

Can you get a move on though!? I really want to see it finished!

John Bonnett

posted on 3/9/14 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Looks great John!

Can you get a move on though!? I really want to see it finished!

John Bonnett

posted on 5/9/14 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
I've now spent many hours with a flipper and weight working on the tailgate aperture panel bringing up the lows . In my last post i said it was as good as I could get it but I keep nadgering away at it. Where do you stop?

I ordered up a standard roof finisher which I hoped would fit because if it did it would make a nice job of covering the front edge of the roof and clamp it tightly to the mating panel. The finisher is just a U and it needed opening out a tad because my set up is a mm or so thicker than on the original car. Once this was done, to my great relief, it tapped on nicely. So another hurdle over.

[Edited on 5/9/14 by John Bonnett]

John Bonnett

posted on 18/9/14 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
I've done a bit more and following two coats of etch primer and a top coat of French Blue the roof is now bonded on. I used two pack panel adhesive. The roof flanges were clamped down tightly whilst the adhesive went off.

John Bonnett

posted on 23/9/14 at 03:09 AM Reply With Quote
The rear panel is now bonded on to the steel frame and tack welded to the roof panel.

John Bonnett

posted on 27/9/14 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I've just finished the bonding on of all the panels the last being the two rear quarter light panels. Next up is to make the final weld across the width of the car making all the panels one.

John Bonnett

posted on 28/9/14 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Clamps are off and all the panels well and truly bonded on. Certainly no shifting them now. These modern boding adhesives are formidable. The rear quarter light panels are now tacked waiting for the final TIG weld to fully weld the whole assembly together.

ceebmoj

posted on 28/9/14 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
looks great, what are you going to do next?
John Bonnett

posted on 28/9/14 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
looks great, what are you going to do next?

Next up is the driver's side rear wing which will complete the rear bodywork. After that it's going to be the bonnet which will be a project all on its own.

John Bonnett

posted on 4/10/14 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
The in-situ TIG weld has now joined the panels into one making the new aluminium body shell and that is a real milestone. I've spent a bit of time today metal finishing which I've found very pleasing and rewarding.

John Bonnett

posted on 24/10/14 at 04:36 AM Reply With Quote
The weld across the rear of the car which joins the panels together is now metal finished and the rear lights trial fitted. The modified tank is also trial fitted. I've retained the MK3 filler neck on the far side to incorporate an air bleed. Here are a few pictures bringing us up to date. And yes, I do realise the steering wheel is upside down. This is only a trial fit. My main concern was that the column when clamped up, lined up properly for the shaft to fit through the hole in the bulkhead. Fortunately all was well and everything went together nicely.

nick205

posted on 24/10/14 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
I really enjoy seeing your work and progress John - it looks very well executed!

Keep the updates coming

whitestu

posted on 24/10/14 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I really enjoy seeing your work and progress John - it looks very well executed!

Keep the updates coming

+1. Great work!

Stu

John Bonnett

posted on 24/10/14 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Very nice to hear from you Nick and Stu and thank you so much for your encouragement which is very much appreciated. Trev D is coming down this weekend and I'm hoping that he will be able to give me a bit of guidance on adapting the Alfa bonnet. It's going to need a fair bit of re-shaping at the scuttle end but nothing too serious, (I hope!). Once that's been sorted we'll be well on the way.

How is your project coming along Nick?

My wife and I are taking the trials car to France next month just for a couple of day's holiday. The French really love the car particularly when I tell them it has a 205 GTI engine. I'll pop some pictures up when we get back. We are now running a 1.9 engine coupled to a 306 diesel turbo gearbox and this coupled with 185 80 15 tyres gives 30mph @ 1000rpm in fifth. It's an awesome cruiser.

rgds

John

rdodger

posted on 24/10/14 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Lovely work as ever John

Question re the fuel cap. Isn't it going to be flushed in?

John Bonnett

posted on 24/10/14 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Lovely work as ever John

Question re the fuel cap. Isn't it going to be flushed in?

It is flush but I think what you are seeing is the flap with the key in the lock. I just left the keys in so as not to lose them

rdodger

posted on 24/10/14 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I meant the whole filler let into the body to make it flush with the panel?

John Bonnett

posted on 24/10/14 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hi

I meant the whole filler let into the body to make it flush with the panel?

Sorry yes I realised what you meant just after I replied. I could have joddled a recess but it would have to have been a perfect circle which might have been above my skill level

rdodger

posted on 24/10/14 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Above your skill level!?

Come on John I don't believe that!

<<  4    5    6    7    8    9    10  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.