Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How much is a Hayabusa engine?
Gripenland

posted on 9/11/04 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
How much is a Hayabusa engine?

..in the UK?

2000£?

kokos-racing.com

phelpsa

posted on 9/11/04 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
More like £3k

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Gripenland

posted on 9/11/04 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
More like £3k

Damn

So 2500£ for a 99 engine with all accessorys is fair?

kokos-racing.com

locoboy

posted on 9/11/04 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
yes its fair, remember the drysump kit is required too, make sure it has all the engine numbers intact still

ATB
Locoboy

Gripenland

posted on 9/11/04 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by colmaccoll
yes its fair, remember the drysump kit is required too, make sure it has all the engine numbers intact still

I don't believe that the dry sump kit is a must. I know of to many people who successfully use cut and baffled wet sumps.

Are the engine nubers scraped of on stolen engines?
But of course, if I had the money, I would like a dry sump

kokos-racing.com

Gripenland

posted on 9/11/04 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by colmaccoll
just a reminder in case you didnt know, best of luck with the project though - im sure it will be all the way once its done

Thanks!

kokos-racing.com

JoelP

posted on 9/11/04 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
i think people tend to use dry sumps cos its such a damn expensive engine. with the cheapies (fireblade and zx9) it isnt really important if the engine pops.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

OX

posted on 9/11/04 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
i struggled to find the money for my dry sump kit so there would be no chance of me being able to buy another engine if mine failed
i have a westfield baffled wet sump for a busa £70 if you want it

Gripenland

posted on 10/11/04 at 06:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i think people tend to use dry sumps cos its such a damn expensive engine. with the cheapies (fireblade and zx9) it isnt really important if the engine pops.

Good point

kokos-racing.com

tony9876

posted on 10/11/04 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
I have an unused powertec baffled sump to fit the busa if you need one. Only fitted and then removed without use due to being scared and fitting a dry sump
adamhay

posted on 12/11/04 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Gripenland: I imported a 2003 Busa engine & associated gubbins from the US. It was almost new, totally le-git, & had only done 1500 miles. All in, including air freight, taxes, etc. etc. it was £2200 - Bargain!

I know of one other person (who I supplied my US contact's details to) who imported a 2004 Busa engine for £2400 IIRC.

Email me if you want the US salvage dealer's details.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnp0WDDW7xs

Gripenland

posted on 14/11/04 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Email me if you want the US salvage dealer's details.

Thanks, but I already have two engines so I want to sell one (se the For sale part of the forum). I just wanted to know how much I could ask for it without beeing rude

kokos-racing.com

adamhay

posted on 16/11/04 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Gripenland: Right...I understand now. Between £2.5K & £3K, depending on mileage/condition - possibly nearer 2.5 as it's a 99.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnp0WDDW7xs

catflap

posted on 17/11/04 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
Looking for a busa

adamhay mate you have a pm re: the engine supplier in the states

I am looking for a busa engine myself but 2500 is just the wrong side of m budget at moment) for reasons below
I’m really keeping my eye open for a bargain, but worried about geitng a crashed engine and the engine running on its side, a quick search on line has shown a few kitcars that have had engine trouble due to this, so its goto be cheep (keep some cash for a just in case) or a bike that’s never been dropped and sell parts on, or with some sort of warranty for a few months.

Anyhows, drop me a line with the details mate cheers
Ry

Gripenland

posted on 17/11/04 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by catflap

I am looking for a busa engine myself but 2500 is just the wrong side of m budget at moment) for reasons below

I am open to offers

kokos-racing.com

darth G-F

posted on 18/4/05 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OX
i struggled to find the money for my dry sump kit so there would be no chance of me being able to buy another engine if mine failed
i have a westfield baffled wet sump for a busa £70 if you want it

And how good is baffled wet sump?

Hayabusa powered caterham

OX

posted on 18/4/05 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
well i think the dax rush uses the original busa sump with a baffle plate and they have no problems ,from what iv heard.
im not sure on the one i have ,never fitted it,i just worried myself sick wondering if it was worth the risk not to have a proper dry sump kit.
sorry that wasnt much help was it

bike_power

posted on 20/4/05 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
My Dax has the standard wet sump with the drain plug moved to the side to get another inch or so clearance and a flat baffle plate between the sump and the lower case. Don't know if it works as there's only a very few places where I'll need it without using slicks.

Holeshot have a new flat sump, holds an extra litre of oil and comes with a couple of baffle plates, one for the engine and one that goes in the gearbox somewhere. Used by a few grasstrack racers and they say they've not had a problem but I can't see grasstrack cars generating the cornering force of a 7 on a track.

Saw your video Ox, nice

marc n

posted on 20/4/05 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
the reason they stay together in the grass track cars is they are mounted in their original orientation not like the seven
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iiyama

posted on 5/9/06 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
the more I try and find out about this the more confused I get! I still cant get my head around what is ok!

I sorta guess that if money is no object, then dry sump is the way to go. However is it really needed? Some seem to say yes, others no.

Duncan Cowper whos running a turbo busa rush is using a baffled wet sump but, (and forgive me if Im wrong here!), Im not sure that he pays for stuff that goes bang!

My car will be used on the road, when it gets built,(!), but in the main its gonna be a track car. I also want to compete in the time attack series.

Dunno what to do!!!

And yes I do realise that Im the first to post on this thread for over a year!!!

[Edited on 5/9/06 by iiyama]

Hellfire

posted on 5/9/06 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Get in touch with Jack at Holeshot Racing who do a nice aluminium billet sump with a swinging oil pick-up for the Hayabusa. It's a great piece of kit. They're not cheap but nowhere near as much as a full dry sump setup.

Phil

iiyama

posted on 5/9/06 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thing is Ive heard peeps say that the maching on these swing arm pickups is not all that great. Not specifically the holeshot unit mind.

And there fore there is a chance to pull air in rather then oil.

Thats the trouble, getting all sorts of stories!!! Nothing definative.

Hellfire

posted on 5/9/06 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
I've only seen the Holeshot Racing oil pick-up at first hand and it looks to be very well made and swivelled very smoothly. I'm sure Jack wouldn't use them or supply them unless he was confident they were up to the job. Give him a ring and voice your concerns if you are worried.

Phil

iiyama

posted on 5/9/06 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I guess my concern is that dry sumping is pretty much bullet prrof, where as all the other methods are sort of compromises for a bike engine being turned through 90 degress and then put under conditions is what never meant to be in!!!!!
Hellfire

posted on 5/9/06 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard of engines blowing with dry sumps fitted, usually down to hoses coming off. It's easy to get hung up on the issue of whether to dry sump or not. Regardless of what you fit, there are no surefire guarantees. You pay your money, take your choice and hope it was the right one. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Phil

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.