Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: EXUP - getting rid of error codes
Bob C

posted on 6/1/06 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
EXUP - getting rid of error codes

I put a small circuit together to get rid of the EXUP error code on an R1. And it works!!! (cue post from Jimgiblett saying it doesn't work any more. . . . )
Anyway it's just 3 resistors, a transistor a capacitor and a zener - very easy to make,(much simpler than alternative circuits I've seen on the web)
Any small signal npn transistor will do - BC847 if you have to go to maplins for one... the zener's 5.1V and the capacitor is 1uF
cheers
Bob
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=exup.jpg

Paul G

posted on 7/1/06 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not using the R1 clocks so are there any other reasons not to remove the exup valve? I still have it plugged in hanging in the engine bay, I'd take it out but am not sure if doing so will affect anything else - does the ecu know if its there or not?

Cheers

Paul

zxrlocost

posted on 7/1/06 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression that if its plugged in its happy
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

locoboy

posted on 7/1/06 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
whats the price of making one of these jobbies?

Im planning on just mounting my exup valve under the dash.

ATB
Locoboy

progers

posted on 7/1/06 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Paul G,

There is no reason why you cannot remove the EXUP valve, it has no effect on the running of the ECU etc.

The error code on the R1 clocks is the only downside (and that can be eradicated when the engine is running by shorting the EXUP wires together). BoB C's circuit additionally stops the error code when the ignition is on but the engine is not running. Nice to see someone come up with an economical solution to that.

Cheers

Paul

Paul G

posted on 7/1/06 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one fellas, thats another kilo saved!
Bob C

posted on 7/1/06 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Cost? these are all 2p components + a couple of cm of veroboard. If you know anybody who's into electronics they'd knock it up in no time.
A soldering iron is probably not a bad investment for a car builder anyway for splicing looms & such, all the bits are at maplins & similar stores.
cheers
Bob

smart51

posted on 7/1/06 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
The EXUP servo connects only to the ECU. The ECU must send an error message to the clocks. I doubt that the ECU would stop the bike running jsut because the EXUP is broken but I guess there may be a possibility of it limiting something - a kind of limp home mode. I've never heard of such a thing though.
The circuit shown below can be yours for less than £1, plus a small box if you want to do it right. Sounds like a bargain to me. As an electronics engineer, I might have tried that before riveting my EXUP servo to my engine cradle.

progers

posted on 7/1/06 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Just to clarify that there absolutely is NOT any kind of limp home mode or reduced performance map from the R1 ECU if the EXUP is not there.

Race teams junk the EXUP and they would not do this if it had any adverse effect on engine performance. Also all the best aftermarket exhaust systems for the R1 junk the EXUP too. You can happily resign it to the scrap bin :-)

Cheers

Paul

jimgiblett

posted on 7/1/06 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Just to say its all working fine.

The method of display of the diagnoistic codes on the 98-01 clocks is different to that on my 03 inj R1. Where as you get the Tacho tango on the carbed engine you get proper numeric diagnostic codes on the inj model. More significantly though, where as with the carbed model clocks the error code was only present when the ignition was on but the engine not running. The inj 03 clocks continue to give a diagnostic error while the engine is running which is more than a little annoying. So a big thanks from Bob for fixing this with his circuit.

ps. As Paul says no limp home mode and if you are not running the bike clocks probably of no consequence.

[Edited on 7/1/06 by jimgiblett]

R1minimagic

posted on 8/1/06 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
I cannot get rid of the exup error on my 98 R1. I tried plugging the motor in, a vtac circuit, shorting etc as recommended on the web but non of them make it go away. I have had to connect my tacho directly to the ignition coils.

Also, can't get my acumen gear indicator working above 2000rpm, as soon as i rev it loses the signal!

Any ideas please??!!

smart51

posted on 8/1/06 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
R1minimagic, are you connecting both plugs to your EXUP motor? I believe that one of them connects via a bullet connector. IF that is OK, bell out the wires from the ECU plug to the EXUP plug. Check that your loom is OK. After that, try borrowing an EXUP servo off someone to see if that is the problem, otherwise it might be your ECU.
OX

posted on 8/1/06 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
r1 mini,are you sure its not a fuel sender signal
R1minimagic

posted on 8/1/06 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
I have been using the car like this for the last 2 years with no problems apart from not being able to get the gear indicator working above 2000rpm. It programs the gears ok but loses the signal when i rev. I wanted to try using the ecu tacho output for the gear indicator but i cant bcos of the exup error. After trying everything (with no success) i decided to cut all the wires out of the loom that i didnt need, including the fuel sender.

What would no fuel sender manifest itself as??

Cheers

Coose

posted on 9/1/06 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
No fuel sender is another tacho code (can't remember which without looking in my manual). I got rid of this by linking out the wires with a 10k resistor (the only value I had kicking around at the time!). It works a treat....

Spin 'er off Well...

highspeeddirt

posted on 12/1/06 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I've never done any electronics before but this exup circuit looks worth a try. I did a bit of reading on simple circuits and fitting the components correctly so now I've drawn the components as if I were fitting them onto stripboard. Can anyone tell me if I'm going about this the right way or have I completely screwed it up?

Also is the BC547 transistor OK as I can't find a BC847 on Maplins.

Cheers Steve. Rescued attachment IMG_1428.JPG
Rescued attachment IMG_1428.JPG

Bob C

posted on 13/1/06 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Yo 'highspeeddirt'
good try - the BC547 will be fine.
tip - use a -4mm drill to do the track cuts (just spin it in your fingers)- it makes a hole useless but the hole guides the drill to cut the track nicely. - heres a pic of something else
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=Dsc00532.jpg
put the transistor on to 3 strips in line.
Shame I didn't photograph my prototype from the other side! I'll try to come up with a picture like yours tonight & post it on here.
cheers
Bob

[Edited on 13/1/06 by Bob C]

highspeeddirt

posted on 13/1/06 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Bob. I've had another go and this time I've added the anode, cathode and BCE for the transistor. Is this any nearer?

Steve Rescued attachment IMG_1429.JPG
Rescued attachment IMG_1429.JPG

Bob C

posted on 13/1/06 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Only 1 fault I can see - the resistor in the transistor collector is shorted to itself. Loop the resistor leg over the other side of the collector & you'll have room to make the cut.
cheers
Bob

highspeeddirt

posted on 13/1/06 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Like this? Rescued attachment IMG_1430.JPG
Rescued attachment IMG_1430.JPG

highspeeddirt

posted on 13/1/06 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
I guess I also need to put the IN4148 two holes apart and cut under it as well.

Steve

Bob C

posted on 13/1/06 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hah - good point.!
Good luck with it!
Bob

highspeeddirt

posted on 13/1/06 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've just noticed the wiring on my 03 exup differs from the earlier models. There is no black/yellow. Instead there are two black/blues. I assume from Jim Giblett's post that it works on an 03 motor so what has to connect where?

Also a final question, where does the positive leg on the capacitor connect? I think it's the bottom row but want to be sure.

Thanks Steve.

[Edited on 13/1/06 by highspeeddirt]

Bob C

posted on 14/1/06 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
+ side of polarised caps (and LEDs) is always the longer lead. The neg side connects to the transistor emitter.
as to the wiring - the exup has connections to both plugs on the ignition module (carbed models) one has exup motor connections (bla/red and bla/yel) and the other has the feedback pot connections (bla/blu and whi/red)
Hope that helps you work it out!
cheers
Bob
PS - what I call bla/yel; jim called it bla/green so there may be a colour change.... I suspect one of your bla/blu is what jim called bla/green.

[Edited on 14/1/06 by Bob C]

highspeeddirt

posted on 14/1/06 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again Bob.

You're right one of my black/blues is in fact black/green. So that makes more sense. The components arrived this morning so now I'll see how good my soldering is!

Cheers Steve

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.