Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  9    10    11    12    13    14    15  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bodywork for CANAMSA
adithorp

posted on 19/9/10 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
That looks fantastic!... but I'm not surpised given the attention to detail so far.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Dave Ashurst

posted on 20/9/10 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
Looks gorgeous, Fred.

Are you working to a target weight for the finished car?

best
Dave

irvined

posted on 20/9/10 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Looks fantastic!!!

http://irvined.blogspot.com

chrsgrain

posted on 20/9/10 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Wow! Are you planning on painting the car, rather than having a gel finish - I'm sure you are with the work that has gone into it.... looks like that could go straight to paint now...

Awesome work

Chris

PS - when you come to more complex bits that will take longer, have you thought of UV activated resin, it means you can take your time to get everything right, then open the garage door / wheel the thing outside, and it goes off.... makes things much easier!

[Edited on 20/9/10 by chrsgrain]

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

Fred W B

posted on 20/9/10 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the encouraging replies guys

quote:

Are you working to a target weight for the finished car?

Dave - the original cars weighed about 725 kg. That is with an ally mono chassis, but a larger heaver engine than the RV8 I am using. I am hoping that I might end up at say 850 kg or less?

I am weighing the parts as am trying to get a handle on the optimum amount of resin to mix for each layup. I can now calculate I am getting a resin to matt mix ratio of about 2.3.

As an example, to put two layers of 600 matt on 1 square meter, which the door + flanges is, I prepare 5 cut open plastic milk 2 L containers, the contents will be resin:
800 gram
800 gram
800 gram
500 gram
to give me a bit of excess,
plus another 300 gram standing by, in case!

Then I make up the first mix and start, adding hardener to the second mix only when the first one is used up, and so on.

I use a 10 cc syringe to measure out the hardener, works well. The resin is weighed on a cling wrap covered digital kitchen scale ( did you know cut open plastic milk 2 L containers weight 45 grams?)

I use a roller thoroughly between each layer.

I just did this layup tonight on the next door mold, and it took me two hours start to finish, just the actual layup, not including the prep and cleanup. That includes 4 layers on all the flanges.

quote:

Are you planning on painting the car,

Chris - Yes, eventually, but I can see myself running it for in the gel coat finish for quite a while as I debug it (and save up for the red paint.....)

quote:

when you come to more complex bits

In fact, considering all the returns and recesses on the door, seems I chose the most complex bits to start with! - It can only get easier?

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 20/9/10 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

suparuss

posted on 21/9/10 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
That looks stunning that does! i bet that deep recess was a right PITA to lay up!

Im wondering why you are not using woven cloth though? it gives much higher strength to weight than chopped strand.

ive found if i slightly over wet 300gram chopped strand and then overlay this with twill weave cloth it will soak up all the excess resin giving about as good a result as possible with hand layup. if you do a single 300 gram csm onto the gelcoat as usual to make sure you dont get any airpockets against the gel, and then on the next layup do a 300gram csm/ twillweave cloth combo, and then the same again it should come out much stronger than what you have with a bit of weight saving.

Fred W B

posted on 21/9/10 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Russ, I found the worst bit was the long top and bottom returns, as it was difficult to see in around the corners.

As for different materails, I went this way to keep it simple and cheap for a first attempt, but as you say maybe I should have been a bit more ambitious.

Is woven cloth more difficult to lay up?

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 21/9/10 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

suparuss

posted on 21/9/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
it can be a bit difficult sometimes but wets out really easy. main concern is that it wont conform as easily as csm and you need to be carefull not to fold it over, and anywhere this needs to happen you need to cut it and let it over lap other wise the fold may lift up during curing and forn an air pocket.
other problem is getting long strands tangled up in your roller!

worth the extra effort thoguh by a long way. but i agree if you havent done much fibreglassing it is best to keep it simple to start with.

Fred W B

posted on 1/11/10 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Now almost ready to start laying up the "scuttle" section mold. The parting fences are installed (with 3mm hardboard spacers against the door molds to create the panel gaps) and the surface waxed. Just need to plastacine the remaining small edge gaps and finish cutting all the matt pieces and I can then get on with it.

I decided to do this mold in two parts, hence the locating "bumps" at the centre split line. These were made by casting resin around bolts stood upright in the sections of a plastic tray from a box of chocolates, and then finishing them smooth.

Cheers

Fred W B

scuttle mold prep 001
scuttle mold prep 001

scuttle mold prep 004
scuttle mold prep 004

scuttle mold prep 003
scuttle mold prep 003

[Edited on 1/11/10 by Fred W B]

[Edited on 1/11/10 by Fred W B]

ceebmoj

posted on 4/11/10 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
one again amassing work. I love looking at the reflection of the line in the plug
scootz

posted on 4/11/10 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Fantastic! I wish I had 1/10th of your skill and dedication to the task!

It's Evolution Baby!

Fred W B

posted on 31/12/10 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Some pics of the finished two part scuttle mold.

Cheers

Fred W B

ceebmoj

posted on 4/1/11 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
great update as always and I find it very interesting watching the whole project move forwards.
ceebmoj

posted on 4/1/11 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
great update as always and I find it very interesting watching the whole project move forwards.
Fred W B

posted on 12/1/11 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Just finished constructing the parting fences to make the first sections of the nose mould.

Now to take them off again, so I can get on with the favourite job - Waxing!

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 12/1/11 by Fred W B]

speedy123

posted on 12/1/11 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
coming on great mate really admire the attention to detail, and your ability absolutely brilliant
an inspiration to us all
keep the postings

Beg, Borrow and Steal, But always get a reciept

ceebmoj

posted on 17/1/11 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
What are your plans for lights?
Fred W B

posted on 18/1/11 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Plan for lights..

Rear
Use generic 1960's landrover style lucas assemblies, as on the original T70's. I have the actual part number somewhere.

Front
I haven't yet got up the nerve to mark out the cutouts in the nose , so I plan to make the nose mold without them, make the nose, assemble the car and then position the lights in the real nose, using mounting rings to mount 7" lenses.

Once the holes are cut in the nose, put it back into the mold and scribe witness marks of the cutouts in the mold that will then appear on future parts.

Then finish up the internal surfaces of the light recesses, make moulds of the recesses, to then make parts to eventually bond to the nose.

Meantime, save the front corners of the plug, and send them to a friend who does vacuum forming professionally to use them as the basis to make vacuum forming molds for the light covers.

Whew!

Cheers

Fred W B

ceebmoj

posted on 19/1/11 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info. sounds like a good way of getting everything to look right.
Fred W B

posted on 1/4/11 at 04:53 AM Reply With Quote
It's been a while. I've been battling on with the outside sections of the front nose mold.

Hassles included:

I took a chance with some old tooling gel coat, and had to scrap two weeks work when it became apparent the stuff would not harden properly.
Finding a local supplier who would sell less than 20kg of tooling gell took a while.
Removing the parting fences was problematic.
I managed to put some dings in the pattern.
Turns out my parting fence placing is less than optimal in some areas.

to the extent that I have finally had enough of this, so I've given up. This has taken far too much time and money to be sensible and I don't have the strength to carry on.

I have not yet decided if I am going to sell all the running gear bits and pieces I have collected/made or put them into something else. I'll let you know in due course. Must just get over scrapping and disposing of the pattern first.

Thanks all for all the support in the past.

Cheers

Fred W B

TheGecko

posted on 1/4/11 at 06:14 AM Reply With Quote
Errr - please tell me this is a date related post ?!
Ivan

posted on 1/4/11 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Oh no - for a moment there you totally shocked me

I do hope this isn't true

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/4/11 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
I think you need a break, you may have just exhausted yourself with the sheer scale of this project.

From what I have seen you are very very skilled and I have no doubt that with some more cunning you can get over these hurdles. Your only human mind and pace yourself, if this project takes 5 more years so what?! I have spent 6 on just one little car and I'm still enjoying working on it but do need to leave it sometimes and come back refreshed.

If you've really had all you can take just now, wrap it up and put it away for a while, don't do anything rash and wait till you feel like working on it again. I find going to car shows always helps and gives me bursts of enthusiasm.

You owe it to yourself for all the hard dedicated work you have put in so far, you will finish it and you'll be all the more proud of what you have achieved knowing what a struggle it has been.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 1/4/11 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the responses and enthusiastic support. As suspected, the last part of my post was a leg pull, I am still very determined to finish this damn thing.

Cheers

Fred W B

Fred W B

posted on 3/4/11 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Current status.

Here you can see the difficult acute angle I've given myself at the front edges of the parting detail, and 2 small scars I've put into pattern. Wil just plastacine these up and poiish the marks out the mold. They might even be in the headlight cutout.

Ive built some benches to stand on to ease access to the upper surface, and down into the nose duct.

Trying to decide that I CAN lay this up in one hit.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 3/4/11 by Fred W B]

<<  9    10    11    12    13    14    15  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.