Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bodywork for CANAMSA
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 23/4/09 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
I've just finished reading this thread mate and it's just jaw dropping, absolutely stunning.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

Fred W B

posted on 24/4/09 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for posts guys, I'm still making slow progress on finishing off some last details before I go out and buy the surfacer primer.

Haven't had the use of a camera for the last few weeks, but should be able to put up a bit more in a couple of weeks.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Fred W B

posted on 2/5/09 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
I finally have the edges of the openings in the nose and the radiator exit duct pretty much finished.

may 09 top front
may 09 top front

may 09 brake duct
may 09 brake duct

may 09 nose duct
may 09 nose duct

[Edited on 2/5/09 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Fred W B

posted on 2/5/09 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I did some housekeeping in the garage and discovered I've made quite a few templates

may 09 templates
may 09 templates

Fred W B

posted on 2/5/09 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
As an example, it took some masking tape stripes, a lazer level, 5 templates and quite a bit of work to get the two rear quarters to match.

may 09 rear quarter
may 09 rear quarter

Fred W B

posted on 2/5/09 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'm now working round the cockpit edges for the final (pre surfacing primer) time

Cheers

Fred W B

[img][/img]

Ivan

posted on 2/5/09 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
As usual
seansverige

posted on 3/5/09 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent stuff - quality of workmanship shines through in the photos, nose and side intakes look nice and crisp.

Can't wait to see it rolled out into the sun...

ceebmoj

posted on 4/5/09 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
as many others have said the quality of you're work is truly amassing
MakeEverything

posted on 5/5/09 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Holy poo Fred. Youre one clever guy, with a garage load of patience!

Well done my friend. Id love to spend some time in SA to learn some of your knowledge.

Thanks for sharing the experience and good luck.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

andygtt

posted on 15/5/09 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Fred

Long time no speak, great to see your getting to the final stages of making your Buck.... looking really good, cant wait to see it rolled out into the sun.

keep up the great work

Andy

please redefine your limits.

andygtt

posted on 15/5/09 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
Random Thoughts while shaping

I haven’t posted much progress detail lately. The work I’m doing now doesn’t show well in photos, but the shape and surface is getting better and better. I prefer to post details of what I’ve done, not talk too much about what I’m still going to do. I saw on another car building forum a guy posted nice renderings of a car body he was going to build. He gave himself a month to build the plug. After two weeks he had a lump of hacked about foam, and he gave up. Sorry mate – It doesn’t work like that.

All this sanding means you have a lot of time to think while toiling away in the garage. Making a body pattern single handed is a silly amount of work. To do this I think you do have to be determined, some would say bloody minded. It reminds me of when I was cycling competitively, and later racing karts. Sometimes while doing the activity (cycling – while feeling bad and just just hanging on the back of a bunch, karting – being nerfed off the track, or having other issues during a race day) I would think to myself – “this is madness, I’m not enjoying myself, I’m going to give up”. But then at the end of the day you see you have finished a bit higher up than last time, and you feel better, and so you give it yet another go. Having like minded mates to chat/drink beer with after also helps a lot.

I have seen a couple of references that state doing a body pattern the old fashioned way takes maybe 1000 Hours. I reckon I am averaging at most about 10 hours a week on the project, so that would be two years. Currently just starting the 20th month of work on the pattern and I hope to finish this year still, so that 1000 hours seems about right in my case. I read in USA magazine “Hot Rod”'s paint and body issue that rod or muscle car high end professional paint jobs may have 200 to 300 hours of block sanding alone in them – and that’s on an existing car!

I try to concentrate on just the area I am working on, without thinking about the all the work yet to do. When I get despondent I look back through this thread and see how far I’ve come, and that improves my resolve to keep going, as does the positive responses from you guys here.

Experienced builders might smile at the notes below, but I put this down for others who may be considering a similar project. Maybe they are just notes to myself:

There is no “easy way”

Don’t agonize over how to approach or do something. Just start, and move on from there. You may find that eventually the first thing you did has been changed/replaced, but at least you started.

Get each stage as good as you can before you move onto the next. It’s easy to shape wood/foam, less easy to shape GRP, a pain to correct stuff at the body filler stage. Getting it absolutely correct at the drawing stage would be first prize.

Don’t expect to get every section 100 percent the first time. Get it good, do another section, work round the car, when you get back to it you can get it better.

Even when you don’t feel like it, or just have a little bit of time, get in the garage. Things don’t get built if you aren’t in the garage. Even if you just tidy up a bit, you will do something.

Do everything to the standard you want. If it bothers you every time you look at something, rework it.

If you get tired, or find yourself rushing to finish something at the end of a day, stop. Do it next time. You will make mistakes and have to redo it if you don’t.

When you think you are just about finished, you aren’t - The last 10 percent takes 90 percent of the time.

Anything can be fixed / reworked.

Cheers

Fred W B

these thought exactly match my own.....

[Edited on 15/5/09 by andygtt]

Andy

please redefine your limits.

violentblue

posted on 11/6/09 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
coming along nicely, looks good in a solid color.

whats the final color going to be? silver?

a few pics of my other projects

Fred W B

posted on 11/6/09 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Blue

The plan is a deep blood red and silver, just like the single seater below. Sills will be the silver below the beltline as well, running into a gulf GT40 style "moustach" . Stripe will be a broad centre stripe with two smaller stripes each side, like the second picture below, but with wider side stripes, more like the third pic, but here maybe too wide. Also here the red is too maroon for my taste.

Maybe now you are sorry you asked, but I have been thinking about this a lot......

Cheers

Fred

red/silver
red/silver

Inspiration - Crossle 9s
Inspiration - Crossle 9s

maroon
maroon

[Edited on 11/6/09 by Fred W B]

chrsgrain

posted on 11/6/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
That will look awesome..... how close are you to the next 'big' stage Fred?

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

Fred W B

posted on 14/6/09 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris

Don't know if your would call it a "big" step, but next is spraying the surfacer primer. Currently I have sanded the last guide coat off a good three quarters of the body, while it looks lousy I am happy that I am finally getting the surface good enough to start with the primer surfacer.

A few people who have seen what I am doing have commented that they would have gone with the primer surfacer long ago, but I wanted to get the surface good while still in filler, rather than turn lots of the expensive primer surfacer into dust

Cheers

Fred W B

plug june 09
plug june 09

plug june 09 o7
plug june 09 o7

[Edited on 14/6/09 by Fred W B]

Benonymous

posted on 16/6/09 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
No doubt about it Fred, you're a stayer! What was your best profile as a cyclist? I'm betting a mile-eater or a climber rather than a sprinter

I think that body will look superb whatever colour you paint it (except fawn) but I'm a +1 on the proposed red and silver theme.

Fred W B

posted on 16/6/09 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Ben

Good call on the cyclist type, being of small build I was never a "power" cyclist, so not a sprinter. If I could stay with a bunch on the flat I was always able to easily stay with on the uphills, so guess I would be a climber then

Cheers

Fred W B

Benonymous

posted on 18/6/09 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Small fit blokes always make the best climbers

My Uncle conforms to this type and he's still cycling daily at the age of 76 !

Dan.

posted on 22/6/09 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
Fantastic work, I have really enjoyed reading the thread upto this point.... added to my favourites!
Fred W B

posted on 27/6/09 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
So I've got the entire pattern flatted with 120 grit and the mission for this weekend is to start getting the primer surfacer on. I've been able to clear the weekend of all other commitments. I'm finally looking forward to some concrete progress!

I've collected together the materials, spray gun, lots of wet and dry paper. I have my measuring scale. I've taken advice on mixing ratios. The primer surfacer requires a catalyst, some thinner and I have been advised to also add some pigment to the primer in aid in seeing the shape when polishing it back.

By 9.00 am Saturday the pattern is wiped down and I am ready to start mixing the first batch. I reach for the catalyst, only to find I haven't got it!. Apparently I must have left it on the supplier's counter when I picked up all the materials, or lost it on the way home. In spite of searching my car, tidying the entire garage and searching under every bench in case it fell and rolled out if sight I fail to turn it up. And no way to get any more until next week. I am now not very happy!

Cheers

Fred W B

Ivan

posted on 27/6/09 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Oh no Fred that sucks - at least the rugby result was a small consolation.
Fred W B

posted on 5/7/09 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Finally got the first coat of the Durabuild surfacer primer on.

Made a few mistakes, I thinned it with about 25 percent MEK and sprayed it with an syphon gun with a 1.5 mm tip. Battled a bit to get an even build, particularly on the top flat surfaces, but otherwise it went very well, apart from me dragging the air line over the wet surface on one of the door panels and also getting some dust on the surface in a few places. I really should have started from the center and worked out, but in my enthusiasm I did it the other way round and found it difficult to get to the center of the front and rear clip surfaces.

The pictures are with no flatting at all yet. Some mates have been round and have made encouraging noises, and I must admit to be feeling pretty happy with the results. I may just be having a beer or two at the moment!

Now to flat it back and put another coat on. I have now bought a gravity feed gun and will try a 2.2 mm tip, which apparently is much more suited to this work

Cheers

Fred W B
plug 07 01
plug 07 01

plug 07 02
plug 07 02

plug 07 03
plug 07 03

plug 07 04
plug 07 04

plug 07 05
plug 07 05

[Edited on 5/7/09 by Fred W B]

eccsmk

posted on 5/7/09 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
simply stunning
i wish i had the ability to create such a work of art!!
well done

chrsgrain

posted on 6/7/09 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
OMG that is AWESOME.... the amount of work that has gone into it is staggering, but its really great to see it all come together....

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

<<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.