Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kit Car Crisis The truth behind the car
Westy1994

posted on 4/7/12 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

It seems there are a couple of other 'crisis' programs, are these similar in content?

[Edited on 4/7/12 by loggyboy]

I asked that the day I watched this one and no one has answered yet , if they are I won't be wasting my time watching....

loggyboy

posted on 4/7/12 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Westy1994
I asked that the day I watched this one and no one has answered yet , if they are I won't be wasting my time watching....

I beleive there is Campervan Crisis, and beetle Crisis (1 and 2) allthought its hard to be sure, I think the Kitcar one came first, so it could well be the fact it turned out to be a crisis that set the crisis series in motion, rather than the otherway around!
Ive just watched a trailer for the Campervan one, seems vaguely similar in content, but looks like the van acctually got finished!

Mistral Motorsport

fifty50

posted on 4/7/12 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Fifty50, did the TV company do you think, purposely choose this guy and edit the show accordingly to portray not only himself, but you as the fall guys of the show, rather than the subject of building a car. A sort of reality show depicting a guy that is doomed to fail from the outset... I ask this because having only just watched this for the first time the other day, I can't believe that they actually let it be released for public viewing otherwise, or was that the point.

I have a feeling based upon your comment that the title was changed, what the answer might be, but why should you and your company suffer for the plainly childish antics of a wannabe racer. Did the TV company not realise that this had far further implications than seeing one man fail on screen?.

Fity50; The production company guys were actually ok, but they were just doing what the executives at Discovery wanted, I was annoyed by the title change and they had definatly concealed the kit car crissis name from me, I only uncovered this with a note that had been left laying in the car one of the times when we turned up, everyone else involved new the name from the start, but they had always called it man on a misson to me. I'm not sure they ever intended to make anyone look bad, I think it was just that MR was not the right person to be involved. MR had written the series and when it was accepted by discovery he did some deal to take less payment if he could be the presenter, but they dropped hime for the campervan and bettle cris programes

Westy1994

posted on 4/7/12 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
OK, thanks for the reply. It sounds then that they wanted to get another show together to equal the 'Is Born ' series, that I think aired on the same network, looks like the concept was ok, just the frontman wasn't.

I wonder what he is doing now??

Hiding I suppose.

swanny

posted on 4/7/12 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bartonp
quote:
Originally posted by maccmike
thats a genuinely interested story, maybe you could have it published in a magazine or newspaper to a larger audience?
I hope you retrieve your property and dont beat yourself up too much, it could easily have gone the other way and youd be rich and famous.

Name one person who got rich & famous from the kit car industry!
(OK apart from Colin Chapman...)

[Edited on 2/7/12 by bartonp]

Richard Stewart (ex Robin Hood owner)

Westy1994

posted on 4/7/12 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Trevor Wilkinson.
James

posted on 4/7/12 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

It seems there are a couple of other 'crisis' programs, are these similar in content?

I watched the Campervan one on a DVD borrowed from my BiL. I don't know much about Campers but my girlfriend and I did enjoyed watching it.

I've not see KCC but Campervan was more like a documentary than KCC's "here's me building my car". The main guy was maybe a bit naive in spending a lot more on it than the final thing was worth but that's all IMO. (imagine spending hours and £££ building a car that's worth less at the end than buying it! ).

Once he's stripped and acid dipped the chassis the thing was more holes and rust than metal! Took many months over time and many £££ more than expected to basically make a campervan chassis from scratch! lol

James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Westy1994

posted on 4/7/12 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James

(imagine spending hours and £££ building a car that's worth less at the end than buying it!

James

I would imagine most owners of ' Classic' and / or ' Kit ' cars spend far more on a restoration than the end result is worth, I know I have. But then I don't build / restore a car to make money on it, as for the rest of the series, I am downloading them now, more for morbid curiosity than anything else........

off-road-ham

posted on 4/7/12 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

I think the "crisis" in the title of the campervan and beetle programs relate to the problems of restoration and the stress involved.
They are completely different , done with people who know what they are doing or where they don't the listen to people that do.

Westy1994

posted on 4/7/12 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^

He is right, just watched the first two episodes and thankfully this is a proper show, no sign of Mr R at all, featured or credited.

scootz

posted on 5/7/12 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Well that's me watched the whole series and had I seen it at the time of the original broadcast, then it wouldn't have put me off buying a Dominator TS400. Yes, the chassis was a bit rough, but it's a budget kit-car and you get what you pay for. I thought it was fair enough as a base for building your own car. Also, the Dominator guy (Paul Leggot?) came across as a decent spud.

The two instances of chassis failure seen on the show were not a huge concern either. It was highlighted more than once that the presenter had faffed about with the frame and was using diff components that were not suitable for the chassis. I noticed the presenter was doing some of his home-welds on top of painted / powder-coated surfaces, so no bloody wonder there were failures!

It's Evolution Baby!

fifty50

posted on 5/7/12 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe I should give up my diving career and start up manufacturing cars again, hahaha, no just build the odd one now and again for myself and that keeps me happy, although I have a full chassis in my shed that I cant be botherd to complete if anyones interested, I 'd only want a couple of hundred for it.
owelly

posted on 5/7/12 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I may be interested in the chassis. Could you send me some more details please? owelly'at'owelly.co.uk
cheers.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 5/7/12 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fifty50
Maybe I should give up my diving career and start up manufacturing cars again...

That's a pretty cool dilemma to have!!!

Almost up there with the "should I take that job of photographer at Playboy, or the malt taster at the Lagavulin distillery"!!!

It's Evolution Baby!

Westy1994

posted on 5/7/12 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fifty50
Maybe I should give up my diving career and start up manufacturing cars again, hahaha, no just build the odd one now and again for myself and that keeps me happy, although I have a full chassis in my shed that I cant be botherd to complete if anyones interested, I 'd only want a couple of hundred for it.

Now I have watched the second of the ' Crisis' series ( campervan) I feel even more sorry for Paul, the campervan one had no real crisis value in at all from what I could see, if I were to have any issue, it would have been the chaps self imposed time limit, whilst its good to have a goal to work to, it does nothing for the state of their minds.....

It really was just bad luck that Paul got himself involved with Mr R , but it should not have cost him his livelyhood .

I also, had I been in the market, have had no problems in buying that kit as presented by the designer and used with the parts that the designer had planned to use from day one.

Hope you sell the chassis and it goes to a good home where hopefully we can see a proper build of the TS400.

Rich

Steve Hignett

posted on 5/7/12 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
So, has anyone managed to track down what the infamous Mark Reynard is up to nowadays then?

I've no idea why, but I keep expecting him to pop up on this thread and kick off...

Now, that would be funny!

tul214

posted on 5/7/12 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
So, has anyone managed to track down what the infamous Mark Reynard is up to nowadays then?

I've no idea why, but I keep expecting him to pop up on this thread and kick off...

quick search found this

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

blakep82

posted on 5/7/12 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tul214
quote:

quick search found this

hmm, a real life alan partridge, but probably less funny.
i've got the series on sky+ to start recording next week, need to see the series. saw 1 episode i think, broken chain diff/mounting rings a bell? need to see the whole thing really

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

TimC

posted on 5/7/12 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Wait for the Exhaust builder episode and when he walk's in and give it the - Sideways handshake Oh, and I think the words he uses when shaking hands like a gangsta are; How's you, man?. What a complete t w a t............

Ha - genuine laughter of an out loud nature here.

TimC

posted on 5/7/12 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tul214

quick search found this

Awesome. Can we all text him at a predetermined time with the words, "How's you Man?"

[Edited on 5/7/12 by TimC]

JC

posted on 5/7/12 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
'Mark has appeared in a number of pantomimes...'. Say no more!!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 5/7/12 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
His location should read Baldcock
RK

posted on 5/7/12 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Is any of this posted on the web? I feel life will not be complete until I see this. To elicit such a reaction from S H, who has always seemed calm and helpful, in general, is quite something!
James

posted on 5/7/12 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Well that's me watched the whole series

quote:
Originally posted by RK
Is any of this posted on the web? I feel life will not be complete until I see this. To elicit such a reaction from S H, who has always seemed calm and helpful, in general, is quite something!

Seems it's possible!

I'd like to see it too... let us know where you got it Scootz?

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Westy1994

posted on 6/7/12 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC
'Mark has appeared in a number of pantomimes...'. Say no more!!!

Yes I know, I sat and watched all 9 parts of it as well......

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.