Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kit Car Crisis The truth behind the car
SCAR

posted on 8/7/12 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know any of the peolpe involved in the above but from my recent work experience (at least the last 15 years) we are living through the rise of the bullshitter. Usually described as consultants, advisors, or experts. It has had a massive destructive effect on the industry I was involved in and we are all now seeing it exposed in the banking industry. It no longer matters that you are able and capable or knowledgable meerly that you are prepared to claim to be so with overwhelming conviction. Just watch an episode of the apprentice, these people are our future. God help us!
Going in the garage now for some therapy

ben2011

posted on 26/7/12 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've watched this series a few times (good old Discovery Turbo seems to be stuck on a cycle of old programmes at the moment).

Always thought the guy was a clown. A textbook case of all the gear, no idea

He could barely handle his turd brown Fury, let alone a rear engined 'busa racing car.

Always wondered what his ex-wife would say about him...

TimC

posted on 26/7/12 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ben2011
I've watched this series a few times (good old Discovery Turbo seems to be stuck on a cycle of old programmes at the moment).

He could barely handle his turd brown Fury, let alone a rear engined 'busa racing car.

Great first post.

AndyW

posted on 26/7/12 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
quote:

Great first post.

Perhaps Ben2011 was his ex-wife.....

MikeR

posted on 26/7/12 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'm only half way through the series and so far he comes across as enthusiastic and a little out of his depth. he's making the mistakes I would if I didn't think everything through 20 times. basically a bloke having a bit of a mid life crisis (perhaps how they got the title). I'm looking forward to seeing it all fall apart but not at the same time. bloody annoying that people have ended up out of pocket tho, he should sort that out.
MikeR

posted on 2/8/12 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
I've watched the last few episodes .......... he's a muppet.

Someone needed to have a strongly worded chat with him (perhaps on camera for the drama) and stop him messing up.

I don't think the car comes off badly at all. If I was the chassis owner i'd be upset about the pedal box (i saw nothing wrong with it), the bolts (get the right size you muppet), and the diff (needed a 30 second sound bite about it not being designed for it and needing a week back at the factory to resolve, its what you get when you use none standard parts).

The rest of the programme came across as the guy not knowing what he was doing and getting increasingly out of his depth (wheels / brakes / oil lines etc etc), not taking / following advice (the chain being a great example) and hamming it up for the camera.

Rod Ends

posted on 30/10/12 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Kit Car Crisis starts tomorrow (31st Oct) on Quest TV (Freeview 38) @ 5PM

quote:
Episode 1

Race car enthusiast Mark dreams of building and racing a kit car.
But can he achieve his ambitious plan to build an AGM WLR
and learn how to drive it in only three months?

steve m

posted on 30/10/12 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
More SHITE on tv!

time to cancel i think!!!

NS Dev

posted on 16/11/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
digging up an old thread, not sure how I stumbled across it now, after reading it all!!

Very informative.

We have been approached by several TV production companies (3 to be precise) to film various different series.

Only ONE were even on the right planet, and their ideas were good, but as with all good things, were going to be expensive (basically it would have meant paying for myself and my brother and our (at the time) 2 employees (basically £100 per hour) for 12 months solid work solely on stuff for the show) and I'm pretty sure that's why it got canned.

One of the others was sortof ok but the lack of direction I fear would have lead to similar problems as on Kit Car Crisis (which I have never seen by the way)

The final ones are, I'm pretty sure, now behind that shoddy, low budget, barrel scraping utter crap (struggling to find words to describe it politely here) that is Classic Car Rescue.

I think we may have put the production company off on that one when we laughed at them when they were filming the taster, such was the utterly shoddy basis for the series. On camera, with all of us "posed" in a huddle as if having a serious discussion on the merits of a vehicle, they then presented us with photographs of potential subject cars, the first of which was a dented, rusty, 1998 BMW 316..........and then asked us, in all seriousness, what we would do to "restore it".........I think the answer of "simple, scrap it" was not what they expected! After that we realised that this was going to be a wasted half day for all of us!!!

To give him his dues, the guy from the company with the first proposal was actually very switched on, had been to several relevant companies, and on visiting us did do a fair bit of work including involving his producer to re-structure the ideas for the show to make it more practical to film and more appealing to watch ( I think!). As I said though, good TV costs money, and I think that one was too expensive.

If it had gone ahead though, and the TV company hadn't paid us, one of two things would have happened, either they wouldn't have had anything to air, or we would be bankrupt!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

40inches

posted on 16/11/12 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Oooops! Wrong thread (insert Blushing smiley)

[Edited on 17-11-12 by 40inches]

David Jenkins

posted on 16/11/12 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Over the past few weeks I've watched a programme called "Beetle Crisis" - when I saw the title I thought "Oh no - it's another of THOSE programmes" but it was actually quite interesting. It's mostly about VW Beetle restoration (not too surprising!) but the people involved are craftsmen who really try to do a good job. Watching them trying to make a repro VW panel fit a bodyshell was interesting - not "this is a piece of rubbish, it'll never fit" but "this repro panel doesn't fit, I'll have to work to make it as good as the original" - and he does.

They also take time out to race legend race cars - one of my favourite racing categories!

Westy1994

posted on 16/11/12 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
There's one called Campervan Crisis which follows the same format, some of the guys in it are in the VW Beetle one as well.

As for the excuse that is Classic Car Rescue, I gave up on episode 2, not seen any more since and don't want to either - complete waste of time and money.

BenB

posted on 17/11/12 at 05:23 AM Reply With Quote
I quite enjoy classic car rescue- but only to see how bad it is! It's so fake it's ridiculous. What I can't understand is how the valuer comes up with the values they do.
idgaf

posted on 17/12/12 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
dominator ts400

hello Paul,
ive been trying to track you down,and for everyone else that's reading this i'm the person that bought the Dominator kit car company from Paul,the car that Paul built is still running fine and without any of the problems shown in the tv program, in fact the car is in Spain at the moment being used to give passenger ride's at a very fast race track,and if anyone is in Spain and want's to try it for them self's just contact me and i'll see wot i can do,

Paul can you please get in touch as i need some help from you

thanks
russ

clairetoo

posted on 17/12/12 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
I think that avatar needs a bit of shrinking..........................

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

ChrisW

posted on 17/12/12 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo

Fixed.

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clairetoo

posted on 18/12/12 at 12:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo

Fixed.

erm.......no it aint ?

Edit - just checked , and it looks like as soon as the offending oversize avatar was removed , it was replaced just an hour later..........

[Edited on 18/12/12 by clairetoo]

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

ChrisW

posted on 18/12/12 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
Fixed it again!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bobinspain

posted on 18/12/12 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idgaf
hello Paul,
ive been trying to track you down,and for everyone else that's reading this i'm the person that bought the Dominator kit car company from Paul,the car that Paul built is still running fine and without any of the problems shown in the tv program, in fact the car is in Spain at the moment being used to give passenger ride's at a very fast race track,and if anyone is in Spain and want's to try it for them self's just contact me and i'll see wot i can do,

Paul can you please get in touch as i need some help from you

thanks
russ

Spain's a big place Russ.
Which track?

Wheels244

posted on 18/12/12 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Russ

Paul is now a dive instructor in the Philippines - he was flying out there shortly after I bought a chassis off him.
Unfortunately he hasn't responded to the numerous emails I've sent him.

Rob

idgaf

posted on 18/12/12 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
the car is at cartagena track,and thanks for letting me know where paul is what chassis did you buy from him
Wheels244

posted on 18/12/12 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
One very similar to the Dominator|MK GT1

Are you manufacturing the Dominator kit ?

idgaf

posted on 18/12/12 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
yes ive got the mold's and jigs also i new body for it for road use give me a call on 07872652376 for any info

russ

ben2011

posted on 19/10/13 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
This series is being shown all day today on discovery turbo. Followed by the much better A Racing Car is Born!
T66

posted on 19/10/13 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
This series is being shown all day today on discovery turbo. Followed by the much better A Racing Car is Born!

Kit car crisis is a bit lame, but the racing car is born series is good - to be honest both programs influenced me to take the plunge and build a car.

<<  2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.