<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mx5 V6 project
MX5V6

posted on 18/7/12 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Any updates Claire?
MX5V6

posted on 21/7/12 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Claire, which fuel injectors did you use in your ITB setup please?
clairetoo

posted on 21/7/12 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MX5V6
Claire, which fuel injectors did you use in your ITB setup please?

I've used Vauxhall V6 injectors in all my conversions .

No Major progress to report - I seem to have sorted the rough running / TPS signal noise issue by switching to shielded cable , and still have the fan wiring to do , but this last week has been spent getting my Fury MOT ready

And it passed this morning , so I'll be off around the alps soon

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

MX5V6

posted on 21/7/12 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Claire, do you have any pics of your current ITB setup? Any tips on mounting them on the v6?? Thanks!

Also, which Vauxhall injectors please and do you mod the Vauxhall injector wiring loom! Cheers!

[Edited on 21/7/12 by MX5V6]

[Edited on 22/7/12 by MX5V6]

DIY Si

posted on 27/7/12 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
I think Claire and I mount them in the same way, although I've taken the heads off my KLDE to open the ports up a little as I'm using throttle bodies from a Sprint RS, which I think might be a bit different from Claire's ones. I've not seen the two types side by side to check though.

Anyway, I've used a 12mm thick ally plate to correct both the bolts holes and the port shapes. Easy enough to do by hand, but time consuming. I don't have half the toys Claire does in her shed, so I have to make do with using a 1" hole saw in my pillar drill and then finishing the shapes off by hand with a carbide burr in my drill and files. I also used the drill and burr to open the heads up to match the shape better, as the KLDE heads are left with quite an obstruction. You might be able to move the ITBs out slightly to eliminate the worst of this, but I didn't want the injectors any closer to the cam covers. This will also mean I have to make my own gaskets for the plate to head side of things, but the Triumph gaskets can be used on the ITB side, as that's what I've cut them back to.

This is what mine look like now. They're nearly finished as I just need to extend the throttle linkages and persuade Claire to make me one of her bank linkages.

Have a look here for the rest of my photos if they're of any help. They're all viewable in much bigger sizes if needed too.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

MX5V6

posted on 27/7/12 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks, some really good images there!

I was thinking of mounting my ITB's the other way round so they fire into the recess in the inlet manifold? What do you think?

DIY Si

posted on 27/7/12 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Claire used to mount hers that way, but I'm not sure why she changed. There's nothing stopping you doing it, but the fuel rail gets a bit fiddly as it will need to feed both banks.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

MX5V6

posted on 28/7/12 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
I saw a picture of her single fuel rail setup, was wondering what fuel rail she used as it looked like it was a bolted together with each piece feeding an injecror!
mads

posted on 28/7/12 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I saw a picture of her single fuel rail setup, was wondering what fuel rail she used as it looked like it was a bolted together with each piece feeding an injecror!

I believe she made her own fuel rail to meet her needs

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

DIY Si

posted on 28/7/12 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It didn't look like that, it was like that! Must've been a right ball ache to sort out. With the injectors on the outside things are much simpler, and the ITBs sit at a nicer angle for the ports too.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

clairetoo

posted on 5/8/12 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
I did the new throttle body setup as a bit of an experiment - the angled adapter plates where a sod to make , but it put the 'bodies dead straight over the ports . On full throttle you can see the inlet valves......!
I don't think there are any major issues with the 'normal' setup , its just so much easier to make . I will be getting the adapter plates cad drawn as soon as I get back from my car wrecking holiday , so making the ITB sets will get a lot easier .

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

rb968

posted on 5/8/12 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Good to hear!

Hope your enjoying the holiday. Sorry to hear its been a bit of a disaster on the car front .

Rich

DIY Si

posted on 5/8/12 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got any pics of your latest set up to hand when you get back? I'm curious to see the difference between our set ups.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

MX5V6

posted on 6/8/12 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Have you got any pics of your latest set up to hand when you get back? I'm curious to see the difference between our set ups.

New bodies !
New bodies !

This is the one that got me thinking!

DIY Si

posted on 6/8/12 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, I think I'd seen that pic before, but hadn't clocked the upright ITBs as I thought it was the set up I'd seen before with the flat plates and angled bodies. Be good to see my set up and Claire's side by side to see how they compare. I think hers is easier over all, as it doesn't involved pulling the heads, but mine gives a slightly straighter shot at the valves and some very light porting. Overall though, if I hadn't intended pulling my heads from the start, I suspect I'd go Claire's route. But since otherwise the engines are the same, bar the exhaust manifold design (she's got way more room to allow longer primaries), we'll have to have a dyno run one day!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

MX5V6

posted on 29/8/12 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
I did the new throttle body setup as a bit of an experiment - the angled adapter plates where a sod to make , but it put the 'bodies dead straight over the ports . On full throttle you can see the inlet valves......!
I don't think there are any major issues with the 'normal' setup , its just so much easier to make . I will be getting the adapter plates cad drawn as soon as I get back from my car wrecking holiday , so making the ITB sets will get a lot easier .

What angle did you machine the adapter plates to?

clairetoo

posted on 29/8/12 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to say I just dont know - I just eyeballed a throttle body , then set the 20mm thick plate in the lathe so it looked about right.........a bit of trial and error
The hardest part was making a second plate to match

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

MX5V6

posted on 29/8/12 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
No problem! Best engineering is by the mk1 eyeball!! Have you got the drawings for the throttle cams?
Liam

posted on 29/8/12 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Loving this project, Claire. I already want to ditch my old Honda and have one of these with all your bits when I resume my project.

Apologies if you've posted before, but do you know what the engine weighs and roughly how much power you expect to make when you're up and running? Will it be Megasquirted?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clairetoo

posted on 29/8/12 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
I weighed a bare engine at roughly 110 kgs - and theres not much to add to that (ally flywheel , 3 kgs , ally front pulley set another 3 kgs , bike throttle bodies - probably lees than 4 kgs)
One identical to my Fury setup made 208 @ 7300 - I'm expecting a few more due to proper tubular exhaust manifolds .

I've had to put the project on hold for a while - all it needs is insurance , mot and tax.........but I am sitting here with no front teeth wondering where the money is coming from to sort them out

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

MX5V6

posted on 22/9/12 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Any more progress Claire?
scootz

posted on 22/9/12 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
On the car... or on the teeth?

It's Evolution Baby!

clairetoo

posted on 22/10/12 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

After a bit of faffing about , which included stealing the throttle bodies and megasquirt off my Fury (a dead gearbox and snapped cambelt mean its not going anywhere for a while.....) , its now insured , MOT'd , and taxed !

Its on the road at last - let the fettling and tinkering begin

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

D Beddows

posted on 22/10/12 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Resistance is pretty futile with this isn't it! I will be interested in how much a full kit costs when you've ironed out all the wrinkles - if it all comes in the same or less than a half decent turbo install for the standard engine I'm probably interested! - 200 n/a bhp with throttle bodies any day over a turbo
MX5V6

posted on 22/10/12 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
quote:

After a bit of faffing about , which included stealing the throttle bodies and megasquirt off my Fury (a dead gearbox and snapped cambelt mean its not going anywhere for a while.....) , its now insured , MOT'd , and taxed !

Its on the road at last - let the fettling and tinkering begin

How is your hand?

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.