Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mx5 V6 project
vindi49

posted on 25/3/13 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Just read through this thread as I've accidentally bought a V6 engine & part of the adaptor kit off Ardler_Dan ... I've now got a lot of reading to do!!

Russell.

MX5V6

posted on 25/7/13 at 05:27 AM Reply With Quote
anybody heard that the probe V6 engine eats its heads because of oil starvation when configured upright?
clairetoo

posted on 25/7/13 at 05:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MX5V6
anybody heard that the probe V6 engine eats its heads because of oil starvation when configured upright?

Its upright in a Probe , so thats not very likely !

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

MX5V6

posted on 25/7/13 at 05:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
quote:

Its upright in a Probe , so thats not very likely !

I know, some guy on another forum was saying that this engine is notorious for starving its heads of oil? Not heard that before have you Claire?

clairetoo

posted on 25/7/13 at 05:49 AM Reply With Quote
Its identical to the Mx6 engine , as well sharing major components with both the 2.0 and 1.8 versions - none of these have any such reputation ?
I have read that it is a good idea to block off the piston-squirters to increase flow to the crank , allso the main bearing oil galleries need to be opened up , but I have only ever run completely bone-stock engines with no problems at all .
The only grey area that I know of is the piston rings in the Probe version are said to be lower quality due to those engines being made in America . Which may well be true - I have never worked with a Probe engine that didnt smoke , whereas the Mx6 one fitted to my Mx5 doesn't

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Vindi_andy

posted on 25/7/13 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Claire's engine conversion (and sound) woud provide a very nice accompanyment to Tribute Auto's MX250 bodywork....

I said this to myself as soon as I saw the MX250 knowing claire had done this conversion on her fury. Then when I met Claire at Stoneleigh I raised the thought with her.

I am sooo tempted to do this conversion first then get the MX250 kit down the line. Just need to convince SWMBO and source a donor, and engine and funds, and finish the teardop, and get the boot lining fitted back in Tango. Hmmm the list of things to do first seems to keep growing.

DIY Si

posted on 25/7/13 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I've heard/read the same, but it's all nonsense. It's based on a third hand rumour about the engine not fitting in an MX-5 as standard. Which I don't think it will fit as the throttle body would be in the bulkhead. But otherwise this is tosh.

With regards to the oil squirters, the later engines don't have them at all. There can be an issue with either number 5or 6 big end bearing going, but I can't remember which it is. But since you'll get valve float past 8K and the oil pump is pushing it that high up as well, it's best kept with a limit of 8K. Checking and closing the cam cap clearances will go a long way towards solving a lot of the oil problems as they share the same oil gallery as the crank. And with 20 caps, there can be a great lose of pressure/flow through the heads. Some of mine were at the upper limit but have been closed down to near the lower limit. It's dead easy to do as well.

The later block with no squirters looks like this, should it be of interest to anyone:

Otherwise the engines are pretty strong. They'll take reasonable boost as stock, but for N/A stuff the compression is low and the cams mild as milk. But with ITB's, as Claire will agree, they'll still make 205-210BHP on an otherwise standard engine.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

MX5V6

posted on 25/7/13 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Anybody had the heads flowed and uprated cams fitted? Worth doing if you are building an engine?

And anybody got any info on dry sumping one?

[Edited on 25/7/13 by MX5V6]

DIY Si

posted on 29/7/13 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
It depends what you're looking for and how much you have to spend. Tuning the KLDE isn't cheap as there's so little following around the world for it. A set of KLZE pistons from the JDM spec engine will give you 10.5:1 compression, and along with the cams from the same engine is probably the cheapest way to get some more power. Otherwise it's reground cams and forged pistons which will be much more.

Head work is only really worth it if doing something else to the engine. I've only port matched my ITBs to the head because I wanted to. But de-shrouding the valves is worth it if you're looking to have a little play about, as the heads have a squish design to them, rather than a fully open chamber:

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

MX5V6

posted on 3/8/14 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Due to a change of plans! (house DIY mainly!) here is my collection of V6 bits for sale

http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?app=classifieds&module=core&do=view_item&item_id=1091

<<  3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.