Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rosco's haynes Build
Rosco86

posted on 7/9/15 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Right well I've mocked up air box idea number two just to get an idea of size, looks ok, I've mocked up a bit of wire to represent the bonnet line roughly, also I'm a bit worried about induction noise with this method as it's got to be less than 99db at 3/4 throttle!!! Is there anyway of getting this rpm dropped, maybe a new power graph showing peak power at 8000 rpm say??

My Build Thread

Rosco86

posted on 14/9/15 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Not many photos tonight but it doesn't mean I've not been busy, got my driveshafts from j&r on eBay greased, built up and fitted

Got a type 054 battery, think it's going in the passenger footwell behind a foot rest, so made the foot rest fit and made a strap out of stainless

This will bolt through the floor from underneath, all bits need a bit of padding here and there

Then spent most of Sunday drawing and deciding how to do my air filter

First try was with a k&n filter but looks to big,

Next is to suit an itg sausage filter over the top, this is what I'm going to do, I've got to make a new fuel rail and a base plate

Std injectors which will fit in the new rail/bracket

This method seems the simplest, easy to make, most compact and uses an off the shelf air filter

My Build Thread

Rosco86

posted on 16/9/15 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Well got all my anodizing back today, looks sweet

Gear shifter

Roll cage bungs, I admit I got carried away with these, but I do love it! Made a bit of a logo with my initials

Brake tags bonded and riveted on (I spoke to the tech iva man at the dvla about this and he said it's fine as long as there secure) also got all my brake pipes back on tonight, I just need to rivet the p clips on

Rad brackets fixed on and fan fitted

Brake res fitted

My air trumpets turned up yesterday so now I have 4 short ones

Started the fuel rail bracket

Back plate drawn up

Just need to order one of these filters

My Build Thread

Neilwilson

posted on 16/9/15 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
The effort that you have/are putting in is outstanding, definitely reflected in the quality of your build.
Really like the personal emblem, I can imagine at some point you will have a badge on the bonnet much the same

Rosco86

posted on 16/9/15 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neilwilson
The effort that you have/are putting in is outstanding, definitely reflected in the quality of your build.
Really like the personal emblem, I can imagine at some point you will have a badge on the bonnet much the same

Thanks mate, it means a lot, it's hard to keep it up week in week out but if I don't I won't be happy

As for the badge, I may already have made it

My Build Thread

Digimon

posted on 17/9/15 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
I take my hat off to you sir the attention to detail in each part is amazing!
Adamirish

posted on 17/9/15 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
As everyone else has said, the attention to detail is incredible in your build, I can't wait to it finished and used in anger. When do you hope it will be on the road? Are you not worried when you finish?

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Rosco86

posted on 17/9/15 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Wow thanks guys,

As for finish date it's done when's it done but I am spending all my spare time on it as I want it finished, I would like to be somewhere near in the start of next year

My Build Thread

Rosco86

posted on 17/9/15 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Well finished my fuel rail bracket off tonight, just got to make a few bosses for it

Then onto the handbrake cables, I thought this would be an easy job but it wasn't, the cables weren't really long enough and not sitting nicely, I was ready to leave it for tonight then I thought about making some exstention tubes

The cables are a snug fit in the tubes and locate on 50mm also it stops them from rubbing on the diff

I just need to make a couple of brackets to hold the cables in place off the wishbone bolts

I've removed the adjuster from the cable but I will still have adjustment on the cable end fitting as it has grub screws in

My Build Thread

Rosco86

posted on 19/9/15 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Well more done today, made some little crush tubes for the fuel rail, also I've vapour blasted the bracket to make it look at bit more factory

Also I've started making a new gear lever, just the lower bit with the bearings in as its a bit of a bodge lol

My Build Thread

Rosco86

posted on 20/9/15 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
More done today, loads of bits and bobs to do, got my clutch cable sorted, had to make a bit at the pedal end and solder a bit on the other end, it wouldn't solder to start with, to hot I think, but got it done in the end.

Also got all my aluminium engine cradle spacers back on and tightened up.

Then went down my dads and made my air filter backplate ready for the itg filter, I got a drawing from ITG for the outside

Came out mint

Pretty much there now, just need a few holes in it for wiring, air temp and the fuel feed, also need some 3mm spacers under the trumpets to replicate what was there before as it's got orings that seal everything

My Build Thread

theduck

posted on 20/9/15 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure it is me missing something, but if you use a JC50 filter won't you end up with the secondary injectors soaking it in petrol?
wylliezx9r

posted on 20/9/15 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theduck
I'm sure it is me missing something, but if you use a JC50 filter won't you end up with the secondary injectors soaking it in petrol?

Don't think so. The secondary injectors and trumpets will sit within the dome of the filter.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

theduck

posted on 20/9/15 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
See. Knew I was missing something!
Rosco86

posted on 20/9/15 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah thats it, the filters going to cover the lot, it seemed like the best way, simple and easiest to make, also hopefully i wont have to cut to much out of the bonnet, and it will be sucking cool air, im just a bit worried about the induction noise, but i will have just have to see

My Build Thread

Rosco86

posted on 26/9/15 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Steering rack and track rods re fitted

When I re fitted the steering shaft my break pipe was in the way so I had to make a new one

Rear discs and pads fitted

Done a bit more on my inlet, fuel rail all fitted and fuel piped up

I removed the pins from the injector plugs ready to pass through a grommet but then decided I'm going to cut the lot and put a connector inline so it's easily removed

Also my air filter came last week and fits sweet!

[Edited on 26/9/15 by Rosco86]

My Build Thread

Adamirish

posted on 26/9/15 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
I know its hard to tell without the scuttle etc fitted but wont the filter stick out too far to see over the top?

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Rosco86

posted on 26/9/15 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah it's hard to tell, I think it will stick out by about 100mm so not to bad I don't think, as some scoops are 50-60mm I will just have to see when it comes to it

What's everyone else think?

My Build Thread

CosKev3

posted on 26/9/15 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see you finding a good enough looking scoop to cover that.

Would just need to have it poking out through a nice neat cut out in bonnet I think looking at it.

Not sure on IVA and filter sticking out though,would pass radius tests ok but not sure about noise test.

Rosco86

posted on 26/9/15 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
I can't see you finding a good enough looking scoop to cover that.

Would just need to have it poking out through a nice neat cut out in bonnet I think looking at it.

Not sure on IVA and filter sticking out though,would pass radius tests ok but not sure about noise test.

Yeah that's what I was going to do, I might have to make a fibreglass bulge to keep it under the bonnet for iva, I will just have to see I guess, I just hope it doesn't block my view lol

It's the most compact solution I could think of without laying the throttle bodies on there side

My Build Thread

Rosco86

posted on 27/9/15 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Had a morning on my dads cnc today

These are to go under my trumpets on the inlet to replicate the thickness that was there before

Handbrake cable tags

Works like a dream to!

This is a bracket for over the diff, just need some more grommets

My Build Thread

Rosco86

posted on 1/10/15 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Well got a few jobs done this week, got my handbrake bracket fitted, really pleased with this as its held the cables dead in the right place

Decided on what switches I'm going to use for my dash, and got some switch guards, only thing there 4mm not 5mm so I think they will fail iva so I'm going to have to push some rubber tube over them I think

Also made a mount for my wheel speed sensor, there was a spare hole on the engine so I used this, it's going to pick up off a long bolt on the prop adapter

It sits closer than it looks, it's just the angle of the pic

My Build Thread

rdodger

posted on 1/10/15 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
CBS 5mm Switch guard

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/toggle-switch-guard

theduck

posted on 1/10/15 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I used this on mine

BMW MINI ONE COOPER S R50 R52 R53 TOGGLE SWITCH PANEL NO ASC/DSC 6917985

Johneturbo

posted on 7/10/15 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Amazing build, top quality fabrication

I only got to page 7, as from page 8 none of your photos are coming up

<<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.