Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mx5 V6 project
clairetoo

posted on 29/1/12 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
A bit more progress this week - I made the oil pickup pipe , welded the sump plug in and added the re-positioned dip-stick . Just a quick leak test and a coat of paint and it will be fitted to the engine thats going into the car .
The exhaust manifolds still need a bit of finishing though.......

[Edited on 29/1/12 by clairetoo]

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

clairetoo

posted on 11/3/12 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Loads of progress this weekend - well , the sun has been shining at last !

I got the oil pickup mounted , and test fitted the starter and adapter plate , as well as finishing the clutch slave cylinder setup .

Then , after a test fit to check starter engagement (perfect ! ) , it was out with the trusty engine crane , and in went the engine .......

Now I can get on with finishing the exhaust manifolds , fitting the alternator - I've decided to use the Mx5 one as it saves messing with wiring - and sorting the plumbing out .

[Edited on 11/3/12 by clairetoo]

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

rb968

posted on 11/3/12 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good Claire.

Bet you've been asked this a few times before....but will one of those fit in an MK Indy chassis?

Rich

clairetoo

posted on 11/3/12 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rb968
Looking good Claire.

Bet you've been asked this a few times before....but will one of those fit in an MK Indy chassis?

Rich

Cant see any reason not to try

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

clairetoo

posted on 13/3/12 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
I found a small problem tonight while tackling the starter wiring.............tonight was the first time I had fitted the starter with the complete engine and box in the car , and the solenoid hit the tunnel side
The easy answer was a small `adjustment' to the tunnel.................or take it all out and re-make the engine mounts to move it across a few mm...............

So after a session with a hammer , in it went , on went the re-worked wiring , connect the battery .................................... and it turns over on the key

To say that I am a happy bunny is an understatement !

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

alistairolsen

posted on 15/3/12 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Really like the look of this, the v6 suits the roadster theme perfectly and 200bhp is just about spot on for the car. Shame they didnt do it from the factory really!

Feel for you on the underseal too, it should be outlawed IMHO.

My Build Thread

clairetoo

posted on 24/3/12 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Since the post man did the business this morning and turned up laden with stainless bends and tube , I got well stuck in and made these -

I did have to pop in to work first thing to borrow a welding mask - mine packed up , and after only twenty years

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

big_wasa

posted on 24/3/12 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
You have way to much talent
Benzine

posted on 24/3/12 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
great thread, top stuff!

what TBs are you using, claire? 2 sets of 3 cylinder TBs? daytona 675/955?

[Edited on 24-3-2012 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clairetoo

posted on 24/3/12 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
great thread, top stuff!

what TBs are you using, claire? 2 sets of 3 cylinder TBs? daytona 675/955?

[Edited on 24-3-2012 by Benzine]

I'm using two sets of T595 TB's , my `standard' setup

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

clairetoo

posted on 10/4/12 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Now that the rubbish Easter weather is over , I got under the bonnet tonight after work and fitted the exhaust manifolds , and oil filter `bracket' (along with the stock oil to water cooler)
They were a bit of a struggle , getting past the steering column was not easy , but as the first complete manifolds I have ever made I am quite chuffed

[Edited on 10/4/12 by clairetoo]

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

clairetoo

posted on 17/4/12 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Just a little update - some alloy bar I had been waiting a week for arrived today , so a quick session on the lathe saw these finished tonight - I'm trying to resist the urge to make an alloy idler pulley to complete the set , but it would finish it off nicely

[Edited on 17/4/12 by clairetoo]

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

mcerd1

posted on 18/4/12 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
very shinny

-

DIY Si

posted on 24/4/12 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Does that mean you have enough ally to make me a set too?

Oh, I know I asked a few weeks ago and since forgot, but any chance of either a set of those exhaust flanges, or the drawing for them?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

clairetoo

posted on 24/4/12 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Does that mean you have enough ally to make me a set too?

Oh, I know I asked a few weeks ago and since forgot, but any chance of either a set of those exhaust flanges, or the drawing for them?

I just happen to have accidentally over-ordered.......so , yep , no problem to make more Allso the ally has arrived for your flywheel , I'll be making a start on that very soon

If I have your email , I'll bung you that .dxf , again no prob

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

DIY Si

posted on 25/4/12 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Claire. U2U on it's way!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

clairetoo

posted on 1/5/12 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Slow progress here........but progress never the less ! The weather is making it kinda hard to do much - I really need to get a heater in the shed
But tonight , the postman brought me an M3 tap and 2.5mm drill , so I fitted the trigger wheel to the bottom pulley , and finished off the alternator mount - heres the result

My new radiator arrived as well - but some idiot has put a chassis rail in the way of the fan switch
So a bit of `modification' needed

[Edited on 1/5/12 by clairetoo]

[Edited on 1/5/12 by clairetoo]

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

theduck

posted on 1/5/12 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Love this build and your ability to machine/make parts!
clairetoo

posted on 12/5/12 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
The radiator is now in place - I had to cut all the stock mounts off , trim a small amount from the drivers side rail (then seam weld the missing corner) , and cut a recess in the left side to clear the fan switch (which I filled in with some 2mm steel)

With the rad in place , I then bent a bit of 1 1/4 alloy pipe to run down the left side from the thermostat connection to the bottom hose fitting on the rad .

I allso got the re-painted cam covers on , fitted the throttle bodies and finished the linkages , fitted the FPR and started on the fuel pipes , and finished off the alternator wiring .

Quite a successful day - and if the sun shines , I'm hoping to get the exhaust finished tomorrow

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

DIY Si

posted on 16/5/12 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
What spacing are your ITBs at Claire? My body for cylinder 1 doesn't have room to fit the TPS on it, but yours does.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

clairetoo

posted on 16/5/12 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
The ITB's are in line with the ports - 97mm centers - but the TPS has been rotated 180 degrees (by machining a second flat on the spindle dead opposite the original one)
This allows the TPS to fit at the front - my early setups had the linkage at the front .

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

clairetoo

posted on 16/5/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Since I decided to use a Golf Vr6 radiator , I figured I may as well use the fans to go with it as well - so a quick visit to ebay Sunday morning netted a complete slam panel , with twin fans and a rad thrown in , for the princely sum of £12

A quick session with the jigsaw to cut it down to a usable state and it now fits - still a couple of brackets to sort , as well as a bit of tidying up - but the plan to try and make it all look like it left the factory with this engine in is still on track

Next bit to work out - anybody know where I can find the Golf 2.8 Vr6 fan wiring ? It has a four pin fan switch , as well as a four pin connection to the fan motor.........

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

DIY Si

posted on 19/5/12 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
The ITB's are in line with the ports - 97mm centers - but the TPS has been rotated 180 degrees (by machining a second flat on the spindle dead opposite the original one)
This allows the TPS to fit at the front - my early setups had the linkage at the front .

Ah, that'll be why then. Was thinking I'd somehow fitted mine differently. Is there any advantage to having the TPS at the front?

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

clairetoo

posted on 19/5/12 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo

Ah, that'll be why then. Was thinking I'd somehow fitted mine differently. Is there any advantage to having the TPS at the front?

The TPS was moved to allow the linkage to go at the back , where there is loads more room - thanks go to Chris (ITI_UK) for this mod

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

MX5V6

posted on 21/5/12 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
following with interest Claire (MAZLOC from MX5Nutz)

Can you U2U me with the cost of a pair of those manifolds please, they look great!

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.