Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4.3L TVR Rover V8 into a Fisher Fury
scudderfish

posted on 30/1/12 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a bit stumped. The crank is held down by 10 bolts which are meant to be torqued to something like 70lbft. I've just had a go with a 450Nm (330ish lbft) impact wrench and it didn't budge them
l0rd

posted on 30/1/12 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Well you only had a go, what do you expect.

Try it a couple more times

Apply some heat and try again?

gazza285

posted on 30/1/12 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Give them a crack with a hammer first.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scudderfish

posted on 2/2/12 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Aha! Got the buggers out!

After a bit of advice from v8forum.co.uk, I strapped the block to my car, stuck a 3ft pole to my 3ft breaker bar and gave it a (very) good heave. Once one had gone, I was a lot more confident about the rest.

To my untrained eye, the crank bearings look OK to me, but I'm going to replace them anyway.

The block has now gone to Power Units in Hatfield for them to hone the bores and give it a bit of a wash. Time to start ordering more bits.....

Chippy

posted on 2/2/12 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Shell does look fair, but its definately a false economy to not replace the shells when rebuilding an engine, no matter how good they look. IMHO. Regards Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

MakeEverything

posted on 2/2/12 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Dave, That crank looks brand new! a good buy i think.

Worth checking with power units what "Cleaning" they are going to do. When i spoke to them last, they didnt clean the block, just worked it. They said " But we do give it a wipe over"... Further questioning identified the wipe over to be of the mating surfaces!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Irony

posted on 6/2/12 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Those bearings look okay but I would replace them anyway as they are quite cheap. The trouble with these engines is that you can keep on replacing parts seemingly forever until you've spent a small fortune. Different people have different opinions on what should be replaced when building. It depends on your cash pile I suppose.
scudderfish

posted on 6/2/12 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
A new set of crank bearings came with the engine, so it'd be rude not to replace them. It's getting new valley, oil pump, water pump, and rocker gaskets and rings. I got a nasty shock with the head gaskets though, a replacement pair is £160 and they're not available. The composite head gasket is 0.14mm larger than the copper one. Tin ones are almost exactly half the thickness of the copper, I could always stack two.....
Irony

posted on 7/2/12 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
I am sure someone over on the V8 forum can help you with the costly gaskets. It might be a idea to ring V8 Developments, V8 tuner or RPI and ask them what they would do. I am sure V8 devs or RPI will have the answer.
scudderfish

posted on 9/2/12 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
I couldn't face the cold today so my block is still at Power Units, I'll get off my arse tomorrow. I do have some good news on the head gasket front though. I was wrong about the copper gaskets, they are actually the same thickness as a composite one, so I've ordered a pair of them from V8 Developments along with a few other odds and sods.
scudderfish

posted on 17/2/12 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
OK, next problem. The external core plugs are rustier than my CSE French. How do I get them out?

Davegtst

posted on 17/2/12 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hammer an old screwdriver through and lever them out.
coyoteboy

posted on 17/2/12 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj7AcjNDa1Y
scudderfish

posted on 17/2/12 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Success! Local odds & ends shop had a big screwdriver for £1.99. Several large smacks and they twisted enough to get some mole grips on and wiggle them out.

Regards,
Dave

robinj66

posted on 17/2/12 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
You're a lucky boy - that look like a nice engine to play with (and TVR have done some of the work for you anyway).

Not sure you will need to lighten the flywheel on that - might be prudent to weigh yours and then get the standard weights from Eg, V8 owners forum.

The cams in these engines do tend to wear, expecially if the oil no longer has the additives (Inc zinc). That's why a lot of people recommend stuff like Valvoline 20/50 etc.

If you need things like core plugs etc you should try some of the suppliers previously mentioned - I would also recommend JRV8.

I would buy a workshop manual to get all the torque figures etc - either the early Haynes or one of the other ones available on Ebay etc.

Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure you'll get a great deal of satisfaction im building your own engine. I found the RV8 to be very easy to work on ( and I'm as cack-handed as they come )

scudderfish

posted on 17/2/12 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
JRV8 is about the only one I haven't bought something from so far Real Steel didn't have any core plugs in (but they did sell me a very reasonable set of main studs and head studs), but I found some on ebay.

Here it is with the plugs out, I guess it's been running with red anti freeze

And now with the new plugs in

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 17/2/12 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Photo fail Dave?

Edited to say - Aparrently not

[Edited on 17/2/12 by Xtreme Kermit]

scudderfish

posted on 19/2/12 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
More progress!

Cam in, assisted by Kate. I put the block so that I could drop it in vertically, made it a lot less fraught than getting the old one out.

ARP studs in. I got these (and the head ones) from Real Steel as they were cheaper than the same items from V8 Developments.

And the crank torqued down.

sebastiaan

posted on 19/2/12 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Good progress!

It looks a bit dry in there, might be the photo's. I take it you have liberally coated everything with fresh engine oil before bolting the crank down?

Keep it up, it's going to be one hell of an an egine!

scudderfish

posted on 19/2/12 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, there is now a load of kitty litter under the engine stand to soak up all the oil and assembly lube that fell through
SCAR

posted on 19/2/12 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Nice thread this, I will follow with interest having just got hold of a 4.6 that was advertised as low mileage (72k). Haven't looked inside yet but prepared for the horrors that may lie within. Intend to rebuild it if necessary or just dress it up nice and shiney.
scudderfish

posted on 19/2/12 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Piston rings fitted. Unfortunately I got 3 piece oil rings for a total of 40 to fit. Maybe 4 cylinder engines do have some advantages after all....
scudderfish

posted on 23/2/12 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Pistons are in.

First one was a git, the rings kept popping out of the compressor. Hitting it harder did the trick.

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 23/2/12 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Great stuff. Many years since I did some piston rings, and I don't remember it being overly easy...

On a different tack, where are the thrust bearings on the RV8? I seem to remember these being useful things. At least the engine didn't last long without them

robinj66

posted on 23/2/12 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xtreme Kermit
Great stuff. Many years since I did some piston rings, and I don't remember it being overly easy...

On a different tack, where are the thrust bearings on the RV8? I seem to remember these being useful things. At least the engine didn't last long without them

they are on the middle (I think) main bearing. The earlier ones are one-piece and the later ones are in 3 (?) parts

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.