Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4.3L TVR Rover V8 into a Fisher Fury
scudderfish

posted on 23/2/12 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Yep centre of the 5 bearings has thrust faces on it. You can just see half of them in the photo I posted above on 19/2/12 at 14:29

[Edited on 23/2/12 by scudderfish]

scudderfish

posted on 24/2/12 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Cam followers and head studs in.

It was only when I opened the box that I found that 6 of the 20 were longer than the others. I had no idea which were meant to be longer, so I put 10 of one size in, dropped on a head and then noted which ones didn't poke through

I've got the old copper gaskets in place whilst I fiddle with checking lifter preload. They are the same thickness as my new composite gaskets, but it doesn't matter how often I torque them down. I'll put the composite ones in on final fit.

It's beginning to look like an engine again.

Toprivetguns

posted on 24/2/12 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
I cant wait for the start-up video ! Great Progress

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

MakeEverything

posted on 24/2/12 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome work Dave.

Did you set the static timing before putting the chain on.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

scudderfish

posted on 24/2/12 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, although the timing marks don't quite line up. The chain is a bit saggy so I'm probably going to replace it. This is where my confusion is likely to cost me money as I see the following options, costing between £12 and £145

http://www.v8tuner.co.uk/product.php?id=734
http://www.v8tuner.co.uk/product.php?id=98
http://www.v8tuner.co.uk/product.php?id=699
http://www.v8tuner.co.uk/product.php?id=97
http://www.v8tuner.co.uk/product.php?id=680

Too much choice!

robinj66

posted on 24/2/12 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
It would probably be a good idea to replace both the chain and the sprocket. If yours has nylon teeth then replacement is a must.

Can't remember what cam you're fitting but if it's a high lift job then you might want to splash out the extra on the vernier adjustable sprocket. Otherwise I would go for the middle one of the options posted

ETA Once your engine is re-assembled, you might also want to check that the timing mark is accurate - find true TDC and don't rely on rover to have got the timing mark right.

[Edited on 24/2/12 by robinj66]

scudderfish

posted on 26/2/12 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Just got a vernier set from eBay for £47 Apparently done 28k so I may splash out on a new chain for it, but still considerably cheaper than a new one.

Regards,
Dave

scudderfish

posted on 2/3/12 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Small update, my vernier cam chain set finally arrived, as did the injectors from the ever so generous Froggy. I really need to strip the front end off my current engine now, which is going to be awkward.

mark chandler

posted on 2/3/12 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Tip for others that do not want to buy a vernier cam wheel set, you can carefully file a new keyway in the lower gear to set it up without any detriment.

We used to do this to advance the cam slightly for additional torque when trialling landrovers, when you look at the cog you can see the keyway relative to the gear teeth so we used to file additional keyway 1/3 further around slightly more offset to the teeth.

It is also worthwhile drilling two 3/8" holes from the cam valley into the back of the chain area, this allows oil to spill onto the back of the chain which helps lubricate the the front end.

RV8 additional oil
RV8 additional oil

Especially important when the engine is tilted back to make it fit as this area can stay quite dry.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 2/3/12 by mark chandler]

scudderfish

posted on 4/3/12 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen those holes done before, but always from the valley side and I was concerned where they came out. I'm not feeling brave enough to start drilling new holes in my block yet.

I haven't touched the TVR engine this weekend, I've done a few things to the car. First thing was take the bonnet off :-

I'd had the car up on stands to drain the oil and most of the coolant, but a fair amount of the latter came out when the car came back on it's wheels.

I got the water pump off, but snapped a bolt. You can see the remains of it top left.

The vanes of this pump are quite different to the one off the TVR engine.

I also got the remote oil housing off.

There is some scoring, but a lot less than the filter housing I took off the TVR engine. My main problem is figuring out how to get the oil pipes off, those nuts are about 27mm across and I don't have spanners that big.

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 4/3/12 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
So Dave, I take it from the earlier photo that the TVR water pump is toast. Are you going to use this one?

And, is the remote filter hosing usable as is or is it possible to re-surface it?

scudderfish

posted on 4/3/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
I was planning on not using the TVR water pump anyway as my current one is shorter. Space in my car is somewhat limited, and the current one is shorter. Over the 30/40 odd years this engine was in production, there were quite a few variations in the front end and whoever built my car seems to have picked the small bits. The remote housing is usable as is, but if I can figure out how to get the pipes off I'll have a crack at refacing it. Mark Evans did exactly that in one of the episodes of 'A 4x4 Is Born'. Three episodes of that (all on YouTube) cover a similar strip and rebuild of a Rover V8.

Regards,
Dave

mark chandler

posted on 4/3/12 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
I refaced mine, piece of glass with wet and dry on top.

If you can get hold of a landrover 101 cover it has oil cooler lines and takes the filter up the side of the block rather than below. its a much nicer solution than a remote filter.

regards Mark

[Edited on 4/3/12 by mark chandler]

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 4/3/12 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Could you use a pipe wrench on the connections if you haven't got a spanner to fit?
scudderfish

posted on 15/3/12 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Not much to report. I got the front cover off my old engine and it is currently soaking in degreaser to get the accumulated crap out of it. I also bought myself an engine crane as I found one on Amazon for £150 which seemed a reasonable price.
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 15/3/12 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly time for detling Dave... Time to get a shufty on
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 16/3/12 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Dave, Chris on the quantum list is thinking of V8ing his xtreme. What consumption did you get fom the 3.5 on MS before you started the swap?
stevebubs

posted on 16/3/12 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
[snip]
There is some scoring, but a lot less than the filter housing I took off the TVR engine. My main problem is figuring out how to get the oil pipes off, those nuts are about 27mm across and I don't have spanners that big.

£10 in Halfords...?

scudderfish

posted on 1/4/12 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xtreme Kermit
Hey Dave, Chris on the quantum list is thinking of V8ing his xtreme. What consumption did you get fom the 3.5 on MS before you started the swap?

Oops, sorry I missed this. I got between 16 and 20mpg depending on driving and how much the engine was idling in the garage as I was tinkering. If fuel consumption is a concern, don't fit a V8! As the joke goes, it can pass anything on the road, except a petrol station.

scudderfish

posted on 1/4/12 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Small progress, life has been getting in the way of spannering. I got the front cover off my current engine and set about cleaning it. Whilst the one that came off the TVR engine was spangly, this one was the definition of filth, thick black crud. I've finally got the vast majority off apart from in the nooks and crannies that a toothbrush won't reach. I got the broken bolt out eventually (after WD40, heat & mole grips failed) but welding a nut on. I also got the oil pipes off the remote housing by applying more violence with adjustable spanners and pipe wrenches.
I was planning on getting most of the engine back together today, but discovered I'm missing a gasket between the block and the timing cover I don't hold out much hope of my local Halfords stocking it, given that the last time I was in there the youth behind the counter was unaware that an alternator was a common component of cars. Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to ebay I go....

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 1/4/12 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Time for a stand and natter up the pub with the SG7s then...

See you there in an hour!

scudderfish

posted on 1/4/12 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote

Got the heads on and torqued down. That gasket you can see hanging on the engine is the one I thought I didn't have. I found it when I was hunting for my rocker cover gaskets. Shame I've already ordered a replacement...

scudderfish

posted on 14/4/12 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Activity!

I fitted the oil pump gubbins to the front cover. Kate helped by packing it with vaseline in prep for priming. 8 year old fingers are great for the little jobs Then the water pump bolted up, and finally I got the front cover on the engine.

This cover and water pump are significantly shorter than the ones I took off, I'll post up a picture of the crank pulleys some time as a comparison.

I've got my old rocker covers on, but I think with a bit of a tweak I'll be able to get the TVR ones under my bonnet. I'll try and get the sump on this afternoon so that the engine is oil tight (right way up), and I can finally sweep up the kitty litter.

Regards,
Dave

scudderfish

posted on 14/4/12 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Here are the two pulleys, TVR on the left, mine on the right with a trigger wheel

I also got the sump on :-

On reflection, I should have treated the surface rust and painted it, but I didn't actually pay much attention to it until I was dropping it on. I'll do that the next time I change the oil, I just want to get on with this now as it's been taking too long.

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 14/4/12 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote

Looks like a good day at the office!

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.