Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  2    3    4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: T89 Designs - Project SSL Build Diary
Rosco86

posted on 6/4/16 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
looks very smart! cant wait to see a finished one in the flesh!

My Build Thread

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 7/4/16 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Blue!

Chassis collected from the powder coaters today, its looks amazing in bright blue:

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Collecting the aluminium for the panels this week and then its on with the final push to assemble it.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MitchMk3

posted on 12/4/16 at 01:34 AM Reply With Quote
This is a great looking build. I like the idea of a full set of plans for the car as well.

A few questions:
What diff and rear end did you end up using? The build diary mentions both Freelander and Sierra gear.
With the rear uprights how do you envisage home builders accessing/making them?
Would you supply any electronic drawings for people to have parts laser cut locally? (I'm in Australia)

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 12/4/16 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
I have just sent you a U2U Mitch which should answer all of your questions.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 22/4/16 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Some good progress on the sales and design front recently. I have just picked up a complete MX5 rear end so that I can do the much-requested MX5 Driveline option:

Description
Description

Also the final build up has started, its not much but the Bib went on last night and all of the floor/bulkhead panels are now cut and folded:

Description
Description

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 25/4/16 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Loads of Progress

I have been pushing on with final assembly this weekend. Thanks to my mates for helping lift the engine in.

The chassis is now panelled, engine & drivetrain are in and the steering and loads of other bits are being built up.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

(yes I know the propshaft need re-phasing)
Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Steering drop plate needs a stiffening rib adding:
Description
Description

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Rosco86

posted on 25/4/16 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good now pal

My Build Thread

Dopdog

posted on 28/4/16 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosco86
Looking good now pal

yeah great job looking forward to seeing it

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 13/5/16 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Updates

A good few updates on progress. I have now set a deadline to be running at the NSCC Curborough Sprint on July 2nd so I now have a looming deadline to finish the car. Realistically I have 5 weeks to get it done so that I can get everything ready to go.

Sales are also doing well, numbers are modest but my goal was simply to sell more than Zero and I have long since surpassed that. Lots of interest and I think sales will accelerate when the car is out in the world competing.

Anyway some pictures:

Rear uprights machined (just need holes drilling for suspension pick-ups:
Description
Description

Front Hubs:
Description
Description

I piggybacked the original bike woring loom onto the car and started the engine at the weekend. I have since chopped the loom down to remove the unnecessary bits and started it up again to check I didn't knacker anything and it all works fine:
Description
Description

Steering in and looking good:
Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 31/5/16 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Uninterupted Build Weekend

So I managed to wrangle from 11am Saturday to 11am Monday as uninterrupted 'garage time'.

I ordered up every part I thought I would need, bought some beer and pizza and moved the TV into the garage (ready for Monaco "wow", Indy 500 "awesome" and Top Gear "oh dear" ) . Managed about 29 hours work in total and took the car from a "Chassis with an Engine" to an almost rolling car.

The drivetrain is complete, tested and run up. The suspension is all fitted but just waiting on Coilovers and a couple of bolts, the controls are all fitted and the brakes are nearly done.

Engine bay all finished:
Description
Description

Rear Wing and Post Fitted:
Description
Description

Description
Description

Front Suspension Fitted (note that the dampers are just dummies and are 2" too short)
Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Rear Suspension Done (the rear dampers are also Dummies that are too short)
Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Really now its just a case of getting and fitting the dampers, making the bodywork and finishing the brake lines.

[Edited on 31/5/16 by Doctor Derek Doctors]

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 13/6/16 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Driveline and Rear End

The rear end is now complete (well aside from commissioning), all of the suspension and driveline are built up. The exhaust is done (in true 'locost' style it cost £27). I ran it up through the gear yesterday and all works perfectly.

To complete the front end I now just have to fit the front struts (when the springs arrive) and finish one brakeline when the fitting arrives.

Anyway; Exhaust, its not too everyones taste but it is proper 'Locost', the manifold and rear can from the donor bike, with e universal silencer and a 90° bend.

Description
Description

Rear suspension is now also finished:

Description
Description

Hopefully I'll have pictures of the finished front end tonight and then its just panelling.

The car has to be finished within 7 days.... to leave me two weeks to get ready for its debut at Curborough on July 2nd.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

big_wasa

posted on 13/6/16 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
The mx5 option you mentioned a few posts back, will that include front and rear uprights or are you thinking just the diff ?
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 13/6/16 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
The mx5 option you mentioned a few posts back, will that include front and rear uprights or are you thinking just the diff ?

Its actually complete, have sold quite a few of the MX5 version (mainly outside of the U.K as the rest of the world don't have the access to Sierra diffs like we do). Anyway, it uses the MX5 Diff, driveshafts, rear uprights, rear hubs and brake calipers. The geometry on the front uprights was so far removed from what I'm using there was no way they would fit but the rear geometry was almost the same as what I had.

The chassis is the same for the two versions but the rear wishbones and propshaft are different.

The MX5 version is heavier but its cheaper and also gives the option of a handbrake.

At some point I want to get round to doing a hybrid version that uses the MX5 diff and driveshafts but my aluminium rear uprights and Wilwood brakes. So people can have the availability of the MX5 diff but without the weight penalty.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

big_wasa

posted on 13/6/16 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
I will keep watching progress
Rosco86

posted on 13/6/16 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good, I might have a ride over to see it on the 2nd

My Build Thread

daniel mason

posted on 13/6/16 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Have you entered Blyton in July Callan? There's a good number in 5a already entered
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 13/6/16 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
Have you entered Blyton in July Callan? There's a good number in 5a already entered

I'm going on holiday with my little family the weekend after Curbourogh, I need to spend some time with my little family after the last couple of weeks and I think my stress levels might reached coronary levels by then!

Think I'll run a couple of sprint in August

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 15/6/16 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Front Suspension and Seat

Front Suspension and Brake Lines were finished off last night. Obviously its on full droop being up on the stands:

Description
Description

Description
Description

Also instead of using the standard "Foam Bag" seat I have just used a low price OMP Kart seat, it fits perfectly and is rather comfortable:

Description
Description

Just the harness to bolt in and then its bodywork.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 17/6/16 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Wide Wheels

Tried the 9x13 Revolution wheels on last night, everything clears and they look wiiidddddeeeee!

Description
Description

Description
Description

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

phelpsa

posted on 17/6/16 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
What size slicks are going on there? 8/22?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 17/6/16 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
230/570 Radials, seem to be a common size without requiring mega expensive wheels. The Revolutions were £114 each for the rear.

[Edited on 17/6/16 by Doctor Derek Doctors]

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Neville Jones

posted on 17/6/16 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Are you going to compete with this car???

You can 'overtyre' a car, and that little light(ish) car doesn't need anywhere near those size tyres, particularly with the power in it.

Then there's the weight of the big tyres, added to the big wheels. The extra is going to be a significant percentage of the total weight.

£114 for the 9" Revolution wheels, is that second hand, or are they not the lightened competition wheels that Revolution do that cost over £150 normally?

Intrigued, to say the least.

We estimated that by swapping to 10" wheels for the 600 car, we could save near to 10kg's over the 13" wheels, and possibly a lot more. 10" quad bike wheels weigh about 2.5 kg's, and less than £200 for 4. Hoosier tyres on the other hand, aren't cheap, even worse are the Dunlops. and Avons.

Cheers,
Nev.

[Edited on 17/6/16 by Neville Jones]

phelpsa

posted on 17/6/16 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
Are you going to compete with this car???

You can 'overtyre' a car, and that little light(ish) car doesn't need anywhere near those size tyres, particularly with the power in it.

Then there's the weight of the big tyres, added to the big wheels. The extra is going to be a significant percentage of the total weight.

£114 for the 9" Revolution wheels, is that second hand, or are they not the lightened competition wheels that Revolution do that cost over £150 normally?

Intrigued, to say the least.

We estimated that by swapping to 10" wheels for the 600 car, we could save near to 10kg's over the 13" wheels, and possibly a lot more. 10" quad bike wheels weigh about 2.5 kg's, and less than £200 for 4. Hoosier tyres on the other hand, aren't cheap, even worse are the Dunlops. and Avons.

Cheers,
Nev.

[Edited on 17/6/16 by Neville Jones]

I think the aim is to be a fun car rather than competitive?

Unfortunately there aren't any really competitive tyres made in 10" at the moment. Avon are making one in A92 but the 16" OD makes them impractical. Hoosier LC0s are too floppy for anything over 150kg's and R25Bs take too long to heat up.

The competitive 600 cars used to run 6.2/20 13 crossplys in A45 on the front and 8.0/21 13 in A92 on the back, but Avon have discontinued the A45 compound now. Personally I'd be looking at 7" front and 8" rear in A92 or even A15. They're common second hand, pretty cheap new and will last a couple of seasons.

[Edited on 17-6-16 by phelpsa]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CNHSS1

posted on 17/6/16 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Its worth noting that using smaller rolling radius slicks 20" vs 21" or 22", the tyre footprint is significantly altered.
A92 fronts and possibly rears for hills, but may need to be A15 rears for long sprints (Ty Croes for instance)

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

daniel mason

posted on 17/6/16 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
A15's all round for me on a mix of hills and sprints.
<<  2    3    4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.