Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  3    4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: T89 Designs - Project SSL Build Diary
Neville Jones

posted on 18/6/16 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
We've got 13" slicks here, which were destined for single seaters. ( Don't ask. My son would get in strife if I made it public. ) A bit different to the norm, and very sticky when you get the skin off, from very cold to hot.

Unlike nearly all slicks, these don't harden with use, just get a dry surface on the top after three or so days. Take the skin off, and you've got a tyre that sticks to a smooth concrete floor, cold. Sounds like tearing gaffer tape off when you move them. They come plastic wrapped. Getting the skin off needs some time and 80 grit sandpaper though!

Nearly every major tyre maker does slicks, you just have to be prepared to venture from the accepted standards to find what works. Tyre chemistry and chemical formulations are as many as the stars in the sky.

Cheers,
Nev.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 20/6/16 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Some Parts

Wheels and tyres fitted and most of the bodywork cut and folded:

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 20/6/16 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ready to Roll

The running gear is now all done (apart from a geo set-up), brakes are bled and everything is ready to go. Just need bodywork (still), craning it down off the chassis stands was a tense moment:

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 20/6/16 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
I didnt want to store a trailer or drive a van...

But I still needed a racecar transporter.

1995 Chevy K1500 Long Bed, converted to a racecar transporter, its a bit limited to cars with a <2400mm ( ~94" ) wheel base and very little overhang but it means not having the storage issue or faff of a trailer and being able to drive around in something I like driving.

I think it may be the best "petrolhead" thing I have done:

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 20/6/16 by Doctor Derek Doctors]

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Rosco86

posted on 20/6/16 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
looks wicked, also looks great on the truck, be nice to see it with the body work on, how much simpler is a build with no IVA to worry about!!

My Build Thread

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 20/6/16 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosco86
looks wicked, also looks great on the truck, be nice to see it with the body work on, how much simpler is a build with no IVA to worry about!!

Its the same, just replace "IVA" with "MSA"..... actually it is simpler but the MSA stuff is usually things that need to be correct early in the design/build so if you get them wrong it can be very difficult to fix (see all of the ROPS debate on Uphill Racers at the moment)

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

prawnabie

posted on 20/6/16 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Are you still going to make Curborough on Saturday? I will planning on coming for a look in the morning...
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 20/6/16 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
Are you still going to make Curborough on Saturday? I will planning on coming for a look in the morning...

I'm planning on it, if I'm not there you'll find me in a straight jacket being carted away as my brain has finally overloaded.

It's very much going to be a shakedown debut, pottering round to make sure it all works and get some pictures and data.

But then again when that light goes green...

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 30/6/16 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
FRont Wing & Curborough

I finished off the front wing and nose panel last night, doesn't look half bad:

Description
Description

Description
Description

Also, sorry to let people down but I wont be at Curborough this weekend. I mentioned it on Facebook but it became clear that the amount of work I was doing was affecting my health and my family life and also making me a miserable basterd (even more so than usual) which wasn't fair on anyone. I'm still cracking on with the final jobs but at my own pace. I'd say August is a realistic target.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

ftaffy

posted on 1/7/16 at 02:30 AM Reply With Quote
Its looking amazing, great work and dont fret about pushing back the due date. No point building it and then it becoming the thing of hatred.

Waiting to see videos of it in action!

Cheers,
Taffy

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 1/7/16 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Terrapin Size Comparison

I got my set of Terrapin plans through earlier in the week so thought I would knock up a quick 3D model of the Terrapin chassis based on the plans for a quick comparison.

I deliberately never looked at the Terrapin plans before I started my project (so that I wouldn't just be making a knock off) but did use a number of Staniforth books for reference. I quite surprised and pleased out the comparison particularly on the size and position of the chassis tubes.

Anyway:
Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 25/7/16 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
3D Printed Air Intakes

I've had these printed up by a guy I'm working alongside and think they are a great little finishing touch for the car. They are printed in ABS so are pretty darn sturdy. The set comprises of two adaptors that fit into the ram-air intake of the original Honda airbox and a roll hoop mounted air-intake. So much easier than manufacturing something from Ali' or GRP and they fit perfectly, the main limitation is the size, the roll hoop intake is right on the limit of size in all three directions.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Just waiting for the connector hose to arrive and they can be plumbed up.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 25/7/16 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Debut! and some more pictures...

I have been asked a few times when the car is going to debut and if I can post some more general pictures so thought I would answer both.

I am now booked in for a test at Curborough on August 25th, hopefully its just a few last jobs to get done now and it should be ready to run.

And here are a load of general pictures I took last night:

Rear wing post, adjuster and exhaust:
Description
Description

Exhaust tail pipe:
Description
Description

Engine bay (still some tidying up to do):
Description
Description

Seat (harness just requires bolting in):
Description
Description

Gear and Clutch Lever:
Description
Description

Description
Description

Front Corner:
Description
Description

Front End:
Description
Description

Exhaust (total cost of £27):
Description
Description

Rear Corner:
Description
Description

Description
Description

Currently Untidy wiring:
Description
Description

Pedals:
Description
Description

[Edited on 25/7/16 by Doctor Derek Doctors]

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

worthidlj

posted on 25/7/16 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Those 3D printed parts look very smooth and very nice!

Do you know what printer he used to make them and if he did any post processing to smooth the surfaces?

Cheers,
David

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 26/7/16 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by worthidlj
Those 3D printed parts look very smooth and very nice!

Do you know what printer he used to make them and if he did any post processing to smooth the surfaces?

Cheers,
David

I don't really know anything about the printer apart from the fact its a personal printer and not some massive industrial thing so quite reasonably priced.

I do know that there is no post processing, the ABS just seems to come out really nice. It can look a bit rough where support material has been cut away though.

I have had a set of T89 Centre caps made for my truck in the same way and they look even better.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 29/7/16 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Corner Weights

Managed to get the car set-up over the last couple of nights and borrow some corner weights... pretty pleased with the results. I have been aiming at 330Kg for a ready-to-run car and ended up at 327kg with 2l of fuel on-board but the wings removed (they were driving me mad getting in the way while doing the set-up work).

I'm mainly pleased because my car is about as heavy as you would ever build one, it has the lower cost steel pedals and coilovers, a slightly heavier earlier chassis design, a cheap (and ruddy heavy) Jetex Silencer as well as a steel bike end can and a set of rally spec wheels that aren't light at all. Also there is plenty of weight to be removed in optimising bolt length and weight reduction on the rear hubs.

Also despite the nay-sayers I have managed to keep the weight offset to a minimum with just 6kg across the rear wheels (without jacking the RH side up) which I'm happy with.

I think with a little bit of simple weight reduction 310Kg is achievable for a complete car.

Description
Description

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Fcck2000

posted on 6/8/16 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
This is the first place I come to when I visit this forum. What you've done and how well you've done it is seriously impressive. Please keep the updates coming and be sure to take plenty of videos when up and running.

Paul

Tiger SSC
220bhp on standard MZR Duratec engine with throttle bodies and mild camshaft upgrade.

daniel mason

posted on 6/8/16 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Well done Callan. Some good testing needed now!
40inches

posted on 6/8/16 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fcck2000
This is the first place I come to when I visit this forum. What you've done and how well you've done it is seriously impressive. Please keep the updates coming and be sure to take plenty of videos when up and running.

Paul

Agree 100%

daniel mason

posted on 6/8/16 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
And to top it all off,he's an honest,likeable guy! What's not to like?
It would be great to have a few more 1000cc race cars out next year!

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 6/8/16 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, encouragement always appreciated.

As mentioned we are booked to run on the 25th of August and its literally only finishing touches left to do. If that goes well I want to enter the NSCC champ' event at Harewood in September.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 7/8/16 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
A couple of little bits.

Managed to grab a few moments over the weekend and the little job I managed was to remove the seized on Jedi wing end plates, clean them up and fit my own stickers. Its a little thing but it seems like a huge step to be fitting my own branding to my own car:

Description
Description

Description
Description

Also some new 3D printed Ram-Air intakes were completed for a customers cars to fit a GSXR600 engine:

Description
Description

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 25/8/16 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Curborough Shakedown

Went for the initial shakedown and some testing at curborough today.

The car was excellent, even better than I expected. I was particularly pleased with the really predictable neutral handling. Steering, brakes, suspension and chassis were all superb.

Only teething problems were a slipping clutch (i should have forseen this on an engine with 41k on the clock) and some overheating caused by a faulty fan switch. Oh and the rain, the bloooooodddyyyy rain!

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

StevieB

posted on 25/8/16 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
It looks really good - still waiting to move house but still want to get some plans once I'm in and set up!
Sam_68

posted on 26/8/16 at 05:04 AM Reply With Quote
Looks very good - more simple and Jedi-like than I expected, in the whole (which is a good thing)!

When is its competition debut?

<<  3    4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.